The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

open letter-I give up...

aeromotacanucks

If not the saddest yesterday was one of the saddest days on my life.

So I decided do something I should be done sometime ago. an open letter...

yesterday was supposed to be a nice day. had an interview with an airline to try fly with them as B737 Co-Pilot. I have a large experience, fluency in English, FAA CPL License, lived abroad...

but looks like today nobody cares how qualified you are. they choose the cheap ones. and yesterday I noticed how dry some people can be. no matter the country...

Yesterday I supposed I was about to face a real interview, tecnical, knowledge, reviewing etc...

But they didn´t even look my documentation...

I stayed there for a 3 hours and received a dry "you failed. but can try again in 6 months..."

I love aviation, REALLY do. I love planes, all kind of them, small, big, fast, slow. all of them and I want fly all of them everywhere. I want fly in Brazil, in Africa, Russia, Alaska etc...

I also love people, I like see the people´s history and why they´re getting the plane. business, fun, see other relatives or just fly around. I like imagine I was part of their history for a brief moment...

but looks like the Brazilian aviation doesn´t care about me or my qualifications.

No. they prefer hire a 300 hours boy without english but not a 2000 hours man with FAA and full english...

yes. and you guys when come to Brazil and fly in Brazilian airlines don´t have a clue about this. flying on plaes piloted by rookies who never carried a passenger on their lifes before...

yesterday I noticed. Brazil doesn´t care a s@##@%t about me no matter how hard I work and how well I fly...

So I´m sorry. I´m giving-up from this country...

Brazil doesn´t deserve me. maybe other country on this planet can use my knowledge, my discipline, my skills and my english for something. and I will honor this country who recognise my skills...

it´s not about money. I want recognition. just that...

I don´t know what I gonna do yet. But I´m not gonna be in Brazil on my birthday. probably I will do something overseas where nobody knows me in person. probably some of you guys might see me there doing some job. hopefully related with aviation where I can use my skills for the best...

maybe working on a farm, driving a truck, dealing with computers, painting a house, driving a taxi or working for some company. maybe even serving the army or the navy to protect this country who said "welcome buddy!"

from now I gonna stay out the map for a while. Gonna go to a very small city where nobody knows where it is on the map. my grandpha lives there and invited me to go there and forget everything including the idiots who surrounded me all this long...

I´m tired of fake-friends. I´m tired of people who come to me just because I have a huge knowledge and I really like to study. in fact I study all the time...

sorry Brazil. I need real friends. I need friends that come to me to invite me for a party, a celebration or simply to see a hockey game....

...not to teach something. I´m not a God. I don´t have all the solutions...

so maybe I gonna stay out this forum for a month or 2 or maybe even more, starting the next week. but it´s not because I don´t like you guys or the Canucks. I really like you guys and the Canucks. that´s what make me diferent here, that´s what makes me a "bad ass because I like hockey"

But this guy here need a time to rebuild and start a new tomorrow. a tomorrow where my discipline, my skills and my hardworking motivation can honor a country that deserves me...

because Brazil doesn´t...

Rodrigo Mota

PS: nice replies will be welcomed. PMs will be replied untill I travel. I like people

I hope you find yourself happy and wanted in the very near future.

With your intelligence and skill level it should be a smooth transition.

Best of luck.

thank you very much buddy.

But I think the 1 year will be very very hard. but after that I might build a future where my skills can be used at 100% of the time.

as much I leave Brazil forever I don´t care what I gonna do overseas. I just want some recognition and real friends. and smile again.

if was up to me I would work in Alaska or some very remote place where nobody knows me in person. so I can start a new future...

well. at least my english is fluent (I speak better than I write), I´m good with computers and I like machines. also I´m not sick since I was 15...

Aviation is a tough gig no matter what country. The worst part is if you don't go through the military its insanely expensive to get hours. Any jobs you get to start out they pay you peanuts. And why? "Well that's the way it works..." or better still. "I had to go through this, so do you...". There needs to be a better way.

In some ways be thankful to be able to fly. My vision isn't good enough uncorrected, and it's too late in the game for me to get my commercial licence. (Short of me winning the lottery and getting laser surgery)

If you love flying, keep plugging away. If they are not accepting you it's probably their loss, not yours. Don't give up.

Or as it's been said to me. "Don't let the bastards beat you."

Aviation is a tough gig no matter what country. The worst part is if you don't go through the military its insanely expensive to get hours. Any jobs you get to start out they pay you peanuts. And why? "Well that's the way it works..." or better still. "I had to go through this, so do you...". There needs to be a better way.

In some ways be thankful to be able to fly. My vision isn't good enough uncorrected, and it's too late in the game for me to get my commercial licence. (Short of me winning the lottery and getting laser surgery)

If you love flying, keep plugging away. If they are not accepting you it's probably their loss, not yours. Don't give up.

