The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Should Benning make another attempt at Reinhart?

please add substance

And capitals, punctuation, sentence structure - really anything that'll read as proper English.

Please give one quote directly from Benning that he would take Reinhart.

Please stop being a mini-mod.

Just stop.

I saw Reinhart play several games in Buffalo this season and he wasnt very good. He is a very good junior player and is lighting it up on an overstacked Canadian junior squad. Cody Hodgson once won the WJ's scoring remember?

Buffalo tanked an entire season to get Reinhart so unless we cough up Virtanen, Horvat and Shikaruk the Sabres hang up.

I saw Reinhart play several games in Buffalo this season and he wasnt very good. He is a very good junior player and is lighting it up on an overstacked Canadian junior squad. Cody Hodgson once won the WJ's scoring remember?

Buffalo tanked an entire season to get Reinhart so unless we cough up Virtanen, Horvat and Shikaruk the Sabres hang up.

That goes without saying. That's why he didn't stay in the NHL. He didn't have the physical tools to compete with fully grown men. He's an excellent player with great skill but he's not ready for prime time until he develops a man's body.

Here's a good read on Reinhart from WGR: http://www.wgr550.com/pages/20229199.php?

Buffalo, NY (WGR 550) -- After the Sabres went out for practice, Tim Murray met with Sam Reinhart to tell him he’s going back to junior.

It seemed like it was a pretty obvious decision. One of the most obvious things in watching Reinhart play was how overmatched he was physically. Murray said, “He’s not going to learn a whole lot there on the ice, I told him I know he can go back there and be a 120 point guy in a full season playing three quarters speed, but that’s not what we want him to go back there and do.”

I know at face value, that statement might seem like Murray has lost his mind, but he told Reinhart what he needs to accomplish, “We want him to go back there and get stronger and he’s going to have to find a way that when he’s tired and he’s had his workouts with his team on ice and off ice and he goes home for a nap or has dinner and he’s going to have his rest, he’s going to have to find a way two or three times per week to slip out on his own to get to the gym and get stronger.”

Murray said, “The biggest factor was watching him play, the minutes he got here, the situations he played in here, told me that it was time to go back.” Of course Reinhart was down, “With me he was good, but when he left me he was emotional and disappointed. He should be disappointed and I told him that, ‘Be disappointed, you’re allowed to be disappointed'.”

Many fans have no idea how to develop young players. They want all the 18-21 year olds in Buffalo and playing despite not being ready for the NHL. Murray disagrees with that philosophy, “For an 18 year old player, I don’t see the value of you can sit on the bench and workout versus going back to junior. Great players have gone back to junior.”

Murray also felt losing didn’t help, “The start we’re off to as a team has an effect on a young guy. A young guy plays to what the team is doing. If the team’s really successful, I think some individual success comes to young players. If the team is going through a rough patch, that kid will go through the rough patch with the team and the 18 year old is not the guy that can get you out of the rough patch.”

Murray of course wants the kid to succeed, but keeping him here isn’t what’s best, “It’s an emotional day, I told him you’re my first first round draft pick as a GM and I was cheering for him, but I can’t let emotion come into play, it has to be the decision that’s right for the organization and him. It can’t be the right decision for me.”

Rushing young players is such a mistake and has been proven time and time again not to work. Murray said, “The group of guys, Johansen, Getzlaf, Perry, I mean they’re superstars in our league and they didn’t play from day one, so it’s about patience, it’s about doing the right thing and I believe this is the right thing.”

Nolan could see Reinhart was overwhelmed after three games and he reduced his ice time. Nolan said, “We all know his hockey intelligence, we all know he’s going to be a big, big player here. I think the biggest thing is the strength factor, being banged off the puck wouldn’t be good for his confidence so this will be good.” Nolan added, “He’s a fine young man and there wasn’t one negative thing that I saw, but we had to make sure we made the right decision for him. Are we 100 percent right all the time? Probably not, but, it was a collective choice. Look at Grigorenko down in Rochester, throwing him into the fire too premature, sometimes hinders development, so right now it’s about putting people in the right place and these kids have to develop and when they do, we’ll be a great team.”

didnt dave nonis offer like 5 1st rounders to philly so he can draft kyle turris. look how he turned out.

What does Turris have to do with Reinhart? That 3rd overall pick had "stupid" written all over it. Turris was a 2 year Tier II Junior A player who went on to have one slightly above average year in college with the Badgers where he only scored 11 goals in 36 games. How he was drafted so high is a mystery.

