The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Overwhelmed Planet?

Nuxfanabroad

You must be assuming that it can't be improved for the better.  That assumption is false.

In the very least we should be able to cancel hurricanes before they start.  I don't think you'll find anyone being pro-hurricane.

You can't 'improve' nature. Wtf

No one is pro-hurricane like people aren't anti-rainbow. You're putting human emotions on natural processes. That's silly.

You can't 'improve' nature. Wtf

No one is pro-hurricane like people aren't anti-rainbow. You're putting human emotions on natural processes. That's silly.

Wait and see.  It's not like research and development on climate control isn't already underway.

Nobody is threatened by rainbows.  It's hurricanes that are the relevant context.  I'm wondering why you assume that nobody wants to do anything about them?  Of course we do.  I believe that we will ultimately have the power to control them.  You don't.  Fair enough.  Again, wait and see.

Wait and see.  It's not like research and development on climate control isn't already underway.

Nobody is threatened by rainbows.  It's hurricanes that are the relevant context.  I'm wondering why you assume that nobody wants to do anything about them?  Of course we do.  I believe that we will ultimately have the power to control them.  You don't.  Fair enough.  Again, wait and see.

I am too lazy to look this up. Provide us with relevant examples of how humans can turn off the rain, turn up the sun, stop wind, etc etc.

I agree man, the haters can get lost. I believe there is someone out there like Storm from the X-men, this person will one day save the environment.

I am too lazy to look this up. Provide us with relevant examples of how humans can turn off the rain, turn up the sun, stop wind, etc etc.

It's in this thread.  Cloud seeding is currently available to us.  Using lasers to do the same thing is coming.  Further technological advances will allow us to dissipate hurricanes before they expand.  

Overall, one of humankind's main objectives over the millenia is to dominate nature.  This includes weather control, genetic control, immortality, creating artificial intelligence, travelling to the stars, etc.  

It's only a matter of time.

It's in this thread.  Cloud seeding is currently available to us.  Using lasers to do the same thing is coming.  Further technological advances will allow us to dissipate hurricanes before they expand.  

Overall, one of humankind's main objectives over the millenia is to dominate nature.  This includes weather control, genetic control, immortality, creating artificial intelligence, travelling to the stars, etc.  

You are out to lunch if you think that one link to some joker in a CNN article is evidence of anything.

I don't assume anything other than nature is nature. To try and artificially stop hurricanes cause they do damage is freaking asinine. 

I agree man, the haters can get lost. I believe there is someone out there like Storm from the X-men, this person will one day save the environment.

Totally, we just genetically engineer a super human who controls weather with their thoughts, and then they stop all the hurricanes and lighting and floods and earthquakes and fog and anything else we don't like. I don't in anyway see how that could result in anything other than awesome.

You are out to lunch if you think that one link to some joker in a CNN article is evidence of anything.

Lasers man!

Before rising seas, increasing hurricane strength is a major economic concern.  We're going to need to develop the tech to dissipate hurricanes in pretty short order.

Cloud seeding with chemicals is possible today.

Cloud seeding with lasers is coming. http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/24/tech/laser-cloud-seeding-mci/

And this is just the start.

For now you can see the direct and forceful justification for climate change action on your nightly news.

This is happening daily all around the world and even here in Vancouver. Look up...especially when the sun is setting and watch how they block it out literally almost every day. Line after line appears and the lines mix together to form a hazy mess that blocks the Sun. Anyone with a critical mind willing to observe the sky on a day to day basis will see that the supposed "contrails" that persist for hours and hours on end are not contrails at all. I have countless photo's on my phone showing these "contrails" mixing after hours in the sky to create a hazy milky white mess almost always in the path of the sun.

The man who runs this site http://www.geoengineeringwatch.org/ has posted a very large leaked document from congress detailing their plans back in the 60s/70s. He has far more evidence on his website. There was a peer reviewed study posted by J. Marvin Herndon, PhD that was attacked by the establishment immediately and eventually forced to be retracted. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/evidence-of-coal-fly-ash-toxic-chemical-geoengineering-in-the-troposphere-consequences-for-public-health-300127318.html These aerosols are shredding the o zone layer and may be having the opposite intended effect.

Great timelapse video

Edited by Robongo

I don't assume anything other than nature is nature. To try and artificially stop hurricanes cause they do damage is freaking asinine. 

Totally, we just genetically engineer a super human who controls weather with their thoughts, and then they stop all the hurricanes and lighting and floods and earthquakes and fog and anything else we don't like. I don't in anyway see how that could result in anything other than awesome.

Lasers man!

Maybe you can explain to us why stopping hurricanes is asinine.  Because that's high on my wtf scale.

Are you afraid of technology?  Is that is?  Because we've been developing more and more of it forever now and we've already done the damage to the environment.  So how about using it to reverse the damage?  That is asinine how?  

