The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Omar Khadr Granted Bail

drummer4now

Sorry. But I am having a hard time with this and understanding why harper is so against this guy walking free.

Facts.

13 years ago he was caught in a building as a 15 year old child where insurgents had been shooting at American forces. He was wounded in Afghanistan and summarily placed in Guantanamo Bay without being charged. He sat for almost a decade without formal charges being brought against him and without any evidence except a confession pulled from him while he was injured and in the care of the Americans.

Now, Harper is desperate to keep this guy in jail. But here is a fun fact. Harper is ok with a doctor in Quebec who murdered his children in the most personal way possible. And then went back to work a few months later after being found not guilty by reason of "insanity" and didn't raise a fuss at all. Harper is ok with Schoenborne in BC a man who murdered 3 children of the woman he was married to in the coldest way possible and is now about to get supervised leave from prison not 4 years later.

Why the ever loving hell is Harper NOT fighting to keep people like these two examples for crimes against the most defenseless of canadians but will do everything in his power to keep this kid in jail for possibly/possibly not actually committing an act, during war in a country neither Canadian or American?

Think on that for a few minutes. THIS is what ideology does to people. Murder your Canadian children as a grown man and admit to it. AOK, back to the general public with you.

Maybe fight back during in the middle of a war as a child...well hey you deserve to rot for life.

3e5c736c2c6bdd9e2a98ea9308f656e6.jpg

I'm very happy for him. The American charges against him were pure bs to begin with, and only compounded by all the illegal processes inherent to Guantanamo Bay (which should belong to Cuba). I mean seriously, even if he did throw the grenade after having been shot in the back, isn't that what happens in a war zone? The idea that this would be "murder" or "terrorism" only shows what a bunch of cowards the American miitary are. No wonder they lose every war they start.

But as for Omar, I really respect how he has come out of such treatment without obvious bitterness. It shows incredible character. If he can realize his dream to become a health-care worker he will heal others the way he has healed himself. I wish him nothing but the best.

Too bad the medic will never go home - never get to breath again - never get to see his family again.

I'm not suggesting that we lock him up for life - I am suggesting that there are 2 sides to this story and another family involved ....... No one else here seemed to think they were impacted by they way people at posting.

This release will showcase a person's political ideology. C.R.A.P. supporters are going ape. He plead guilty. Ya, in a process that was created years after he was detained, without charge. Any other citizen cannot be subjected to criminal proceedings that are created ad hoc after they were put in jail. But with the right wings war on terror hard on, they make things up as they go. The result is Canadian citizens have/will have their rights trampled on.

This is not just a right wing issue - I support the NDP but in this case feel he should have completed his sentence. This will make future prisoner swaps more difficult for other Canadians.

This gentleman spent most of his life prior to this outside Canada. At 15 if he killed someone here he very well could have been tried as an adult.

People are free to support him - but remember that as a result of his actions a women was widowed - children lost their father.

He killed a medic - that's a war crime.

I have no problem with him leaving Canada to join the fight - but as soon as you do you should forfiet your Canadian citizenship. He in my opinion should be deported to Afganastan at this point

He MAY have killed a medic. The facts are inconclusive as they shot up the others who may have done it and took him, as the only person remaining alive in the area where the grenade was thrown from, and tortured him until he confessed to whatever they wanted him to confess to. Torture anyone and they will admit to anything you want them too. Keep torturing them and they will start believing it themselves.

Secondly you deport people to their country of origin. He was born in Toronto. Canada is his country of origin.

Too bad the medic will never go home - never get to breath again - never get to see his family again.

I'm not suggesting that we lock him up for life - I am suggesting that there are 2 sides to this story and another family involved ....... No one else here seemed to think they were impacted by they way people at posting.

Soldiers die. If we don't want soldiers to die, don't go to war.

Khadr getting bail and going on to live a normal life is Harper's nightmare. If people aren't as dangerous as believed, Harper's entire ideology is undermined.

If people actually had brains and looked up crime stats from the past 50 years, they would realize that Stevo's C.R.A.P. ideology is garbage.

I agree - But in a democracy anyone is free to leave. My point is once he joined the fight he should have been stripped of citizenship. You may have missed my sacrasm - the guy killed a medic which is a war crime - In doing so in my opinion he surendered his right to be a citizen of our country

If you read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Khadr He spent very little time in Canada and had left long before the battle. The news media makes it seem like he lived his whole life here and just flew over prior.

This is all true but it's negated by the fact that he was a kid. In this country we wouldn't allow him to drink, smoke or drive so we probably shouldn't expect him to be making great decisions either. That doesn't mean there is no punishment for crimes but maybe give him a break.