The report on Reinhart is in, he's a very good player that needs to develop a man's body. People here on CDC and around most of the hockey world said the same thing. Eckblad was the only truly NHL-ready player in the Top 10.

A better more realistic thread would be, "How to get Sam Bennett from Calgary". Calgary can't be too happy with him since he never admitted to having a shoulder injury before he was drafted that ended up knocking him out of action for 6 months. He's going to be a bit of a project now that he'll be a full season behind everybody else. Calgary needs players now, not 2 years from now as the case will be with Bennett.

One more season in juniors and a following season in the AHL, and Bennett will be NHL ready.

Now back on topic, Vancouver getting Sam Reinhart is a pipe dream that will never happen.

Well, trading for him is a pipe dream but no one said anything about signing him when he hits free agency ;)

That's very true. With all of the young top-tier talent that the Sabres have amassed, there will be players slipping out during free agency in the next 3-4 years so the Sabres can stay under the cap.

If Reinhart plays up to expectations, he'll get large offer sheets once his ELC is up.

whats wrong with

virtanen horvat shinkaruk

jensen mcann kassian

No offence to Horvat but he doesn't have the offensive ability to become a top line center in this league. Fantastic 2-way, defensive center but he's never had the finish nor offensive IQ needed to put up 70-90 points. He'll be a great 2nd line defensive center akin to Kesler.

Sure, Kesler could have been a first line center on a shallow team, but on a deep cup contender (which is what I'd like us to be in 3-5 years time) he's a 2nd line center, and exactly the same could be said for Horvat.

How many SC winners have drafted or traded for top 3 picks. I don't know the answer but the Oilers are a great example of why the two are not necessarily linked.

JB is from the "Boston school" i.e. you go for fast, gritty, skilful, usually large players who will win best of 7's by attrition. These type of players are hardly if ever in the top 5. There are some exceptions of course like Toews, Stamkos and Crosby but in the main the real winners come from further down and it is a skill to pick them out. I think Benning has that skill.

It's teams that win Cups and not usually individuals or teams filled with top 5 picks. Datsyuk was 171st o/a

I think these boards get too carried away with "bling" and don't think enough about grit and character.

How many SC winners have drafted or traded for top 3 picks. I don't know the answer but the Oilers are a great example of why the two are not necessarily linked.

JB is from the "Boston school" i.e. you go for fast, gritty, skilful, usually large players who will win best of 7's by attrition. These type of players are hardly if ever in the top 5. There are some exceptions of course like Toews, Stamkos and Crosby but in the main the real winners come from further down and it is a skill to pick them out. I think Benning has that skill.

It's teams that win Cups and not usually individuals or teams filled with top 5 picks. Datsyuk was 171st o/a

I think these boards get too carried away with "bling" and don't think enough about grit and character.

Um, Chicago. Toews and Kane were Top 3 picks.

I hear what you're saying but if I was going for bling I would have said lets get Domi who will be the shiny new toy of the moment no doubt for a lot of CDC. I only brought up Reinhart because I personally wanted JB to go hard for him at the draft and was confident he made a hard push for him then so why not now? You know when you get that gut feeling you'll see X player on your team? That's how I felt about him but like most posters have stated that time will probably only come via free agency.

Can't wait to see how this years draft shapes up for us as the crop is deep. I just wonder if we prioritize a defencemen before a C or just BPA..

No trades with Buffalo for now.

For me, the only thing I want to see is for the Nucks to win the Cup before the Sabres. If St Louis ever wins the Cup, they will be the last 1967 expansion team to win (give or take Oakland). Then, it becomes a contest between us and Buffalo to win the 1970 expansion race to the Cup. Don't want to have the longest Stanley Cup slump from franchise start.

Once the Sabres become a better team, that's when JB has to sabotage Buffalo's chances by pulling Sammy Pollock-like trades.

Comparing Reinhart to Hodgson is an insult. Reinhart is 100 times better. And he is definitely not slow. I don't know where you get your facts from.

That would be including you right?

It's called watching him. He is slow and he will not be a #1 center in the NHL, just wait and see. A #2 yes, but he won't be a first line center imo.

It's called watching him. He is slow and he will not be a #1 center in the NHL, just wait and see. A #2 yes, but he won't be a first line center imo.

His scouting reports come in as average skating speed, not slow. I think he's going to end up a step above what Chris Drury was in his prime. Basically a very skilled 2nd line player who by virtue of his high hockey IQ will be clutch when it counts. I'd be perfectly happy with that, as would any team.

Archived