Or as it's been said to me. "Don't let the bastards beat you."

you can fly using glasses. I use glasses. in USA even easier. the FAA is flexible...

but now. well. nice point. "it´s their loss". next time you come to Brazil and the Pilot does a "the book is on the table" speech remember.

"if they hired Rodrigo I would be listening an actual english speech and not some improvisation"

I´m not giving up from the Aviation. someday my qualifications will be recognised and I will be flying again better than ever...

but I´m saying "so long Brazil". paying peanuts or not my goal now is leave this country forever as soon as I can. I need a restart...

here´s my qualifications. but apparently in Brazil the dummer you are. the fast you´re hired...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rodrigo Nogueira Mota

Contacts: +5541-96336002 , +5541-99296060 (messages), +5541-3345-0418

E-mail: aeromota@yahoo.com.br , hotdemolition@gmail.com

Aircraft experience:

AB-115 (Aero Boero), Cessna 152, Cherokee 140, Cessna C-172 G1000, Cherokee 180, Tupi, P28T-
Corisco Turbo,PA34-Seneca, PA44-Seminole G1000, PA-32 Minuano (Cherokee Six), Cessna-310, Cessna

402,Aerocomander, BN-Islander. DHC-2 “Beaver”, DHC-3 “Otter”, DHC-6 “Twin-Otter”

FLIGHT EXPERIENCE:

BRAZILIAN JUNGLE-“BUSH PILOT” (GARIMPO): 4 YEARS AND 6 MONTHS

USA-STATES OF FLORIDA, SOUTH AND NORTH CAROLINA, ALABAMA, GEORGIA AND TEXAS...

FERRY FLIGHTS...

Flight hours logged: 2000 hours

FORMATION:

High School: Colégio Dom Bosco – Curitiba/PR

Private Pilot (PP) - Aero Club of Paraná / PR - February/2004

Commercial Pilot IFR (PC / IFR)-Aero Club of Paraná / PR - August 2006

Conclusion PC / IFR - October 24, 2007 - Aero Club of Londrina.

Twin engine /IFR- Eldourado do Sul / RS - April/2008

Sunrise Aviation- FAA CPL Multi IFR-July to October/2011

AIR LICENSES:

Commercial Pilot multi-IFR (ANAC CODE-117781)

FAA Commecial Multi Instrument Pilot (CPL)

Languages:

ENGLISH: Advanced / Fluent: Speak, Read, Write, understand.

Training basic level: English Culture - Curitiba / PR

plus: International Language Academy of Canada: January/February-2011 and living in Canada and USA...

ICAO-ENGLISH LEVEL 5 VALID UNTILL 06/2016 (ICAO-BRAZIL)

“FAA ENGLISH PROFICIENT” (FAA-UNITED STATES OF AMERICA)

ESPANISH: Basic Knowledge of reading technical manuals, phraseology Aeronautics and basic stuff

RUSSIAN: Basic Knowledge of reading technical manuals, phraseology Aeronautics and basic stuff

OTHERS:

SKILLS: Achieved, competent, coordinated, positive, qualified, versatile, hard-working, determined

HOBBIES: car racing, NHL (Ice Hockey), swimming, RC cars, boat and airplanes, Rockets

EXTRA-CURRICULAR COURSES:

CRM- Corporate Resource Management

Flight Safety Courses.

Aerospace Medicine (Intermediate Knowledge)

Advanced Knowledge of Computers: Systems, Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Microsoft Office,

Internet Explorer and various other types of software and hardware.

Logistics: (Basic Knowledge)

Jet Trainer Boeing 737NG- EJ Aviation Academy 2010/march

ILAC- International Language Academy Canada: Vancouver/BC/Canada- January/February-2011

Advanced Next-Generation Navigation training and approaches: GPS, GNSS, RNAV/VNAV, E-LORAN, LPV,

“Glass Cockpit” certified. USA-2011

tactical training in survival: jungle, sea, desert and arctic (ice). Brazil-2010, Canada and USA-2011

Anti-Ice and De-Ice technical and procedures: Canada-2011

I see you mentioned Alaska, you could try small airlines that fly the planes you have. I don't know what exactly you are looking for but transwest air and missinippi airways are 2 I know about, they fly in remote-ish areas, not Alaska but northern Sask/AB/Manitoba. I think there are a few more regional carriers out of edmonton or Ft. Mac. I imagine there would be some in BC too. You could start looking there, if you wanted to move to Canada

I see you mentioned Alaska, you could try small airlines that fly the planes you have. I don't know what exactly you are looking for but transwest air and missinippi airways are 2 I know about, they fly in remote-ish areas, not Alaska but northern Sask/AB/Manitoba. I think there are a few more regional carriers out of edmonton or Ft. Mac. I imagine there would be some in BC too. You could start looking there, if you wanted to move to Canada

Thanks buddy. :)

that´s a really nice thing you did :) they require "bush experience". :)

no problem at all. small airlines. a nice time to restart. since I already have the FAA wouldn´t be that hard to convert again...

