The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PETITION] - Change Vancouver Canucks Jerseys

Caknuckle Puck

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Oceanic dolphins are members of the cetacean family Delphinidae. Delphinidae is the largest family of cetaceans, with more than 30 species as members. These small toothed whales are found worldwide, mostly in the shallower seas of the continental shelves. As the name implies, oceanic dolphins tend to be found in the open seas, unlike the river dolphins, although a few species such as the Irrawaddy dolphin are coastal or riverine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceanic_dolphin

The killer whale (Orcinus orca), also referred to as the orca whale or orca, and less commonly as the blackfish or grampus, is a toothed whale belonging to the oceanic dolphin family, of which it is the largest member.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_whale

Cetacea is a scientific order of large aquatic mammals that have forelimbs modified into flippers, a horizontally flattened tail, one or two nostrils at the top of the head for breathing, and no hind limbs. Cetaceans include all whales, dolphins and porpoises.

http://seaworld.org/en/animal-info/animal-infobooks/bottlenose-dolphins/scientific-classification/

Thanks for the lesson. Still technically right though. Orcas are the largest members of the dolphin family. They just belong to a suborder of cetaceans called Odontoceti and are related to whales and porpoises.

Oceanic dolphins are members of the cetacean family Delphinidae. Delphinidae is the largest family of cetaceans, with more than 30 species as members. These small toothed whales are found worldwide, mostly in the shallower seas of the continental shelves. As the name implies, oceanic dolphins tend to be found in the open seas, unlike the river dolphins, although a few species such as the Irrawaddy dolphin are coastal or riverine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceanic_dolphin

The killer whale (Orcinus orca), also referred to as the orca whale or orca, and less commonly as the blackfish or grampus, is a toothed whale belonging to the oceanic dolphin family, of which it is the largest member.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_whale

Cetacea is a scientific order of large aquatic mammals that have forelimbs modified into flippers, a horizontally flattened tail, one or two nostrils at the top of the head for breathing, and no hind limbs. Cetaceans include all whales, dolphins and porpoises.

http://seaworld.org/en/animal-info/animal-infobooks/bottlenose-dolphins/scientific-classification/

The dolphin family of which Orcinus orca is a part of, belongs to the Suborder Ondontoceti which contains all of the "toothed whales". So yes, one could certainly argue that all dolphins (and porpoises and South American River dolphins and all other families under Odontoceti), are "whales" generally.

Thanks for the lesson. Still technically right though. Orcas are the largest members of the dolphin family. They just belong to a suborder of cetaceans called Odontoceti and are related to whales and porpoises.

Partially correct: Killer Whales are the largest member of the Dolphin Family, but the Dolphin Family belongs to the "Toothed Whale" group (Odontoceti) so dolphins are a "type" of (toothed) whale. It really doesn't matter that much but better than talking about jersey changes!

This lesson further identifies the issue of our nickname being Canucks - we are not the whales, dolphins etc. and yes in anticipation of the "we are not the rinkies either" at least we play the sport that's depicted in the s in r. This is where I see the issue, people/fans are implying we are Orca's, Orca's are not Canucks.

Please change name to Orca's

That's one beautiful jersey I would buy in a heartbeat.

In fact, I always wondered how great and unique the Canucks would look in a green jersey while keeping the pants and helmets blue. It would look so B.C.

You'd be less keen if you ever watched the Hartford Whalers. The green uni was too much!

This lesson further identifies the issue of our nickname being Canucks - we are not the whales, dolphins etc. and yes in anticipation of the "we are not the rinkies either" at least we play the sport that's depicted in the s in r. This is where I see the issue, people/fans are implying we are Orca's, Orca's are not Canucks.

It's a symbol, not a literal representation. Part of it is in the name of course (which also has been discussed ad nauseam): what exactly is a "Canuck"?

You'd be less keen if you ever watched the Hartford Whalers. The green uni was too much!

The Whalers had one of the very best logos and uniforms in hockey. Those all-green uniforms were unique while keeping a clean and elegant look. Can't have every team wearing blue, black and red uniforms. Huge kudos to both the Whalers and the North Stars(prior to adding black) on having vibrant and distinctive uniforms.

The Whalers had one of the very best logos and uniforms in hockey. Those all-green uniforms were unique while keeping a clean and elegant look. Can't have every team wearing blue, black and red uniforms. Huge kudos to both the Whalers and the North Stars(prior to adding black) on having vibrant and distinctive uniforms.

I remember watching the Canucks in their home yellows playing Hartford in their away greens and trying hard not to vomit. But yes, the Hartford logo was great!

I remember watching the Canucks in their home yellows playing Hartford in their away greens and trying hard not to vomit. But yes, the Hartford logo was great!

Do you prefer the generic white vs black or blue? What's wrong with colour variety?

Home yellow vs away green was unique and one of my favourite uniform match-ups. Or when the Canucks played Calgary and Detroit - yellow vs red.

C for Canucks. Stick in rink isn't as Canuck but is a reference to what the team plays. The Orca is a reference to where the team plays as Orca's are very common off our coast. There's no need to change the teams name. It's a very weak argument.

I think the next time we see any major changes in the jersey, will be with the next owners. Whenever that will be who knows???

Just keep it, Throw in a new "third jersey" each year for people who want to buy it.

None of the ones that people design and post here are that great.

Changing the jersey doesn't mean we have drop all our heritage, so let's not jump the OP. I think our current jersey is a bit too busy, with the wordmark and the Orca. The green and blue is great, we kinda own that now, but I think we should use the Green as the main and blue as the highlights instead.

I also agree with GarthButcher5 that in order for a logo to be classic, we need to evolve it and update it. I made the following design a while ago, it's an update to the "rink" logo, but on green instead of blue, this actually makes a better contrast, since the logo is mostly blue.

I also used the Canadiens' jersey design as framework for the stripes. I think the Hab's jersey is a classic, and not just because of the logo, but the overall colors.

This way, it's more of a design update, instead of forgoing our heritage. I think any hockey fan who sees this jersey can tell it's a Canucks jersey, but it's also very different from the current one. In any case, we have way too many blue jerseys in the NHL.

BtzPbqCCMAQP_fi.jpg

Although the Orca is my favorite (and likely always will be) the SiR actually looks a little better with the stripe as a background. I would make the logo slightly smaller so the white at top and bottom of the logo line up with the white of the chest stripe, dump the grey band, and change the green band to black. Then it would be a black and white band around the SiR that matches the striping at the bottom of the jersey. I still doubt that I'd spend my money on it, but I do like the color and striping. I've never been a fan of the SiR, but the updated version is certainly an improvement on the incredibly bland original.

Archived