The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former NHL'er Andre Deveaux attacks opponent before Swedish playoff game.

Odd.

think the coach gave the orders?

No no, this was retribution for the previous game where he took a big hit from that guy.

A quote from yesterday's yahoo article: (context - playoff game for league promotion, which Devaux's team won)

Did Deveaux regret his actions?

“No. [Helmersson] played on. He was fine. I'll think about him while I celebrate with the team.”

Scumbag lowlife. I do hope they press charges and he gets burned.

So to the "courts need to stay out of sports" crowd I ask, is this not assualt? When a player agrees to step on the ice, should he expect to be assualted with a weapon while just standing there with his back turned?

This had nothing to do with hockey, it was just an attack on an unsuspecting victim. I'd like to believe that just because you have skates and a uniform on, that doesnt give you license to attack someone with a weapon.

That former NHLer Andre Deveaux will receive a very long suspension possibly for life from Swedish hockey seems to be a fait accompli. But Deveaux may have a lot more to be worried about than not being able to play hockey.

The former NHL enforcer, who viciously attacked Per Helmersson in a Swedish Allsvensken game last week, could face criminal charges. That is, if anyone can find him. Deveaux seems to have either gone into hiding or disappeared since the incident last week, which caused his Rogle team to terminate his contract yesterday.

But it was announced Tuesday that Deveaux has been arrested in absentia and is a suspect in assault. The case is being handled by police and prosecutors in Helsingborg, which is the city where the Rogle BK team Deveaux played for is located. Deveaux was not at a celebration for the team held at the rink Tuesday to commemorate its Allsvensken championship and promotion to the Swedish Elite League and nobody seems to know where he is, including the local police.

Joe Resnick, who was Deveauxs agent until this season, said Deveaux is married to a woman who has family in Rogle. But he has yet to turn himself in. An officer who answered the phone at the Helsingborg police station confirmed Deveaux is a suspect, but hasnt yet been located to be questioned. If you find him, let us know, said the officer who did not give his name.

But its clear Deveaux could be in some very serious legal trouble here. A report was filed to police by the Vasteras team on Monday, and another one was filed by Helsingborg prosecutor Eva-Marie Persson. I have not seen the news footage of the event, but only heard it referenced on the radio, Persson told the Helsingborgs Dagblad newspaper. But it is enough for me to find it reasonable to believe a crime was committed.

Another local prosecutor, Margareta Danielsson-Olvon told the newspaper that if Deveaux does not turn himself in soon, he risks being charged in absentia and being placed on an international wanted list.

This all goes back to a chain of events that occurred last week in the Allsvensken final between Rogle and Vasteras. It started in Game 3 when Helmersson hit Deveaux from behind into the boards and knocked Deveaux out. Deveaux had to be helped off the ice and did not play the rest of the game. It was thought Deveaux had cracked a bone in his jaw and possibly suffered a concussion, but Rogle GM Anders Carlsson said after the game, I cannot say whether or not it is a concussion yet.

Then during the warm-ups prior to Game 4 of the series, Deveaux attacked Helmersson from behind, giving him a two-handed chop to the back of the legs, then jumping on his back in a scene that looked eerily like the Todd Bertuzzi-Steve Moore attack. Deveaux was not penalized on the play and few people were even aware it had occurred. In an interview after the game when asked about the incident: It happens. It just goes to show how emotional and how both teams want to winit was a good precursor to the game. (Deveaux joined the post-game show at the 22:45 mark of the video below.)

Rogle went on to win the series in Game 5 in Vasteras and it was not until late in that game that the video began to go viral. When asked about the incident after the game, Deveaux said he had no regrets. The video also showed Deveaux speaking to assistant coach Mikael Gath just prior to the attack. But Gath has said that he knew nothing of Deveauxs intentions and that Deveaux had simply told him that he was fit to play the game.

Deveaux, who played 31 games in the NHL, has not been in the league since November, 2011 when he was suspended three games for an elbow to the head of Tomas Fleischmann, then of the Florida Panthers. While the NHL acknowledged that there was, no malicious intent, on the play, it did judge that Deveauxs actions were a dangerous reflex and instinct.

Deveaux played last season in the KHL before joining Rogle midway through this season when he asked for a tryout. His former agent Resnick said Deveaux might have been able to be a third- or fourth-line center at the NHL level, but was miscast by most teams that saw his size and insist he be a fighter. He was really intelligent and really sensitive, Resnick said.

• 1 month later...

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2015/05/08/ex-leaf-claims-self-defence-in-vicious-on-ice-attack-in-sweden.html

Andre Deveaux, a former Toronto Maple Leaf accused of a vicious on-ice pregame attack while playing in Sweden, has claimed he acted out of fear for his safety.

The 31-year-old made his case at a downtown Toronto hotel Friday, speaking to reporters with his wife, Anya Nordstrom, at his side.

Deveaux played for Rögle in the second-tier league in Sweden. He was kicked off the team, suspended and an arrest warrant was issued after he slashed and jumped Per Helmersson, the captain of Vasteras IK, during the warmups of a playoff game in March.

Deveaux claimed he did so to protect himself, after Helmersson hit him from behind in the previous game and knocked him unconscious.

He said that hit caused a serious concussion that may prevent him from ever playing hockey again. He described numerous doctors’ visits as well as an episode in which he collapsed at his brother’s house and was taken to hospital in an ambulance.

“I’m out there with a serious injury and guys are telling me they’re going to do it again. At some point my safety has to become a priority,” said Deveaux. “I’ve been around the block and I know the difference between chirping and threatening.”

Deveaux added that he feels the Swedish hockey association, as well as that country’s media, ignored his side of the situation and were essentially “biased” against him.

“Helmersson has faced no consequences for his actions,” he said, referring to the hit from behind. “He hit me hard, right in the numbers where we’re told never to hit.

“This isn’t right and this isn’t fair.”

Deveaux’s wife, speaking from prepared notes, said her husband has “changed” because of his concussion, and defended him as a “kind and loving” person.

“Andre is not violent. He does not have a temper,” said Nordstrom. “We only ask for fair treatment.”

https://youtu.be/3rx0zjbdG7A

Hit by Per Helmersson.

Can't say that we don't see that hit as a normality in the game of Hockey...seen players take that type of hit many times without being seriously hurt but of course every situation is different.

Hit didn't look terrible though yes it was in the numbers...Andre Looked like he turned into the hit, but I agree that should have gotten at least a boarding call.

But regardless if it received discipline or not that didn't warrant him to do what he did. If you really wanted retribution go do it during the game with big hits, a fight or even better yet go win the game and trash talk the guy.

Archived