The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

veteran died and lay undiscovered in his house for 4 months says sister

Mike Vanderhoek

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/veteran-died-and-lay-undiscovered-in-his-house-for-4-months-says-sister/ar-AAd2cMK?ocid=mailsignoutmd

Am I the only one here who with all due respect for the family, wonders why the sister could not do more to see her brother ? they were on opposite sides of Newfoundland not opposite sides of the country.

It sounds like the veteran was being reached out to. I wonder what some of you think, does National Defense and Veteran's Affairs Canada not do enough ? anybody with experience here ?

From an outsiders point of view it seems more like a family who lost a loved one looking to play the blame game as so many people do now a days.

Thoughts ?

Before they go pointing fingers maybe the family should look at themselves first. You'd think after all your attempts at contacting the person went unanswered, you'd be concerned enough to go check up on them in person. Maybe there was a lot more going on than was mentioned in the article but one would hope it wouldn't take 4 months of disappearing from the face of the earth for someone to finally show up. Doesn't even need to be the family that shows up if distance is an issue. Just get anybody to to do it.

Yeah from what I've read I feel the anger is misguided and perhaps there's guilt involved. I am all for improving services and taking care of those who have served this country but we should also point out undue flack these organizations take from people.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/veteran-died-and-lay-undiscovered-in-his-house-for-4-months-says-sister/ar-AAd2cMK?ocid=mailsignoutmd

Am I the only one here who with all due respect for the family, wonders why the sister could not do more to see her brother ? they were on opposite sides of Newfoundland not opposite sides of the country.

It sounds like the veteran was being reached out to. I wonder what some of you think, does National Defense and Veteran's Affairs Canada not do enough ? anybody with experience here ?

From an outsiders point of view it seems more like a family who lost a loved one looking to play the blame game as so many people do now a days.

Thoughts ?

"Something was telling her not to visit her brother"????

Sounds like a god-awful sister, especially if she was already suspicious of his mental illness. How on earth is it ever the fault of the government when a capable, self-sustaining adult who has family a mere 6 hours away, dies and isn't discovered for 4 moths? The bloody girl even visited the same area he lived, & never even called? Dropped in? "something was telling me..." ya something was telling you to keep being a lazy shat and not bother...I suppose it's a small consolation that she was the one who actually contacted RCMP who discovered his body.

Unbelievable.

"Something was telling her not to visit her brother"????

Sounds like a god-awful sister, especially if she was already suspicious of his mental illness. How on earth is it ever the fault of the government when a capable, self-sustaining adult who has family a mere 6 hours away, dies and isn't discovered for 4 moths? The bloody girl even visited the same area he lived, & never even called? Dropped in? "something was telling me..." ya something was telling you to keep being a lazy shat and not bother...I suppose it's a small consolation that she was the one who actually contacted RCMP who discovered his body.

Unbelievable.

From the little that I know of Newfoundland, after recently meeting some Newfies, the distance within Newfoundland is surprisingly far. Everything is stretched out and you don't have access to the other side using planes, in the way that you can when flying across the country. Drives are very very long.

That being said, I'm with you - suspicious of her.

From the little that I know of Newfoundland, after recently meeting some Newfies, the distance within Newfoundland is surprisingly far. Everything is stretched out and you don't have access to the other side using planes, in the way that you can when flying across the country. Drives are very very long.

True, she did live 6 hours away. However, the lady had stated that she had visited the same area that her brother lived, & just didn't visit. It's that second bit that really I find inexcusable, especially as she's putting the gov't on blast for not doing enough for her brother.

Distance is not an excuse when you have a telephone. If your father does not answer the phone have a neighbour check on him.

Archived