The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Rivals

johnnyhockey

Relatively new to CDC. You helped me establish who our comps are around professional sports (LA Clippers, Philadelphia Eagles, Cleveland Indians, etc.) Learning a lot reading these threads and what to expect in the future with the team. Several twitter handles and nucksmisconduct.com have been great to follow too.

Curious who our rivals are in the league? There's Calgary hate in my blood so I know they're on the list. Who else should I be aware of? Chicago? Detroit? Anyone in the East? Thanks, JCH

Chicago and Boston are more from a few years ago, but there's still a lot of lingering resentment around. I feel the Flames are starting to take over as our big rivals. We just had that playoff series of course, and most our recent games have been rough-and-tumble affairs. The boiling point was the brawl that happened under Tortorella.

Edmonton - Same reasons as CGY

LA - 2012

SJ - 2013

Chicago - 2009, 2010

Boston - 2011. 2011!!!!!!

Toronto - It's been worse in past years, but we always play them on Hockey Day in Canada and we nabbed their favourite captain (Sundin) and they've gotten a bunch of our players too.

Colorado - Bertuzzi/Moore/Naslund incident of '04.

Minnesota - we always have tough games against them.

Arizona - see Minnesota.

NY Rangers - 1994

NY Islanders - 1982, and that nasty 3rd period collapse a couple years ago.

Buffalo - Gilbert Perrault.

Canada - They hate us, cause they ain't us.

The league - Freaking bias against the Canucks.

The refs - See the league.

The fans - we cause too many controversies. We've even gotten a coach or two fired.

Mark Messier - some dreaded years between 1997 and 2000ish, as well as 1994.

T.O. MAPLE LAUGHS (never can be unseated at the top of any list)

1. Flames

2. Kings

3. Ducks

4. Bruins

5. Blackhawk

Fixed

As my two boys always say

There are 39 teams they like better in the NHL

Just to reserve for expansion they say

LOL

The rest of the list is pretty accurate :bigblush:

San Jose and Toronto top the list for me, followed by the Ducks, Bruins and Chicago.

Toronto media were at it again recently. I live in Northern Ontario (the wife and I are huge Canuck fans) and happened to catch Leafs Lunch on TSN. Their panel was babbling about how the team will bounce back with Babcock at the helm, when discussion turned to how other Canadian cities hate Toronto. The host asked the panelists if Toronto hates any other Canadian cities, after a short discussion about Montreal, Jeff O'Neill said, and this is a direct quote, "I hate Vancouver."

Bad O'Dog, Bad!

Fantastic summary! Thanks for all the feedback

Edmonton - Same reasons as CGY

LA - 2012

SJ - 2013

Chicago - 2009, 2010

Boston - 2011. 2011!!!!!!

Toronto - It's been worse in past years, but we always play them on Hockey Day in Canada and we nabbed their favourite captain (Sundin) and they've gotten a bunch of our players too.

Colorado - Bertuzzi/Moore/Naslund incident of '04.

Minnesota - we always have tough games against them.

Arizona - see Minnesota.

NY Rangers - 1994

NY Islanders - 1982, and that nasty 3rd period collapse a couple years ago.

Buffalo - Gilbert Perrault.

Canada - They hate us, cause they ain't us.

The league - Freaking bias against the Canucks.

The refs - See the league.

The fans - we cause too many controversies. We've even gotten a coach or two fired.

Mark Messier - some dreaded years between 1997 and 2000ish, as well as 1994.

Relatively new to CDC. You helped me establish who our comps are around professional sports (LA Clippers, Philadelphia Eagles, Cleveland Indians, etc.) Learning a lot reading these threads and what to expect in the future with the team. Several twitter handles and nucksmisconduct.com have been great to follow too.

Curious who our rivals are in the league? There's Calgary hate in my blood so I know they're on the list. Who else should I be aware of? Chicago? Detroit? Anyone in the East? Thanks, JCH

The Canucks do not really have a natural geographic or historical rival in the NHL. Geographically the Canucks are a long way from any other team and historically the Canucks have been through several divisional realignments and were often either the worst team or the best in their Division with the result than no particularly intense rivalries developed.

In recent years the Canucks played several exciting playoff series against Chicago and there was some bad blood caused by a cheap shot hit by Duncan Keith on Daniel Sedin. For that reason most Vancouver fans are probably pulling for Tampa to beat Chicago in this year's SCF.

Calgary is the geographically closest team and there has been some tension between the teams in recent years, so that might be a meaningful rivalry as well.

None of California teams stands out as a more significant rival than the others, but obviously all are rivals to some extent. After the Kesler trade I guess Anaheim is probably the most significant rival of the three.

Canuck fans like to dump on the Edmonton and Toronto, but I don't think there is any particularly meaningful rivalry at the level of the players. Boston was a big rival during the 2011 SCF, but that was a one-shot deal and of course the two teams do not play each other enough now for a meaningful rivalry.

I agree that Jazz has a good summary of important specific incidents, like the Bertuzzi-Moore incident with Colorado. But, at this stage, I don't think that incident means anything to current players and not much to most fans. The one incident I would add is that both Vancouver and Buffalo entered the NHL at the same time.

And, by the way, I guess you realize that Miltt's post was, as usual, a joke. I am particularly impressed by the alleged rivalry with Hartford.

My own view is that the Canucks have less in the way of natural rivals than almost every team in the NHL, although Dallas and Colorado are in a similar position.

Personally I just want to win a Stanley Cup. I don't care much about who we beat along the way.

1. Current rivals-all I can think of is Calgary. The Chicago, Boston and San Jose rivalries are dying out as the years go by as would be expected, though there is still some bad blood left over.

2. Competition from other sports-there is none. Canucks have no rival as #1 in this market.

3. Similar teams in other sports: There may be a few. From baseball there's the Texas Rangers of the AL. They were born earlier (1961) than the Canucks (1970) though didn't move to Texas until 1972. They've never won a WS just as the Canucks have never won a SC. They lost in the final of the WS 2011, a year Canucks lost the Stanley Cup finals.

They had a poor season in 2014 and have been ok, so far, in 2015. Their history is up and down, for a long time more down than up, as was the case with the Canucks.

DFW is a good-sized baseball market as Vancouver is a good-sized hockey market.

Other possibles I can think of in baseball include the Washington Nationals (f Montreal Expos, started 1969, no WS championships though close in '81 (compared with Canucks '82 and had a good team in '94), Milwaukee Brewers (again, started 1969, no WD championships, lost the 1982 WS the year the Canucks first lost in the SC finals, lost the NLCS in 2011 as the Canucks lost their 3rd SC final.)

Calgary Edmonton LA SJ. that is all. Yes Edmonton .. It will happen... They have wanted to be us for years. So much envy in Alberta that turned to real hatred towards Vancouver. So id like to continue kicking their ass's! LA i still feel salty about. SJ mostly just to shut their fan base up, Alberta.. well screw Alberta.

Archived