The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks at the Deadline

VANcanucks92

If the team is relatively healthy, I would not be surprised to see a couple of minor moves to clear up space. Could see Richardson, maybe, among the forwards, and could see Weber among the Dmen. If not healthy, I seriously doubt any moves. The only semi-interesting move left in Toronto, Phaneuf, would command too much, and the way he's been playing this year, I really don't think he would be much of an upgrade except maybe for the PP.

Now, if the bottom falls out...say they go winless on the road trip...then maybe a small firesale, with getting guys like Higgins to teams where maybe he could be a difference maker towards winning a Cup.

I also think that the Comets are going to be left alone as much as possible. It would do good for those guys to get the experience of playoff hockey, and possibly winning it all for the AHL.

Really, I believe most of the moves will be just prior to and during the draft.

I think the deadline will be very quiet for the Canucks. If the plan ends up being re-signing Dorsett, Matthias, and Richardson we will probably make a smaller trade or two like Weber for a late pick. If any of those three guys are not in the plans we will probably see them moved for picks/prospects.

I personally think a few contenders would be interested in guys like those or Higgins, Hansen, and Bieksa. But I don't expect any vets to be moved out at trade deadline.

Try to get a 2nd for Higgins or Hansen and trade Lack if they can get a 2nd or good prospect.

That would give us three 2nd round picks we could use to move up in the draft for our first pick.

All three 2nd round picks plus our first for the first overall pick and take McDavid.

If you had the 2nd overall, 3rd overall and 4th overall and trade it for 1st overall i doubt it would work.

Expecting a quiet deadline. Don't think Benning is initiating anything. He always says that he's open to opportunities.

Benning has said that he's going to wait until the draft to resolve the goalie situation. Most people think Lack will be traded. Other deals involving supporting players may also happen at this time. Benning would like draft picks in this deep year.

You have to wonder if all 3 UFA's will be resigned: Richardson, Matthias, Dorsett. All 3 are the sort of player that I think Benning wants to keep but can he sign them all for cap friendly contracts? Are Kennins and McMillan insurance?

For now, the Canucks are constructed with the Sedin line + 3 balanced lines (3rd lines if you will). There are a lot of players in the 3C slot as Bonino is very quiet offensively at 2C so, we have Bonino, Vey, Matthias, Richardson and Horvat. I wonder if 1 is moved at some point.

Does anybody think that Benning will get involved in the Toronto fire sale?

Would Bozak or JVR be of interest for top 6 help?

I'm thinking that the stars just don't align for any kind of a deal because organizational goals are too similar. Canucks and Leafs are both after the same sort of players.

Does anybody think that Benning will get involved in the Toronto fire sale?

Would Bozak or JVR be of interest for top 6 help?

I'm thinking that the stars just don't align for any kind of a deal because organizational goals are too similar. Canucks and Leafs are both after the same sort of players.

No, we're both looking for the same age players. Not a good trading partner.

Archived