The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

3 minutes ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

I don't really see the point in saying stuff like this, just makes it seem like you're just talking so you can sound right.

There's a chance he becomes the 3rd best player out of the draft, however small that chance is why not encourage it instead of just trying to sound right.

I gave him a legit example of a guy the Canucks picked at 26 who ended up being the 3rd best player in the draft and his counter argument was he was a GOALIE so it doesn't count!!  Lol!!  

Just now, Harvey Spector said:

A goalie is a player last time I checked. Carey Price, Roberto Luongo, Marc Andre Fleury and Rick Dipietro were all picked top 5 and two went number one overall so goalies who are actually players do get picked quite high once in a while, there is precedent.  

So what player do you feel will be better than Boeser from the 2015 draft other than the top 2 franchise guys??  One guy brought up Kyle Connor who plays in the Big 10 which is the equivalent of the BCHL.  Who's your guy??  And for the record I said he COULD be the best player I didn't say he WILL be. He does have a chance. We won't know for 5 years. So not sure what your point is with the homer comment. 

And after that no goalies have been drafted in the top 10 since Price.

If you are really using Alf  as evidence then :picard: he talks out of his hairy holes more than he provides good insight. The Big 10 is a higher level than the BCHL, one is the NCAA Div 1 one is Junior A and maybe 20% of players that play in the BCHL go on to play in the NCAA Div 1 hockey ,i don't know how much more obvious that could be. Even mentioning him in the top three of the draft is beyond unreasonable. The homer comment is because you are being unreasonable in your expectations

17 minutes ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

I don't really see the point in saying stuff like this, just makes it seem like you're just talking so you can sound right.

There's a chance he becomes the 3rd best player out of the draft, however small that chance is why not encourage it instead of just trying to sound right by stating what is still an opinion no matter what you think, as fact.

Unreasonable expectations in this fan base leads to all the bashing. I can refer you two the umteen other prospect threads where people has set high expectations and then when the player fails the go bash on that player. Saying he is going to be the 3rd best player is just flat out wrong, even if it is an opinion.

Edited by Gstank29

1 minute ago, Gstank29 said:

Unreasonable expectations in this fan base leads to all the bashing. I can refer you two the unteen other prospect threads where people has set high expectations and then when the player fails the go bash on that player. Saying he is going to be the 3rd best player is just flat out wrong, even if it is an opinion.

1st page of the Schroeder thread

"We just drafted the next Yzerman"

imo i think Boeser is the best player in the draft. Way better than that McDavid and that american guy. What's his name again?

oh and btw I think Boeser is going to be real good.

/sarcasm

Edited by Odd.

5 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

And after that no goalies have been drafted in the top 10 since Price.

If you are really using Alf  as evidence then :picard: he talks out of his hairy holes more than he provides good insight. The Big 10 is a higher level than the BCHL, one is the NCAA Div 1 one is Junior A and maybe 20% of players that play in the BCHL go on to play in the NCAA Div 1 hockey ,i don't know how much more obvious that could be. Even mentioning him in the top three of the draft is beyond unreasonable. The homer comment is because you are being unreasonable in your expectations

No goalies have been taken top 10 after Price because there hasn't been one worthy of being taken that high. If one comes around I'm sure he'll go top 10. Also goalies normally take longer to develop then a forward so Price and Luongo are exceptions to the rule. They stood out at 17. 

I'm sure the Big 10 is better than the BCHL but it is a step down from the NCHC. The stats prove that in terms of the competition between the two conferences. 

I don't think it is beyond unreasonable to mention Boeser in the top 3 of the draft. We won't know for 5 years so we could both be wrong. For all we know he could end up being better than Eichel!!  Lol!!  Well maybe not but anyways I'm pumped for Boeser and as a Canucks fan you should be too. I think he's gonna be a gem...

3 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

Unreasonable expectations in this fan base leads to all the bashing. I can refer you two the umteen other prospect threads where people has set high expectations and then when the player fails the go bash on that player. Saying he is going to be the 3rd best player is just flat out wrong, even if it is an opinion.

I didn't say he WILL be the 3rd best player I said he COULD be. Re-read my post. Anyways I think he's gonna be a gem so let's wait out the 5 years and compare notes then. Fair enough??

