The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Horvat for Kessel

No.

I counter with:

Kassian $1.75 Mil

Higgins or Hansen $2.5 Mil provided he agrees.

Bieksa $4.5 Mil provided he agrees.

Cassels Junior doesn't count to cap

$8.75 Mil

For

Morgan Rielly $1.744

JVR $4.25

Franson $ 3.30

$9.29 Million

JVR more than makes up for Kassian, Rielly gives us a potential stud D-man for years. Franson fills the hole on the right side.

Gives Toronto $0.5 million more space. Then they can go with "Potential" in Kassian and Cassels. We get the top 6 forward we need, and fill in holes on our D. Even if Franson eventually walks Rielly and JVR makes up for it.

Nonutz would be the dumbest g.m in the nhl if he accepted that.

I'd easily do that. We'd be looking at:

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

JVR - Bonino - Burrows

Matthias - Richardson - Vey

Dorsett - Horvat - Hansen

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Franson

Rielly - Corrado

Stanton, Sbisa, Weber

Miller

Lack

That's pretty fracking stacked.

Ya usually your team is stacked when you absolutely fleece a team in a fantasy trade.

If you bring in Kessel it signals to the rest of your organization that you dont want to win. This dude is not a winner.

The TO media also think they can trade Phaneuf and Bozak. Bozak maybe, Phaneuf LOL not unless some team is wanting to get to the cap floor next year.

this

and why would any team want his cap hit unless they just needed a scorer to get to the finals

but that team would have to have a solid veteran core in place

and perhaps a roster spot for an enforcer.. to keep kessel in line, not the other team

as he really is not a team player

People are seriously turning down Kessel for Horvat? The only reason Benning doesn't blow his load when he receives that phone call is cause of cap constraints.

Honestly, I don't see how Kessel fits on our team. While he has skill, he's very streaky. Off the ice, it's been mentioned he's not great in the locker room. We have 12 slots in the forward position. His being in one of those slots would mean we'd have either an explosive offensive player, or a complete plug depending on the night. It's a risk and I think it's perfectly understandable why people don't want him on our team.

Horvat meanwhiile has been gradually learning the game, is defensively sound and has proven to mesh in the locker room. He is also the first 19-year-old we've had on the team since Kesler. If you had a similar player on the Leafs, would you trade for another Kessel?

People are seriously turning down Kessel for Horvat? The only reason Benning doesn't blow his load when he receives that phone call is cause of cap constraints.

Yes and here's why. His previous coach says he's a two weeks on/two weeks off player. JVR has 40 points, that's 3 points less, and for 1/2 the cap hit. Kessel is a complimentary player, and would fit an Anaheim or LA. But he doesn't make players around him better.

There are other forward prospects I'd rather go after than Kessel.

Yes and here's why. His previous coach says he's a two weeks on/two weeks off player. JVR has 40 points, that's 3 points less, and for 1/2 the cap hit. Kessel is a complimentary player, and would fit an Anaheim or LA. But he doesn't make players around him better.

There are other forward prospects I'd rather go after than Kessel.

Of course this is pretty shady reasoning, but once trading for Kessel (who is a premier goal scorer in this league), wouldn't we be able to flip him for a better prospect than Horvat?

No thanks. Never really been a fan of Kessel. Not sure what it is, but never been big on him. Sure his stats look pretty good, point a game+ for a few seasons but at a 8M cap hit, I find him a bit overrated.

Horvat, well a lot of people don't think this guy will be a top 6 50+pts guy, but nonetheless he will be a valuable asset in the future. He will (or at least is expected) be the 3rd liner that can shut down teams and still generate a bit of offense. People compare him to Malhortra with more offense though (although time will still tell. Hopefully he can be more like a Bergeron/Kesler type ;) )

Of course this is pretty shady reasoning, but once trading for Kessel (who is a premier goal scorer in this league), wouldn't we be able to flip him for a better prospect than Horvat?

Again, it's going to depend on which teams want him and the demand for him. While he is a premier goal-scorer in the league, he's also arguably the most inconsistent premier goal-scorer in the league coupled with locker room and publicity issues,

If he gets flipped, it will be to a team that's desperate for a player of his caliber. What will come back will likely be something more than a Horvat; however, there's not really place for Kessel here.

Because of this, Horvat's worth more to us than Kessel would be given the size of Kessel's contract. Other teams will have a different story to tell.

How is my reasoning shady, when JVR provides almost the same offence for less than half the cap hit? You can't just "flip" a player who's making $8 mill per season in a cap era either.

How is my reasoning shady, when JVR provides almost the same offence for less than half the cap hit? You can't just "flip" a player who's making $8 mill per season in a cap era either.

No no lol, I think you misunderstood. I wasn't referring to the JVR statement, just the portion where you said you wouldn't flip Kessel for Horvat (not that he would ever fetch Kessel). I was calling my reasoning shady for trading for a guy then trading him right after. In the hypothetical case that we could make OP's deal then we take it because Kessel could fetch us a better prospect than Horvat. of ccourse your last statement comes into play so my point is moot.

Archived