The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PETITION] - Change Vancouver Canucks Jerseys

Caknuckle Puck

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Part of the Vancouver Canucks' history is to change their jersey from time to time. I don't mind this as it allows a new generation of fans to bond with it - and a new core to do something with it. Until the Sedin's retire or leave don't see the point in changing it, but after that don't have a problem with it. Never liked that the owners of Orca entertainment put their corporate logo on the team, but it has grown on me and the current version is the best yet. Stick in rink hell-ya! Great jersey - flying flaming skate logo is nostalgic for me and the Linden teams but think they should only dust it off for the occasional Calgary games as they were our biggest adversary at the time, and which is re-kindled now after last years embarrassment in the first round.

A true and timeless Vancouver Canucks uniform has these features:

1. Blue, green and white colours - BC-themed colours.

2. Stick In Rink C - Original NHL crest that has simplicity and elegance. The Canucks' own version of the Canadiens' CH.

3. Johnny Canuck - The inspiration for the club's team name, is BC-themed and has hockey elements.

4. White V's on the arm stripes - A unique feature on the original jerseys.

5. Traditional block-style font - The Canucks have always used the best font in sports until these current copy-and-paste jerseys came along with the weak Agency font.

The Skate and Flying V can be brought back for nostalgia. Fin the mascot is the only orca the club should keep...as a mascot, not a logo or primary crest.

A true and timeless Vancouver Canucks uniform has these features:

1. Blue, green and white colours - BC-themed colours.

2. Stick In Rink C - Original NHL crest that has simplicity and elegance. The Canucks' own version of the Canadiens' CH.

3. Johnny Canuck - The inspiration for the club's team name, is BC-themed and has hockey elements.

4. White V's on the arm stripes - A unique feature on the original jerseys.

5. Traditional block-style font - The Canucks have always used the best font in sports until these current copy-and-paste jerseys came along with the weak Agency font.

The Skate and Flying V can be brought back for nostalgia. Fin the mascot is the only orca the club should keep...as a mascot, not a logo or primary crest.

This guy^^^not sure whether he's Dolce or Gabana. Whatever the case may be, he sure is a colorful fashion critic.

Part of the Vancouver Canucks' history is to change their jersey from time to time. I don't mind this as it allows a new generation of fans to bond with it - and a new core to do something with it. Until the Sedin's retire or leave don't see the point in changing it, but after that don't have a problem with it. Never liked that the owners of Orca entertainment put their corporate logo on the team, but it has grown on me and the current version is the best yet. Stick in rink hell-ya! Great jersey - flying flaming skate logo is nostalgic for me and the Linden teams but think they should only dust it off for the occasional Calgary games as they were our biggest adversary at the time, and which is re-kindled now after last years embarrassment in the first round.

Not quite as simple as that as they made their corporate logo and the Canucks one the same. This is very different than say McDonald's or Toyota putting an existing corporate logo onto a team they buy.

How many petitions do we need? Frig. I was 12 when the first jersey (SIR) came out. Didn't like it (boring). I hated the V (a clown costume). The flying skate wasn't much better. Like the orca with the original colours. Stick with the Orca! Enough already!!

Changing the jersey doesn't mean we have drop all our heritage, so let's not jump the OP. I think our current jersey is a bit too busy, with the wordmark and the Orca. The green and blue is great, we kinda own that now, but I think we should use the Green as the main and blue as the highlights instead.

I also agree with GarthButcher5 that in order for a logo to be classic, we need to evolve it and update it. I made the following design a while ago, it's an update to the "rink" logo, but on green instead of blue, this actually makes a better contrast, since the logo is mostly blue.

I also used the Canadiens' jersey design as framework for the stripes. I think the Hab's jersey is a classic, and not just because of the logo, but the overall colors.

This way, it's more of a design update, instead of forgoing our heritage. I think any hockey fan who sees this jersey can tell it's a Canucks jersey, but it's also very different from the current one. In any case, we have way too many blue jerseys in the NHL.

BtzPbqCCMAQP_fi.jpg

I like the Orca and it's connection to our First Nations people. However, that green jersey would be a slick third jersey.

I like the Orca and it's connection to our First Nations people. However, that green jersey would be a slick third jersey.

The Canucks' name wasn't geared towards First Nations people. It was based on Johnny Canuck, whose lumberjack profession has deep historic roots in BC and represented our brave Canadian soldiers who fought for our freedoms during WWII.

The Stick In Rink is no different in class and simplicity than the Canadiens's CH or the Nordiques' Igloo N.

The Canucks' name wasn't geared towards First Nations people. It was based on Johnny Canuck, whose lumberjack profession has deep historic roots in BC and represented our brave Canadian soldiers who fought for our freedoms during WWII.

