The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Just "how young" do you think the Canucks need to get next season?

billabong

If the cutoff for being a young player is for those with <= 3 years of NHL experience,

-Horvat will be in the starting lineup.

-Kenins, Vey, Baertschi and Clendening will for sure make the team and have very good chance to be in the starting lineup.

-Jensen and Corrado have decent shot at making the team. If Corrado is not waiver exempt, he will make the team.

-Realistically, Virtanen, Cassels, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, McCann, and others have only a slim chance of making the team. Among these players, at most one player will make the team and that means trading either Higgins and/or Burrows. I personally prefer Higgins to be traded as Burrows is still effective with the Sedins and he gives another option on Sedins wing other than Kassian.

So that means at least 5 to at most 8 young players will make the team. I'd say that's a reasonable number. Of course, it's quality over quantity but I think we have a pretty decent quality prospects ready to jump in.

The line up that I can think of consisting of the max number of young players:

Scoring line 1: Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Scoring line 2: Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Checking line: Burrows-Bonino-Hansen

Energy line: Kenins-McCann-Dorsett

Extra forwards: Vey, Jensen

-Among the rookies, I think McCann and Shinkaruk have the highest chance to make the team.

-I feel that McCann is almost ready in the same sense Horvat was except not as strong as Bo. So just as Bo came in to camp with improved skating, if McCann comes in stronger, then he has the best chance to make the team out of any one of them (in my humble opinion). McCann has to beat Vey and whoever UFA center that we sign (if we do sign one).

-Shinkaruk's assets are speed and skill and good skaters with good skill will make the NHL at some point in their career. Virtanen's assets are the same plus size, but Shinkaruk has one year of honing his overall game at the pro level, which I think gives him a leg up on his competition. Shinkaruk will have to beat Jensen and to certain extent, Kenins to make the team. I don't see it happening but I hope he will surprise me.

For forward lines, it's possible to imagine how it will look. But defence is unpredictable. It will be really interesting to see what will be done to upgrade the defence.

But one thing I agree with Bieksa is that I think youth is not always the answer when it comes to defence. That's why we rarely see 18, 19 year old rookie defenceman be really successful in this league (Ekblad being one exception).

I think an outside help is needed to upgrade this defence as we don't have any young player that can come in and change the outlook on defence overnight. Clendening and Corrado are upgrade in terms of depth and overall puck moving abilities but they don't improve the toughness in defence, as in, having defence that is tough to play against.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

-Zack's problem is his D, so why not have him n the twins together so he can be in the offensive zone 80% of his shift.

Beleskey Bonino Vrbata

-If we can't resign Matthias under 3, just spend an extra mil and reunite Beleskey with Bonino to create a dangerous 2nd line who can score 75 goals next year

Burrows Horvat Hansen

-Burrows is valuable even at 4.5 cuz he is always there to get the Sedins going if their they are not clicking with they're linemate. This line can win 55% of faceoffs, shut down oppositions scoring lines, and score every 2nd game as well.

Kenins Dorsett Baertschi Vey Virtanen McCann

-Vey n Baertschi create a scoring line for home games, Dorsett n Kenins can grind teams down 12 minutes a game on the road and not get scored on much either. One rookie other then Baertschi needs to make the team as well. If no rookie is ready to make the jump, bring in a Letestu or Winnik versatile bottom 6 type that desperately lacked in the playoffs

Edler Tanev

-Will be even better next year. Tanev works on his shot all summer

Hamhuis Michalek/Mcquaid/Franson/Petry/Irwin/Bartkowski

-I read in the Sun that Weber will be resigned, after the Sbisa contract, I am terrified of what does here. Lets go out and sign a decent aged, decent priced Dman to solidify our top 4 and help Hamhuis regain his form like Tanev did for Edler

Sbisa Corrado/Clendinning

-Sbisa will be much improved I believe, so pairing him with either rookie should give us a nice young bottom pairing

Miller/Lack Markstrom

-Depending on the trade return, pick your guy and run with him. One of Markstrom Demko and possibly O'Connor will become elite. Possibly even 2 of them will, once again solidifying our team at the goalie position. A future Bishop/Schneider like tandem