Maybe you can explain to us why stopping hurricanes is asinine.  Because that's high on my wtf scale.

Are you afraid of technology?  Is that is?  Because we've been developing more and more of it forever now and we've already done the damage to the environment.  So how about using it to reverse the damage?  That is asinine how?  

Hurricanes are an important and natural phenomenon on earth. Why would you want to stop them in the first place. 

I find it really odd you're posting in that other thread about climate change yet you're here advocating for screwing with nature even more.

Hurricanes are an important and natural phenomenon on earth. Why would you want to stop them in the first place. 

I find it really odd you're posting in that other thread about climate change yet you're here advocating for screwing with nature even more.

Never mind the reasons for wanting to stop hurricanes, which are numerous, but the argument is invalidated.  Why would you want to warm the planet in the first place?  Why would you want to pollute the planet in the first place?  Why would you want to overpopulate the planet in the first place?  etc. etc. etc.

We're already set down this path.

Never mind the reasons for wanting to stop hurricanes, which are numerous, but the argument is invalidated.  Why would you want to warm the planet in the first place?  Why would you want to pollute the planet in the first place?  Why would you want to overpopulate the planet in the first place?  etc. etc. etc.

We're already set down this path.

Yeah you're argument is great. 

It's like being obese and saying, meh, I'm already fat might as well just keep eating chocolate cake. 

Nature is natural, we shouldn't be monkeying with it intentionally. 

While hurricanes can obviously be devastating to the areas they hit, are we sure it is a good idea to stop them?  Everybody used to think that it was good to stop forest fires, when after time we learned that in some cases fires were critical to forest's survival.

Some of these things might seem to be good for humans in the short run, but people screw up, and it is easy to see where many if not all of these "objectives" can do more harm than good for humankind as a whole.

I'm still wondering why you're like 'Save the Hurricanes!'

Worst environmental initiative ever.

Again, you're putting human emotions on natural events. This isn't about being pro or con hurricanes. It's about them being an important natural process and intentionally trying to artificially stop them is a frankly farking stupid idea. 

While hurricanes can obviously be devastating to the areas they hit, are we sure it is a good idea to stop them?  Everybody used to think that it was good to stop forest fires, when after time we learned that in some cases fires were critical to forest's survival.

Some of these things might seem to be good for humans in the short run, but people screw up, and it is easy to see where many if not all of these "objectives" can do more harm than good for humankind as a whole.

Hurricanes are needed:  To cool the earth down by cycling the air, to break droughts, and to form coral reefs.

Weather control will eliminate the need to cool the earth down, and would solve droughts, leaving the coral reef issue, which is more affected by pollutants and ocean acidification.

Note that we would not to end all hurricanes.  Just reduce the damaging effects of the most threatening ones.  This is going to be needed for much the same reason that weather control on the whole is going to be needed.  For purely selfish reasons.

Fear it or not, geoengineering is definitely on the way.  So hopefully it works out for the best.

smh it's not "on the way" it's been going for decades using aerosols from high altitude planes. This is called Solar Radiation Management or SRM

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2011/20110721_particles.html

NOAA study:

The new study focused on the most recent decade, when the amount of aerosol in the stratosphere has been in something of a “background” state, lacking sharp upward spikes from very large volcanic eruptions. The authors analyzed measurements from several independent sources – satellites and several types of ground instruments – and found a definitive increase in stratospheric aerosol since 2000.

“Stratospheric aerosol increased surprisingly rapidly in that time, almost doubling during the decade,” Daniel said.

Edited by Robongo

Hurricanes are needed:  To cool the earth down by cycling the air, to break droughts, and to form coral reefs.

Weather control will eliminate the need to cool the earth down, and would solve droughts, leaving the coral reef issue, which is more affected by pollutants and ocean acidification.

Note that we would not to end all hurricanes.  Just reduce the damaging effects of the most threatening ones.  This is going to be needed for much the same reason that weather control on the whole is going to be needed.  For purely selfish reasons.

Fear it or not, geoengineering is definitely on the way.  So hopefully it works out for the best.

This has nothing to do with fear...Your whole argument is like reducing the rat population by bringing in cats, and then reducing cats by bringing in dogs, and then reducing dogs by poisoning their food, etc etc etc. It's a ridiculous premise. 

Before rising seas, increasing hurricane strength is a major economic concern.  We're going to need to develop the tech to dissipate hurricanes in pretty short order.

Cloud seeding with chemicals is possible today.

Cloud seeding with lasers is coming. http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/24/tech/laser-cloud-seeding-mci/

And this is just the start.

For now you can see the direct and forceful justification for climate change action on your nightly news.

Earth is doing her best to swat at the flies on her.