The Stick In Rink is no different in class and simplicity than the Canadiens's CH or the Nordiques' Igloo N.

I would argue the Native bands in the province hold much more historical roots than the lumberjacks.

The Orca is a sad attempt to represent the native people. First of all their colours were distinctly red and black. Our Orca is closer to a cartoon depiction of Haida art. So if that's where they were trying to go they should've have changed the colours too.

The issue for those longtime Canuck fans is that this Orca logo has been around for the birth and growth of a new fanbase. A fanbase that has come to taste success. So just like some of us associate the "good times" of the '94 run to the skate, they see the Orca. I don't see it going anywhere sadly because it's a poor representation of everything hockey. they could've got it right when they went back to the Green/Blue. Oh well.

The Orca is a sad attempt to represent the native people. First of all their colours were distinctly red and black. Our Orca is closer to a cartoon depiction of Haida art. So if that's where they were trying to go they should've have changed the colours too.

The issue for those longtime Canuck fans is that this Orca logo has been around for the birth and growth of a new fanbase. A fanbase that has come to taste success. So just like some of us associate the "good times" of the '94 run to the skate, they see the Orca. I don't see it going anywhere sadly because it's a poor representation of everything hockey. they could've got it right when they went back to the Green/Blue. Oh well.

Lengthy playoff runs are fun and exciting but true success is actually winning the Stanley Cup. I grew up with the Skate and I absolutely loved the logo and the colours. However, I was all for changing the logo and uniforms in '97 if it meant going back to the original colours with either the Stick In Rink or Johnny Canuck as the main crest. This club had to go back to their roots in order to move forward, not cater to one generation of fans. And, sadly enough, the meddling and clueless Orca Bay ownership wanted to put their corporate orca brand on the Canucks' identity.

Fast-forward to the present, I don't believe CEO deBonis when he said the orca is staying. What he says and what the Canucks will eventually do are two different things. But his reasoning for keeping the orca were absolutely weak and ludicrous. Keeping a bad and irrelevant logo just to cater to young fans and not to the entire Canucks fan base is plain WRONG.

All the other Vancouver sports teams have far superior primary logos that truly represent their team names or the sport they play and proudly represent their entire fan base, not just a couple of demographics. With the exception of the BC Lions, those other teams don't use an animal, Native art-style or not, to represent their identities.

Lengthy playoff runs are fun and exciting but true success is actually winning the Stanley Cup. I grew up with the Skate and I absolutely loved the logo and the colours. However, I was all for changing the logo and uniforms in '97 if it meant going back to the original colours with either the Stick In Rink or Johnny Canuck as the main crest. This club had to go back to their roots in order to move forward, not cater to one generation of fans. And, sadly enough, the meddling and clueless Orca Bay ownership wanted to put their corporate orca brand on the Canucks' identity.

Fast-forward to the present, I don't believe CEO deBonis when he said the orca is staying. What he says and what the Canucks will eventually do are two different things. But his reasoning for keeping the orca were absolutely weak and ludicrous. Keeping a bad and irrelevant logo just to cater to young fans and not to the entire Canucks fan base is plain WRONG.

All the other Vancouver sports teams have far superior primary logos that truly represent their team names or the sport they play and proudly represent their entire fan base, not just a couple of demographics. With the exception of the BC Lions, those other teams don't use an animal, Native art-style or not, to represent their identities.

It's what deBonis stated...(and it's Chief Operating Officer, not CEO).

Just because you wish for it, it ain't going to happen. The Canucks management decide upon the primary logo.

I was a season ticket holder from '89 to '97 and '05 to '13 so I lived through the skate, original orca and current orca. The orca is reaching 20 years. It's appeal isn't limited to a couple of demographics.

We get it. You don't like the orca logo.

Actually it's a Haida "style" and I suspect it was to represent the west coast (where the team plays) as opposed to representing aboriginal people.

I've been a fan since the team joined the nhl so please don't attempt to speak for me.

A logo doesn't need to represent the sport played. The evidence is there throughout the nhl. Very few teams (4 actually) have an obvious hockey reference included in their logo. What the Orca does very well is represent where the team plays. Far more important to me than representing the sport. It boggles my mind how many love the team colors because they are "pacific northwest" yet hate a logo that literally screams "pacific northwest". Put the two together and it represents where the team plays perfectly.

Keeping a bad and irrelevant logo just to cater to young fans and not to the entire Canucks fan base is plain WRONG.

Firstly, I'm far from a "young fan" and love the Orca logo. Many of my friends and family also love the logo.

There's absolutely nothing about the Orca logo that makes it irrelevant. You simply choose to ignore the relevance. Among the multitude of things you choose to ignore is that we'll never have a logo the "entire Canucks fan base" will be happy with. Admit it, it's all about YOUR happiness and what YOU like, not the entire fan base.

Archived