Omar Khadr should have served youth sentence, Supreme Court rules
In rare ruling from the bench, Canada's top court sides with convicted war criminal for 3rd time
The Supreme Court of Canada wasted no time Thursday as it summarily rejected the federal government's bid to have former Guantanamo Bay prisoner Omar Khadr declared an adult offender.
The case — the third time the Khadr file has come before the high court — centred on whether the eight-year war-crimes sentence he got from a U.S. military commission in 2010 ought to be interpreted as a youth or adult sentence.
The federal government has argued the latter, saying Khadr actually received five concurrent eight-year terms, one for each of his five war crimes — a conclusion the nine justices rejected in a rare decision from the bench.
"The sentence is under the minimum for an adult sentence," Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin told the court after about 30 minutes of midday deliberations that immediately followed the end of the hearing.
"We are of the view that a proper interpretation of the relevant legislation does not permit Mr. Khadr's eight-year sentence to be treated as five distinct eight-year sentences to be served concurrently."
McLachlin ordered that appeal dismissed with costs, and confirmed the earlier order of the Alberta Court of Appeal that Khadr's sentence should be served in a provincial facility.
A spokesman for Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney said the government is disappointed with Thursday's Supreme Court decision and repeated the message it has maintained since Khadr was released on bail last week.
"At all times, we are focused on supporting the victims of crimes and ensuring the safety of Canadians. Omar Khadr has plead [sic] guilty to heinous crimes, including the murder of American Army medic Sgt. Christopher Speer," said Jeremy Laurin in an emailed statement. "Our thoughts and prayers remain with the family of Sgt. Christopher Speer during this difficult time."
Dennis Edney, the lawyer with whom the 28-year-old Khadr lives in Edmonton under strict bail conditions, said the swiftness of the ruling was a message to the Harper government for wasting taxpayer money on "persecuting my client."
Standing in the vast marble foyer of the country's highest court, Edney repeated the accusation that he first levelled at Prime Minister Stephen Harper last week.
"I come to the conclusion ... Mr. Harper is a bigot," he said. "Mr. Harper doesn't like Muslims and there's evidence to show that."
After almost 13 years in custody, the 28-year-old Khadr was released on bail last week while he appeals his U.S. conviction, which has drawn fierce criticism from legal and human rights experts.
Khadr was 15 when he threw the grenade that killed U.S. Sgt. Christopher Speer during a firefight in Afghanistan in July 2002.
Canada has extradition relations with some 83 countries, all of whom want assurances that an offender transferred here will serve their intended sentence, Department of Justice lawyer Sharlene Telles-Langdon argued during the hearing.
1 sentence or 5?
Several members of the panel challenged Telles-Langdon during her 50-minute oral argument before a packed courtroom.
"We can't slice and dice the eight years," said Justice Marshall Rothstein.
Compared with the mandatory adult sentence for first-degree murder, which is life behind bars with no parole eligibility for 25 years, "eight years for first-degree murder would be a youth sentence," Justice Andromache Karakastanis added.
Justice Rosalie Abella wondered aloud whether the U.S. government actually views Khadr's sentences as being concurrent. The only party that seems to take that view, Abella said, is the Canadian government.
Abella asked Telles-Langdon whether she considers eight years to be a youth sentence. Yes, the lawyer replied.
"Then, isn't that the end of the story?" Abella said.
Khadr's sentence is not open to interpretation, his lawyer Nate Whitling argued before the court. A concurrent sentence is without precedent in U.S. military procedure, and not supported in Canadian law, Whitling said.
"It is one sentence for eight years, and that is undisputed," he argued.
Khadr's lawyers say the Harper government is simply being vindictive as it pursues its tough-on-terror, tough-on-crime agenda prior to a fall election.
Court sided with Khadr in 2 previous cases
While the government concedes the sentence for the most serious charge — the murder of an American special forces soldier — can only be considered a youth sentence, it argued the other four, including attempted murder, must be viewed as adult sentences.
No provisions exist for an inmate to serve both youth and adult sentences at the same time, so Ottawa classified him as an adult offender when he transferred to Canada from Guantanamo Bay in September 2012 under an international treaty to serve out his punishment.
Feds spent $626,681 on two cases against Omar Khadr
The federal government is bound by United Nations conventions that Canada has signed that protect the rights of the child and children in armed conflict, argued Fannie Lafontaine, a lawyer for Amnesty International, which was granted intervener status in the case.
The Canadian Civil Liberties Association, which has also intervened in the case, said Canada has consistently taken a heavy-handed approach towards Khadr.
The Supreme Court has taken up Khadr's case twice before, and sided with him both times.
In 2008, the court ruled Canadian officials had acted illegally by sharing intelligence information about him with his U.S. captors.
In 2010, the top court declared that Ottawa had violated Khadr's constitutional rights when Canadian agents interrogated him in Guantanamo Bay despite knowing he had been abused beforehand.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/omar-khadr-should-have-served-youth-sentence-supreme-court-rules-1.3073876

Well done!

Supreme Court of Canada is the best! Despite 7/9 being Harper appointees, they continuously maintain integrity and make the correct judgments, earning them the monikers of "activist".

Archived