The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2015 Metro Vancouver Transportation and Transit Plebiscite - Result In - 62% NO

DonLever

Well regardless, ignoring the politics I don't know how you vote no on this. Is it perfect, no. But voting no on this just means worse traffic, crappier transit, less business, etc etc.

This impacts everyone and to say no just because you think translink sucks is incredibly short sighted.

I am voting yes and encouraging others to do so.

But it's still going to be a loss for me.

We all just agreed the politicians are self serving idiots, so ignoring them, and in the best interests of the region, I'm voting yes.

Politicians just pander to the voters. If the voters wanted wise, reasoned long term planning, politicians would give it to them to get elected.

We all just agreed the politicians are self serving idiots, so ignoring them, and in the best interests of the region, I'm voting yes.

I am voting yes and encouraging others to do so.

But it's still going to be a loss for me.

As will I, in large part thanks to you two. There's something to it when you two agree!

I wish the public could somehow counter this proposal by adding that with a 0.5% increase in PST, Translink needs to go under a full scale audit that is conducted by a third party and release all budgeting details of Translink.

Considering how many tax dollars go into this s**tstorm of a company, I think the public deserves to know what exactly goes on.

Despite that, I'm probably still going to vote yes.

Oh, and light rail for Surrey? Why? It seems like a quick stop-gap solution to just please those south of the Fraser for the time being. Surrey is a growing city, the demand for more transportation is going to rise quickly, and I don't think a light rail system will have the capacity to manage that...why not just put in plans to eventually put a full scale skytrain extension for Surrey...light rail seems like a short-sighted short term decision.

Oh, and light rail for Surrey? Why? It seems like a quick stop-gap solution to just please those south of the Fraser for the time being. Surrey is a growing city, the demand for more transportation is going to rise quickly, and I don't think a light rail system will have the capacity to manage that...why not just put in plans to eventually put a full scale skytrain extension for Surrey...light rail seems like a short-sighted short term decision.

Yes, as a resident of that side of the river (Langley), I can't believe how Surrey is constantly forgotten in transit plans over the years.

Surrey is the second largest city in the province and is projected to become the largest - surpassing the city of Vancouver - in the next few years. Surrey's population is 400,000. Yet Surrey has a whole 4 (I think?) Skytrain stations.

Compare that to New Westminster: a population of 65,000, yet it has 5 skytrain stations. More than Surrey with about 15% of the population.

And also compare to Burnaby: population of 225,000 and an incredible 11(!!!) Skytrain stations. Half the population of Surrey and 3 times the stations. Makes so much sense!

And don't get me started on how awful Langley's public transit is. Might as well be non-existent...

The Mayors Council has passed the Transit referendum question:

Do you support a one half percentage point increase (0.5%) to the PST in Metro Vancouver dedicated to a regional transportation plan?

It will be a mail in ballot sometime in the spring.

NOPE, hell no. All I see is increase in fares, taxes etc. with same or worst services.

No

Money won't solve Translink's incompetence, and I'm far too lazy to link all the hubbub over the years

Screw Translink, they just keep wasting people's money with their stupid plans and they keep raising fares and taxes to cover for their incompetence.

Because 5% of a six figure salary doesn't begin to dent the budget in billions of dollars in needed infrastructure?

I swear it's going to take the Putello bridge falling into the river on a Friday afternoon commute (which would require nothing more than a MODERATE earthquake to occur) for people to figure out that our whole infrastructure system is inadequate, obsolete, and in a state of general disrepair.

But hey, why think of practical solutions when we can take a shot at the current government right?

People say no because instead of taking taxpayer's money for more important needs like the improvement to Putello bridge, they spend it on useless projects like the compass program. Maybe, just maybe if they could make wiser decisions on where to spend the money, people would not be complaining. I just think that their overspending and unwise spending is the reason why people are fed up with this BS.

LOL, rule number one about government. You don't ASK if you can raise the taxes. It will always fail.

And besides, what has Translink proven that they can run the system efficiently? I mean, they predicted that the Canada Line would not reach full capacity until 10 years later. Yet, after the first year it was jam packed. Of course, they wouldn't know that cuz they never take it during rush hour. It only took them a year and a half to increase the train frequency from 3-5 mins from 5-7 mins for more than 3 hours of the day.

And the compass card is just a huge debacle and eye sore right now. I mean, how hard is it to emulate a system used in Japan or Hong Kong that has been running for years with exponentially more users? It's not like they are working on something revolutionary.

People say no because instead of taking taxpayer's money for more important needs like the improvement to Putello bridge, they spend it on useless projects like the compass program. Maybe, just maybe if they could make wiser decisions on where to spend the money, people would not be complaining. I just think that their overspending and unwise spending is the reason why people are fed up with this BS.

This post is a big reason why I'm not hopeful about this vote, ignorance.

People blame translink for all these issues, the majority of which aren't their fault. The liberals forced the compass program on translink, translink said they didn't want it, that it's not worth it. But the liberals said do it anyway.

Don't blame translink for stupid liberal decisions.

LOL, rule number one about government. You don't ASK if you can raise the taxes. It will always fail.

And besides, what has Translink proven that they can run the system efficiently? I mean, they predicted that the Canada Line would not reach full capacity until 10 years later. Yet, after the first year it was jam packed. Of course, they wouldn't know that cuz they never take it during rush hour. It only took them a year and a half to increase the train frequency from 3-5 mins from 5-7 mins for more than 3 hours of the day.

And the compass card is just a huge debacle and eye sore right now. I mean, how hard is it to emulate a system used in Japan or Hong Kong that has been running for years with exponentially more users? It's not like they are working on something revolutionary.

See again, blaming translink for dumb provincial decisions. The Canada line was built through a p3, meaning it's up to the third party operator to decide when to add trains etc. Save a little money up front for this kind of result. Same with the shorter platforms. Stupid liberal decisions, not translink.

See again, blaming translink for dumb provincial decisions. The Canada line was built through a p3, meaning it's up to the third party operator to decide when to add trains etc. Save a little money up front for this kind of result. Same with the shorter platforms. Stupid liberal decisions, not translink.

And who's to say that we won't vote yest to this additional tax only to have the Liberals (or someone else) interfere with ignorant, wasteful policy decisions again?

You've just given two pretty good examples of why people should vote no.

And who's to say that we won't vote yest to this additional tax only to have the Liberals (or someone else) interfere with ignorant, wasteful policy decisions again?

You've just given two pretty good examples of why people should vote no.

You could say that about any policy decision. It would be foolish to say no to this based on erroneously blaming translink for provincial decisions.

Of course government wastes money, that's no surprise, but saying no...it just dooms this region for a generation. That will cost all of us more guaranteed.

As per CTV:

The ballot wording as approved by the mayors is: “Do you support a one half percentage point (0.5%) increase to the Provincial Sales Tax in Metro Vancouver, dedicated to the Mayors’ Transportation and Transit Plan, with independent audits and public reporting?”

Read more: http://bc.ctvnews.ca/final-transit-referendum-question-proposes-pst-hike-1.2143701#ixzz3M1uhUrEz

If meaningful audits are to be guaranteed along with this tax hike, then I'm all for this. It's time we start catching up with the rest of the world, our transportation system has been way behind for far too long.

As per CTV:

If meaningful audits are to be guaranteed along with this tax hike, then I'm all for this. It's time we start catching up with the rest of the world, our transportation system has been way behind for far too long.

These audits cannot reverse the damage that has already been done. The system is broken and corrupt. Executives have said no to the best options and have opted to get in cahoots with their friends. Compass.

Archived