4 minutes ago, Odd. said:

imo i think Boeser is the best player in the draft. Way better than that McDavid and that american guy. What's his name again?

oh and btw I think Boeser is going to be real good.

Now you're talking. Finally found a visionary just like me.  JB should hire you to do some scouting since we're all on the same page here. Lol!!

21 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

Yeah we all were very lucky whoever was around at that time. Too bad you didn't see him when he played. That game against Winnipeg the Coliseum was rocking. Think 2011 playoffs. Same type of atmosphere. The 1994 playoffs were even better. Better than 2011 really. The 1994 Stanley Cup final game 6 in Vancouver was THE best game in Vancouver ever. That was the game when Messier cross checked Linden at the end while we were beating their ass. The famous Jim Robson quote came from that game in reference to Linden, "He will play, you know he'll play, he'll play on crutches, he will play and he'll play at Madison Square Garden on Tuesday night"!!!

Thanks for giving me goosebumps and tears at work...

8 hours ago, Diamonds said:

I don't know if you've seen the numbers Kyle Connor has been putting up this year, but if Boeser is a superstar than Connor is a god.

Don't get me wrong, I've been very impressed with Boeser's season so far, but it looks like last year's draft could be a pretty stacked draft.

Connor is awesome, how Boston passed on him... Morons.

16 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

I didn't say he WILL be the 3rd best player I said he COULD be. Re-read my post. Anyways I think he's gonna be a gem so let's wait out the 5 years and compare notes then. Fair enough??

He could be THE best player in the draft as well, but it's not very likely. Saying 3rd best is only slightly more realistic without more to go on - especially with McDavid, Eichel and Hanifin already playing in the NHL. I'd easily take any of them in a one for one trade with Boeser, likely even adding a decent piece from our side to make it happen.

Edited by elvis15
That's not even accounting for Strome, Provorov, Samsonov, etc.

Just to name a few players that were also taken in the same draft class as Boeser.

Mitch Marner, Dylan Strome, Lawson Crouse, Noah Hanifin, Kyle Connor, Mikko Rantanen, Zach Weresnki.

Not to mention that there usually is one or two players from each draft that come out of nowhere from the latter rounds and far exceed expectations.

Jamie Benn 4th round pick, Joe Pavelski 7th round pick, Pekka Rinne 9th round, Mark Stone 6th round, Johnny Gaudreau 4th round to name a few.

If Boeser can even be in the top 10 best player from that draft class, for where we drafted him that's a huge steal for us.

Edited by Glory_Days
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Glory_Days said:

Just to name a few players that were also taken in the same draft class as Boeser.

Mitch Marner, Dylan Strome, Lawson Crouse, Noah Hanifin, Kyle Connor, Mikko Rantanen, Zach Weresnki.

Not to mention that there usually is one or two players from each draft that come out of nowhere from the latter rounds and far exceed expectations.

Jamie Benn 4th round pick, Joe Pavelski 7th round pick, Pekka Rinne 9th round, Mark Stone 6th round, Johnny Gaudreau 4th round to name a few.

If Boeser can even be in the top 10 best player from that draft class, for where we drafted him that's a huge steal for us.

Good level-headed post.  CDC in general needs to reign in expectations but also realize the difficulty of drafting better than 29 other GMs.

You don't build a winning team by drafting the best player in the 9th round, and you certainly don't do so repeatedly (no one does).  But you can draft a significantly better player than your draft position and JB looks to be doing that.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Qwags said:

CDC always seems to have ridiculous expectations for players. See Kassian, Hodgson, and Jensen.

HEY! I still have hopes that Hodgson is going to be our next captain, put up 100 point seasons and win us three Stanley Cups single-handedly!! :frantic:

46 minutes ago, Qwags said:

CDC always seems to have ridiculous expectations for players. See Kassian, Hodgson, and Jensen.

I did some research and found out Brock Boeser isn't a Coke head, doesn't hang out at the Roxy, doesn't have a father who thinks he's a super agent and hasn't spent 5 years in the minors with declining numbers each year, so it's safe to assume he will be a far better NHL player then the aforementioned players you speak of...

• Upvote 2