The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maxim Lapierre signs in Sweden

Surprised someone didn't pick him up for cheap. He is historically a great playoff performer and even though he had a terrible season in Pittsburgh last year I am surprised no one gave him a 1 year contract for a $1 mill. He's a vet who'd add a lot to a bubble playoff team.

Oh well, welcome to the new NHL we are transitioning into.

I would have taken Zidlicky over Weber, and Glencross over Vey, all day every day.

Yeah, of course - if your main goal is to win right now and worry about the future later. Chances are, Zidlicky and Glencross will be better next season than Weber and Vey (but that's not a lock).

But if you fill your roster spots with older vets, it pushes out youth, and then where are you next year? Especially if next year your team is more likely to be able to compete. Short of the very top draft picks, taking chances on younger players and allowing them room to develop into something better is the only way to find who will fulfill/exceed potential.

For instance nobody in the freakin world ever thought for a millisecond that Alex Burrows would ever score 30 goals in a season - let alone 35! Based on his first 1.5 seasons, many questioned if he was a legitimate NHL player. Then he was accepted as a bottom-6 depth player, but everyone freaked out when AV put him in a top-6 spot with Sundin. He went on to become one of the most productive ES goalscorers in the league for the next 4 seasons.

Will Vey become a successful NHL player? Maybe...maybe not. But there is only 1 way to find out - and it is NOT signing Curtis Glencross to take his spot.

Was really bummed when we signed Richardson and let him go....

Mainly because I disliked Richie because of his antics against us when he played with the Kings...

Anyways, Lappy was good in his time here, worked hard every shift from start to finish. When other guys were gliding to the bench he was skating as hard as he could to the door.

He is still an NHLer. This is a failure by the league to retain talent imho.

He was until he signed in Sweden you clown. God, I knew there'd be some "I'd take him back" bull$hit, but this is pathetic.

First Kovalchuk and now Lapierre. It's on you Bettman! This loss of talent is on you!

(That said, we'll likely see him in Vegas)

I'd rather have a guy like this than Vey on the fourth line. The Canucks are going to be terrible soon and I'd rather watch some entertaining characters on the team than a desperate team trying to win, but ultimately fail.

Of course. The reason we want this guy is so we can lose in style. No wonder I was confused by people pining.

He was until he signed in Sweden you clown. God, I knew there'd be some "I'd take him back" bull$hit, but this is pathetic.

First Kovalchuk and now Lapierre. It's on you Bettman! This loss of talent is on you!

(That said, we'll likely see him in Vegas)

Dude,

Drink some coffee. There are bigger problems in the world.

Archived