[Proposal] VAN - CBJ

TO VAN

CBJ 3rd Round Pick - 2015

Mike Reilly

TO CBJ

Kevin Bieksa

Jeremie Blain

Reasoning:

CBJ is a team on the upswing who are in need of another solid NHL defenseman to really make a push for the post season. Bieksa gives them veteran prescene on the blue line, doesn't cost a lot (CBJ is a cash strapped team with an internal budget), and only has one year left on his contract. It also helps that Bieksa used to go to Bowling Green University which is located in Ohio. So there's some familiarity there.

CBJ has two 3rd round picks back to back (one was acquired by Philly). Canucks don't have a 2nd or a 3rd rounder this year. I don't feel like Bieksa would warrant the 2nd rounder, at this time -- due in part because of his age, the fact that he'd be an impending UFA the following season, and his decling play this year. However, he does justify a third rounder. Mike Reilly is thrown in there because I believe the Canucks could sway him into signing here. It's clear Mike Reilly's not going to sign with CBJ and at least this trade gives CBJ something in return for picking him. It's a risk on the Canucks part because he may still opt to sign elsewhere (like Chicago or Minnesota). The only advantage the Canucks would have in negotiations is the fact that they'd A) Have an open roster spot on Defense because they traded Bieksa and B) Mike Reilly has played in the BCHL so he's familiar with the province. There is a chance that Mike Reilly wouldn't sign with the Canucks this way, so it is a gamble.

Jeremie Blain is thrown in there to A) get rid of another contract spot and B) Help boost CBJ's weak defensive depth at the AHL level.

I'd do it. Reilly is a decent prospect and brother of Morgan. Decent stats even as a college junior. Also some decent prospects in the 3rd round this year. Could probably get away with keeping Blain.

I'd do it. Reilly is a decent prospect and brother of Morgan. Decent stats even as a college junior. Also some decent prospects in the 3rd round this year. Could probably get away with keeping Blain.

No relation to Morgan Reilly, Mike is american and played with his older twin brothers in college.....I watched Mike play a lot back in the BCHL when he played for Penticton, he is very mobile and good Offensively would like to see if he developed better on the desfensive side of the puck

CBJ says no. Mike Reilly is going to be a top 4 dman easily. Bieksa is a 3rd pairing dman getting paid 4.5 mill. 3rd>Blain

Bieksa will get paid 2.5 M, with a cap hit of 4.5 FYI... Which means teams with a owner imposed cap like CBJ would be very interested in a contract like that.

Archived