The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Edmonton Oilers win the McDavid Sweepstakes

Zfetch

I wasn't happy when it happened (I threw a hissy fit here on the forums about it), but it's going to be one of those wait and see type of things.

I'm happy for Myers though. He's playing with teammates that have raised his game instead of dragging it down.

Stafford has always played well in his contract years. If the Jets are smart, they will only sign him 2 years per future contract.

Well wait and see can be said of any deal. I believe in taking a position at the time - because anyone can hindsight a deal in a few years.

IMO, the best player in the deal will turn out to be Myers. I'm not downplaying Kane or Bogosian (I like them both as players although I question bringing Kane into a young group) but I think the most important piece is Myers - and then when you get to the other pieces Buffalo gave up - Stafford has far more value to Winnipeg than he did to Buffalo, but for me, the wild card in that deal is that Buffalo is going to regret having dealt Armia. Add a 1st - albeit late 1st - in this draft - there will be some quality defense prospects available when that pick is made. I also rememer Claude Lemieux - hell will break loose if this youngster becomes his father v2.0.

I love the deal for Winnipeg. That is absolutely not the kind of deal I make if I am in Murray's position. I move Stafford, perhaps Myers, but I sure as hell do not add three futures of that quality to a deal. I think Murray fd up royally.

First off to all those who say the Oilers will ruin him by rushing him into the NHL, I'm pretty sure it's NHL or Jr. for him (no AHL)...so the place he needs to be to learn the pro game is with the Oil. Secondly, he didn't look ticked off, he looked neutral, like he was trained to look on national TV (he probably got media training for this due to all the media BS leading up to the lottery...I mean seriously, what do the potential picks have to do with the lottery anyways? Media circus) when the Draft hasn't taken place yet, who knows where he'll play? Therefore he has to show ZERO emotion about the result of this lottery, do you honestly think he'd be jumping out of his seat if it was AZ or BUF? Remember they all had a shot at getting #1 because they ALL suck. And how cocky would it be if he was all smiles or something if a team that he wants to go to got the first pick? I think he played it cool and correct. And lastly, why all the hate for the Oilers (other than the fact that they're the Coilers)? They had no control over the outcome of this lottery, they just benefited from it. It's like hating a homeless guy cause his dad dies and leaves him millions...good for him, and good for the Coilers. Now they can make some trades and maybe have a shot at crawing out of the basement (and maybe shove SJS into it!...I'd LOVE to see that next year).

Just saw the Tim Murray interview... This guy is absolutely classless. Instead of saying he's excited to draft eichel he almost cries on TV...

And he fired Nolan after he gave him nothing to work with.

He's definitely my least favourite gm in the league. Classless. If I was eichel, I wouldn't report to that dump Buffalo.

Yeah what a crybaby. Your getting Jack Eichel. He's pretty damn good. Classless move. I'd be pissed if I were Eichel.

And for those who think he shouldn't or won't report...well this ain't the old NHL like in Lindros' day. This is the new NHL. Young stars are more frequent (4 or 5 great prospects this year alone, plus next year etc etc). Yes, he may be the next great one, but I don't think he'd want to get branded as a cancerous player when he hasn't even played yet...better to play out his ELC and take offers as a RFA.

As for trading the #1 pick, I think due to the fact that Edmonton got it, really that also isn't a possibility either. If you were another GM and you inquired about the #1 pick, and Edmonton gave you any indication too quickly that they'd move it, well that pretty much puts Edmonton at a disadvantage. They'll do MUCH better by trying to move Eberle or Yakupov in a normal straight up deal for a D-man and a package for a goalie (move either of theirs).

Quick rush him in and wonder why he's getting injuries and his development is delayed and put the weight of "franchise saviour" on his shoulders. Oilers are just a hype and garbage team it's starts with the owners fans keep going there's no reason to fire friends I mean management if you can call what Lowe and Mac t do managing.

Mac t stands slone as worst fm in the league now that captain coat tails nonis is out.

Oilers don't just get a very good player.

They will also get a big infusion of cash.

A lot of people will show up to pay for tickets.

And you can imagine how much merchandise will be sold... Connor McDavid sweaters will be going like hotcakes, and not just in Edmonton.

So many pluses for Edmonton in this.

As I mentioned before, there are good opportunities for the Canucks.

For example, Benning could consider packaging Miller+? for Eberle, Hall or Nugent-Hopkins, since one of them is expendable.

Could give us an excellent young forward to complete our forward renovation.

Pretty much anyone winning over the Oilers would have been fine by me. I think they will have more 1st overalls drafted in the past 6 years as the rest of the top 5 have in their history. That includes teams like Toronto and Buffalo who are two of the longest tenured franchises in this league. I never shared in the hatred of the Oilers unlike the rest of CDC but its hard not to resent them now. I may have gotten there a bit late but CDC is right (damn never thought I would say that) they are the Coilers.

I still believe the weighted lottery is the way to go but man the odds really played a nasty joke on all of this. OIlers.... seriously wtf hockey gods.

Nuge for Seth Jones, core going forward

Hall, McDavid, Yakupov, Eberle, Leon, Jones, Nurse.

Look what Hartley has done with a team with 1 top line and a good top 4 defense. If the Oilers address there D, get a good coach and get some bottom 6 veteran leadership they would be a very very good team.

Even if they don't want to, they'll have to move another one or two of their big name forward to be able to pay this guy eventually.

Congrats to them, I guess, they're getting (probably) a heck of a player, and part of me is glad we'll get to see him quite often.

And you can imagine how much merchandise will be sold... Connor McDavid sweaters will be going like hotcakes, and not just in Edmonton.

For example, Benning could consider packaging Miller+? for Eberle, Hall or Nugent-Hopkins, since one of them is expendable.

Miller would never waive his no trade for Edmonton.

Ughh don't remind us that Katz is getting richer. That just makes all of this even more disgusting.

In any case the Canucks and Oilers don't make good trade partners. I think they will be looking to trade for exactly what the Canucks want which are young defenseman. Canucks aren't exactly stocked up there. Miller makes no sense for them. If they are trading one of their young forwards, it won't be for a goalie.

Our division is going to be ridiculously tough now. Calgary wont stop being solid, the Oilers will probably be good soonish. Basically San Jose will be the only crap team and even they might turn it around for at least a while.

Archived