Hi Rodrigo

I find myself in a similar predicament/frustration and know that it can make you question everything. I, too, am doing some of the same soul searching (so you are not alone). As the place that I live is moving so quickly around me and seemingly leaving me behind in its dust, I feel your pain but know that we'll both rise above and these are just blips on the radar.

Hang in there and know that you have friends here upon your return. And, in the meantime, the very best of luck to you.

Hi Rodrigo

I find myself in a similar predicament/frustration and know that it can make you question everything. I, too, am doing some of the same soul searching (so you are not alone). As the place that I live is moving so quickly around me and seemingly leaving me behind in its dust, I feel your pain but know that we'll both rise above and these are just blips on the radar.

Hang in there and know that you have friends here upon your return. And, in the meantime, the very best of luck to you.

but honestly. what piss me off is that how the hell an airline hire Pilots with basic english?

mean. the guy is flying a B737 and doesn´t know english!?

I was returning back to Curitiba and the Pilot did the speech in Portuguese. ok. everybody understood...

THEN the Pilot tried do some speech in english I couldn´t understand a word he was saying. looks like he was reading a paper...

I´m not the best one but I know my skills. while 95% of Brazilians have problem to speak english I can do that on the most natural way you can imagine.

I´m feeling bad, angry and sad because I can do much better, I can go better and I can improve better. but looks like nobody cares...

I don´t mind fly in USA, Canada on any other place. I was happy in Canada and my mistake was return to Brazil.

In Canada I wasn´t wierd and people recognised my effort and my improvement. many latinos need a long time to speak english but I was there enjoying and respecting the Canadian culture...

I just need a time to relax and say "ok. f$#¨$¨these idiots". the "otherwise" user pointed me some small airlines in Canada and I already sent an e-mail. since I have the FAA will not be that hard convert to the Canadian license...

but it´s a hard time. you ask for some help with some "Captains" and they don´t give a damm because they´re flying B777 and for them they´re gods and I´m nothing...

but this might change. I still have a Canadian flag in my house and I still have an USA flag in my house. it´s time to show some respect with 2 countries that respected me while I was there...

Such is life. I've been in situations where I had 3rd or even 4th interviews with major corporations and in the end they make their decision based on their own perceptions.

Also you have to remember that perception errors and biases are actually very commonplace within management and human resources at every level and is a significant cause for recruitment failures. Not to mention the dirty politics and nepotism that would transpire in certain countries and I'm sure that Brazil is no exception.

You can't change what's happened so you just have to keep moving forward and looking/trying with other opportunities.

And you know as well as I do that things could be worse...much worse.

Hard knock life. Do some research into various government initiatives. There are plenty of opportunities if the skills and qualifications you have meet the criteria of what's in need.

I have no clue as to the demand for commercial pilots, but it's worth a shot.

And just a word of wisdom/advice/whatever, your written English skills, at least as presented here in this thread do not demonstrate an advanced or fluent level of understanding.

Consider writing a TOEFL exam, and comparing your scores to minimum requirements/standard averages. Spoken English and Written English proficiency are two very different can of worms, but one is no less important than the other.

Again, this isn't to put you down and is just my observation, having known/dated a woman from Brazil who grew up mainly with Portugese/German as her primary languages, and being currently married to a woman from Mexico, I'm all too familiar with how difficult the English language can be to master -- let alone if you're born here.

Personally I don't claim to be a master of the English language; my grammar is rather bad on the best of days even if I know better. It's a difficult language to even get a basic grasp on if it's not your primary... long story short, don't put advanced or expert level anything unless you truly are. There's no shame in saying you only have moderate proficiency, as that's commendable in and of itself.

Best of luck, and hope you get to where you want to be.

Such is life. I've been in situations where I had 3rd or even 4th interviews with major corporations and in the end they make their decision based on their own perceptions.

Also you have to remember that perception errors and biases are actually very commonplace within management and human resources at every level and is a significant cause for recruitment failures. Not to mention the dirty politics and nepotism that would transpire in certain countries and I'm sure that Brazil is no exception.

You can't change what's happened so you just have to keep moving forward and looking/trying with other opportunities.

And you know as well as I do that things could be worse...much worse.

Exactly, you can only control that which you have control over - basically, yourself.

To give you something uplifting, my wife's a teacher, we moved to BC in 2012.

She has over 10 years teaching experience in 4 other Provinces.

She was told it would take years, 7 even, just to get on the TOC list here.

She made the TOC list her first year by continuing to apply for jobs.

Again, on the TOC list, she was told that it will take years to get on full time, that there are people with more seniority that have been TOC's for 10 years.

Not very encouraging.

Last year she got a 5 month full time contract.

This year, she got another contract that was guaranteed to last until end of Dec 2014, she is still on that contract.

Yes, she's not a "permanent" teacher yet, but we believe she will much sooner than the naysayers said.

Keep your chin up, and keep on smiling.

Archived