The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New Armchair GM web site

I've been working on a replacement for the CapGeek Armchair GM page, and the site is finally ready.

Just in time for all the action in the upcoming NHL Draft :)
Check it out...

NHLGuru.net

Feedback / Suggestions appreciated.

Looks good thus far except one things I would change ASAP is on the front page i would use teams logos so they are clickable to go into that teams roster.

The drop down menu is tacky and not as user friendly.

IE below, give it a click.

medium.png

It's great good job!! If I may suggest possibly changing the grey colour all over the website with a colour that might garnish more interest but it's pretty good otherwise. I like how you explain the different aspects of it with nice little tidbits.

Did you use a program to make it or did you code all of it? If it's your code, did you use any frameworks? and what language?

im a fan already,

I'm not a fan of the way you are displaying the contract years left... think a number would be better to look at and less chance of mixing up the actual number.

Also when you delete a player in the trash bin it seems remove him from all existence ? or maybe I just can't find him :P

Love the way you added the draft picks in there for Trading. Overall works well, sites always have the perpetual joy of tweaks.

ariGold - Not a bad idea - I know most other hockey web sites do that. I primarily used the drop down as that was how the function was already set up to work... but yeah, logos could look good.

meh_wassup - I used the redips drag Javascript library for the drag/drop functionality, which is the same base script that CapGeek used. Everything else is Jquery and PHP with Ajax calls to load all the content.

Colours are a personal preference. I tried lots of colour variations and when Armchair GM'ing for any length of time, I found it nice to have the subdued colours. I could maybe look at adding an option where you can choose your own page background color...

goblix - thanks.

You will generally not want to delete anyone from your primary team. From the trade team - no problemo.

When you delete a player piece, it is gone... but you can always get them back by reloading that team in the trade team area again.

You really only need to delete a player once you've finished trading with one team and need to load a new team. Then, you can delete any excess players that you moved about on the screen.

You get used to the dots. I've tried both ways, and I much preferred the dots.

goblix - thanks.

You will generally not want to delete anyone from your primary team. From the trade team - no problemo.

When you delete a player piece, it is gone... but you can always get them back by reloading that team in the trade team area again.

You really only need to delete a player once you've finished trading with one team and need to load a new team. Then, you can delete any excess players that you moved about on the screen.

You get used to the dots. I've tried both ways, and I much preferred the dots.

I think people will automatically be putting Sbisa in the trash ;) could add in some sort of team's trash bin, not 100% sure how you call in the data but maybe add some sort of 'deleted' flag to the player and can then pull up all the players with that flag. But yeah I'd wait to see if others notice it, i'm probably just poking at the sites nuances.

Fair enough on the dots.

I'd wonder if there is any good way of displaying the cap situation details consistently or at least a brief set of numbers so I know the rough amount of cap space i'm dealing with when i'm trying to trade / sign players w/o having to change away from the trade screen.

Also noticed that when i drag and drop a player to the roster the Cap Situation doesn't automatically update on changes, probably wouldn't come up as an issue but just something that I noticed. I'm a stickler for those kinds of things myself.

** Also LOVE the way you add in the handiness of each player, very slick, clean and smart

The cap works, but I know what you mean.

I may try to add an auto update for the cap situation eventually.

Its a complicated process though, so I just haven't had the time to tackle that one yet.

Beastmode33 - Maybe my computer screen is set differently than everyone else's - where are you seeing purple?

The background gradient is grey scale - shouldn't be seeing any purple there...

(I'm talking about the Armchair GM page... not the home page)

** Also LOVE the way you add in the handiness of each player, very slick, clean and smart

I like that a lot too! It`s a super cool touch.

Do you think you might do that for handiness for goalies, maybe indicating catching hand or something? It's probably not as necessary considering most goalies catch with there left, and handiness is more useful for determining what side of the ice a skater is probably going to line up on. But I'd think it was cool at the least!

Toned down the "purple" hue in the blue parts of the page - I think that is what was bothering people ??????

I think my eyes are going on me... either that or my computer screen keeps fluctuating colour - lol.

Let me know if that looks better or not.

Added a running Cap Space amount. Updates every time a player is dropped somewhere .

Obviously capgeeks was legendary but this is pretty good. I only played with it for a few minutes and only thing I want is to actually make the trade transaction and acquire the assets

Also love that you can see what picks each teams have every year! I don't think capgeek ever did that!

D. Sedin

$ 7,000,000 H. Sedin

$ 7,000,000 Z. Kassian

$ 1,750,000

S. Baertschi

$ 894,167 N. Bonino

$ 1,900,000 R. Vrbata

$ 5,000,000

A. Burrows

$ 4,500,000 B. Horvat

$ 894,167 J. Hansen

$ 2,500,000