-Try and bring back Stanton O'Reilly Conacher Sanguinetti

-Take a risk on a european talent, like Fredrik Pettersson of Lugano. Ask Marc Crawford for his opinion

-If we don't get O'Connor, offer the KHL's Kovar brothers a contract. One is a stud goalie, the other is a top 6 NHL forward imo

-Try and get back our 2nd n 3rd picks using Bieksa and Higgins

-With a ton of good puck moving D like Dunn, Pilon, Roy, Chabot, and others likely still available at our pick, trade down a bit to get back additional top 90 picks

-If JB decides to go with Debrusk or Bittner instead, grab a puck moving D next (Vande Sompel, Dermott, or Rasmus Andersson)

-Lots of WHLers from BC. Go more that direction then our annual 5 Ontario kids

-Let Thomas Gradin make a selection in the 4th/5th round.

-Bring Nikita Tryamkin over

-Get Vey to workout with Horvat this summer. Don't give up on him, like Florida with Brandon Pirri. I've yet to see a prospect improve his speed and agility that much over one summer (Horvat). He went from Cody Hodson to Anze Kopitar in 6 months

-Give Virtanen some Chris Kreider tapes, and McCann some of Kesler's

-Jordan Subban train with PK all summer

-Invite legit prospects like Hicketts and Goodrow to camp instead of guys like Golbourne and Aviani. Perhaps Tim Mcgauley or the Medicine Hat Tigers overagers.

-If we have another Antoine Roussel at camp, sign him, dont say come back next year

I still like the idea of keeping Vrbata, Kassian, and Burrows with the team. What I liked about the regular season is that you can mix and match the other winger in the Sedin Line. If you need someone to protect the Sedins you slot in Kassian, if you need someone that can crash in the net and add grit to the line you can put Burrows, if you need to produce more scoring chances you can put in Vrbata.

That said it seems Vey, Horvat, Kennins, Corrado, Clendenning, Baertschi, and maybe Gaunce will be enough to represent the youth next season.

I'd let Richardson go he's a good player but looks to really be injury prone.

Whoever's ready should play. Whoever isn't shouldn't. No use trying to force prospects into roles they can't handle. Lots of examples of guys having their development hampered by being rushed into the league. Luca Sbisa is one of them.

Hell, watch game 7 between Detroit and Tampa Bay. Nyquist, Tatar, Palat, Johnson, Killorn, Kucherov etc. all spent time in the AHL before making the jump, and even they weren't handed ice time right away.

If management really wants to improve the chances of long-term success, they'll be patient. Not overly patient, but patient enough to ensure nobody gets rushed into the league. And note that this is not the same thing as saying that the veterans are fine and they shouldn't be held accountable. I know of one person who might interpret my post this way.

Preaching patience on here is like trying to poke butter up a porcupines ass with a red hot needle.

The question is, how do we make room for them?

Who do we move out.

• Higgins is painful to watch in the offensive zone. Please move him.
  • Richardson is good; but we need better talent there, so we have to make room up the middle. Let go.
  • Matthias is a smooth skater with size. Keep.
  • Vrbata dissapears in the Playoffs. Trade if possible.
  • I like Burrows, but I think it is time to move on with him. Waive NTC or buyout. I know this is an unpopular opinion. He is still labelled by the League. This reflects upon the Canucks whether we like it or not.
  • Stanton is not used very much. We won't miss him very much.
  • Bieksa won't waive. They may ask and even convince him. We'll see.

Vbrata was instrumental in getting us to the playoffs this year.

How can you say he disappears in the playoffs when he has only played one 6 game series and I dispute that he disappeared. (scored 4 points on a poor line)

Higgins disappeared but then he does that every year and he's still here

It's not about getting younger, it is about developing the prospects properly and once they are ready to take spots on the NHL roster that's when vets must be traded away to make space. Next season I expect Baertschi, Clendening, and Corrado to make the jump and stay up with the Canucks.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Baertschi - Bonino - Vrbata

Matthias - Horvat - Burrows

Kenins - Vey - Dorsett

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Corrado/Weber

Sbisa - Clendening

Archived