The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stan Bowman

Reading his bio and doing some research I noticed he never actually played hockey at any competitive level.

He also never went to school for anything sports related (finance and computer programming).

Yet he some how landed a "special assistant to GM" job with the Hawks when he was 28.

Was this all because of the power and connections his dad had in the hockey world?

Anyone have any more info to this story?

Always curious how guys of this background end up with such prolific roles in the NHL.

Don't fool yourselves. This is mostly the work of Scotty Bowman. I always loved how much insight he gives in an interview. He and Kenny Holland are my favorite interviews to listen to. I thought Scott Oak messed up the end of the interview as usual with Scotty today. Scotty was on a role talking about the road to the Cup. As usual Oak showed his colors. Can't believe they gave Oak a Gemini. Par for the course I guess.

The great thing for all of us is both Scotty and Ken Holland give time to TEAM1040 and we get to listen to them on a semi regular basis. Special people do special things.

Edit add my fav Canuck

Dad gets him in the door.

The rest he does on his own.

And it doesn't hurt to be able to pick the brain of a legend once in a while. Amazing how at his age, Scotty still has his finger on the pulse of the game.

Don't fool yourselves. This is mostly the work of Scotty Bowman.

Yeah I very much doubt that. Bowman was great in his day, but today he's nothing more than a token ambassador for the hawks and doesn't really have any say or power in the hawks today. This has been all stan bowman.

Reading his bio and doing some research I noticed he never actually played hockey at any competitive level.

He also never went to school for anything sports related (finance and computer programming).

Yet he some how landed a "special assistant to GM" job with the Hawks when he was 28.

Was this all because of the power and connections his dad had in the hockey world?

Anyone have any more info to this story?

Always curious how guys of this background end up with such prolific roles in the NHL.

I'd say growing up around Scotty is pretty much as good an education as it gets.

I worked with him at Arthur Andersen 20 years ago when he was just a consultant like me. We had a pickup game as a team outing at one point and I got to see him skate - he's actually very very good. Basically dad got him a job as an assistant GM with the Hawks and he took it from there. Without daddy obviously that job never comes his way. And the Hawks also knew that getting Stan meant Scotty would be the consigliere to his son - which has obviously helped.

Archived