The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Wpg minor

Not a chance the Jets do this. Ben is still fairly young and has looked good in the games he has played. Defensive depth is great to have, especially since 4th liners are easy to acquire via waivers, trades, or free agency.

Canucks are looking for defensive depth, Wpg is getting healthy and has too much, need 4th line help.

To Wpg

Zalewski

Sestito

To Van

Ben Chiarot

What now?! Not only is the Canucks defensive depth ok (we could use top end mind you) but Winnipeg has been tragically injured on defence for the past month or two. So much so that Chiarot has been forced to play on the top pairing with Byfuglien (who was also forced to switch back from forward). Bogosian is only just back from injury, playing his first game in over a month+. Enstrom is still out but could be back soon, but then Trouba and Stuart are out until February, and Clitsome had surgery today.

What now?! Not only is the Canucks defensive depth ok (we could use top end mind you) but Winnipeg has been tragically injured on defence for the past month or two. So much so that Chiarot has been forced to play on the top pairing with Byfuglien (who was also forced to switch back from forward). Bogosian is only just back from injury, playing his first game in over a month+. Enstrom is still out but could be back soon, but then Trouba and Stuart are out until February, and Clitsome had surgery today.

Interesting. They won't have too many defencemen when they come back healthy then, like on this road trip that injured players are going on.

Sure, Enstrom is getting closer, but just started skating again a week ago. When they're healthy, that's what the AHL team is for rather than trading away one of their young defenceman for our scraps.

Clitsome is out indefinitely and already on IR, and Trouba and Stuart are out until February. That leaves them with 8 D including Byfuglien, but they can move him back to forward (although I wouldn't as he's better on D) and drop Brouillette (if they haven't already) to make room really quick. Their only real addition they have to worry about is Harrison, but then they'd figure out what to do with someone like Pardy before they'd trade Chiarot for what you're offering to fix it.

Also, that'd put us at 9 D ourselves including Hamhuis (since he's travelling with the team and returning from injury soon). We could send Corrado down, but then we'd have decisions on just as many D as Winnipeg has.

Sure, Enstrom is getting closer, but just started skating again a week ago. When they're healthy, that's what the AHL team is for rather than trading away one of their young defenceman for our scraps.

Clitsome is out indefinitely and already on IR, and Trouba and Stuart are out until February. That leaves them with 8 D including Byfuglien, but they can move him back to forward (although I wouldn't as he's better on D) and drop Brouillette (if they haven't already) to make room really quick. Their only real addition they have to worry about is Harrison, but then they'd figure out what to do with someone like Pardy before they'd trade Chiarot for what you're offering to fix it.

Also, that'd put us at 9 D ourselves including Hamhuis (since he's travelling with the team and returning from injury soon). We could send Corrado down, but then we'd have decisions on just as many D as Winnipeg has.

Brouilette was sent down and cleared waivers.

Maurice has stated that as long as Byfuglien continues to play the way he has on defense (translation: more responsibly than before), he's staying right where he is.

Chiarot has to clear waivers if sent down, which wouldn't happen as he's been playing too well. He'll stay up for the remainder of the year.

If a defenseman gets traded this year, I expect it to either Pardy or Postma (Postma holds more value). However, I don't expect them to trade anyone until the off-season. At that point, they'll move either Enstrom or Postma (or both). Enstrom only moves in the off-season and if they expect Morrissey to be ready next season.

I just don't see them moving Chiarot - certainly not for that return. I'd doubt they're forced into making any kind of decision though until both Trouba and Stuart are back (the trade deadline isn't until the start of March).

Sestito unfortunately is viewed as an enforcer so the trend indicates he won't be targeted. But he's a good option for VAN as an injury call-up.

No idea what Zalewski's value is. I wasn't aware of this but he (and Kenins) attended the Jets training camp in 2013.

http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=676515

Chiarot is getting a lot of NHL minutes so I think it may be a stretch. If the Jets had interest in one of Zalewski/Sestito, I think the value would be closer to Keaton Ellerby.

WPG: Sestito/Zalewski

VAN: Ellerby

Archived