The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

14 minutes ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Bought 375 shares of GBT.

wayyyyyy oversold on some bad revenue. You would think they lost their FDA approval with these numbers but they didn’t. Easy money.

They got hammered. I think a goldman sach's analyst pegged them at $65 a share a few days ago then this happened lol. Tough day at the office for that guy. Their 1 year and 6 month charts looks pretty dreadful though

1 minute ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

They got hammered. I think a goldman sach's analyst pegged them at $65 a share a few days ago then this happened lol. Tough day at the office for that guy. Their 1 year and 6 month charts looks pretty dreadful though

Yeah but a 10% Q doesn't warrant a 40% selloff.

I'll gladly ride this out for 2-3 weeks to $50 or so.

You have to think, this has now bottomed out...

image.thumb.png.6ca06f38052a2b6d7f4184af6de2f742.png

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

Bought CVS stock in the last few days, looking good.

Finally went green on CVS after 9 months. They are still paying down debt on the Aetna purchase but 2021 should be a banner year. ABBV took off. Telus had a great Q3 and then announces a buyout of a AI company by Telus International. They confirmed their IPO of Telus International in Q1 of 2021.  I sold all BCE and lifted T to a 5% about 2 months ago.   

13 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Finally went green on CVS after 9 months. They are still paying down debt on the Aetna purchase but 2021 should be a banner year. ABBV took off. Telus had a great Q3 and then announces a buyout of a AI company by Telus International. They confirmed their IPO of Telus International in Q1 of 2021.  I sold all BCE and lifted T to a 5% about 2 months ago.   

Yeah, I have been in and out of CVS for the last couple of years.

Hopefully it stays up as it’s one of the most undervalued quality stocks out there.

I bought into IBM too, hopefully their cloud business picks up, another stock that’s undervalued but they overpaid for Red Hat deal.

4 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Yeah, I have been in and out of CVS for the last couple of years.

Hopefully it stays up as it’s one of the most undervalued quality stocks out there.

I bought into IBM too, hopefully their cloud business picks up, another stock that’s undervalued but they overpaid for Red Hat deal.

I was reading some good stuff about their B to B application of cloud tech. I was tempted but did not buy IBM. I don't think all the synergies are done by the CVS buyout of Aetna. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I was reading some good stuff about their B to B application of cloud tech. I was tempted but did not buy IBM. I don't think all the synergies are done by the CVS buyout of Aetna. 

The good thing about IBM is their dividend is $6.52 per share.

Nothing substitutes stock performance but with current bank rates that are garbage might be worth it IMO.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

The good thing about IBM is their dividend is $6.52 per share.

Nothing substitutes stock performance but with current bank rates that are garbage might be worth it IMO.

I like infrastructure stocks. Just reading a study on SWB transition of the grid. The study says new solar projects are cheapest option. By 2030 SWB will be well established and producing power at .03 cents /kWh. Huge disruption. I moved away from oil but now my natural gas ENB, TRP aand PPL are suspect. Just imagine the business opportunities at 3 cent power.

25 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I like infrastructure stocks. Just reading a study on SWB transition of the grid. The study says new solar projects are cheapest option. By 2030 SWB will be well established and producing power at .03 cents /kWh. Huge disruption. I moved away from oil but now my natural gas ENB, TRP aand PPL are suspect. Just imagine the business opportunities at 3 cent power.

solar tech is improving. There are huge opportunities coming up in that sector. This is why I and so many like Tesla despite their obscene valuation. They are growing like crazy and don't just make cars. Oil is on it's way out in the developed world (for energy). It still has a place in other developing nations from an energy perspective and we still use it in many products. We talk about diversifying our portfolios and we are finally getting close (hopefully within 5-10 years) to being able to start to diversify our energy sources outside of FF. In BC we are lucky that most of the province has access to hydro.

The successful oil companies will be the ones who adapt their operations. Shell has some renewable stakes in the fire but I'd like to see more, I think being a European company has forced their hand in getting into that space, which should be of benefit to them. Then you have the Exxons of the world that seem to want to fight the transition. Exxon should have lowered their insane dividend.

3 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

solar tech is improving. There are huge opportunities coming up in that sector. This is why I and so many like Tesla despite their obscene valuation. They are growing like crazy and don't just make cars. Oil is on it's way out in the developed world (for energy). It still has a place in other developing nations from an energy perspective and we still use it in many products. We talk about diversifying our portfolios and we are finally getting close (hopefully within 5-10 years) to being able to start to diversify our energy sources outside of FF. In BC we are lucky that most of the province has access to hydro.

The successful oil companies will be the ones who adapt their operations. Shell has some renewable stakes in the fire but I'd like to see more, I think being a European company has forced their hand in getting into that space, which should be of benefit to them. Then you have the Exxons of the world that seem to want to fight the transition. Exxon should have lowered their insane dividend.

I was with Shell from 1970 - 96 and always found them very progressive. They funded the development of wood pellets as a alternative fuel. They actually had a agri division that developed chemical apps that reduced tillage and improved yields. Corporately I don't know that much about their R&D. What we saw in the field was their actual activity. The joke in Shell was that they could set a drill rig up on a pool of oil and still hit gas. The issue with all this stuff is generating enough revenue to warrant the effort. I was surprised when SHell moved forward with LNG in Rupert.

When you read studies that suggest electric power can be generated at .03 c3nts/kwh by SWB systems you have to pay attention. Firing the entire USA grid with SWB at a capital cost of > $2 trillion is hugely disruptive. Cheap power electrifies the highways and brings high consumption industry back to the USA. It likely drives agriculture upwards inside buildings for selected crops. Reduces crude oil demand by 60%. I honestly did not believe battery technology was that far along.    

Edited by Boudrias
add
  • Cheers 1

23 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Both BP and Shell lowered their dividends but there was political pressure not too. Their dividends are core revenue for many retirees. Their stock is held by government pension plans. I held Shell until they cut their dividend and sold afterwards.

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Both BP and Shell lowered their dividends but there was political pressure not too. Their dividends are core revenue for many retirees. Their stock is held by government pension plans. I held Shell until they cut their dividend and sold afterwards.

This is true but it isn't their responsibility to maintain pensions at the detriment of the long term financial health of the company. Given the times, I think a dividend cut was not only expected but also reasonable. Even after the dividend cut they are paying out over 5% which is nothing to sneeze at. Plus they are still generating cash and not borrowing to pay their dividend ala Exxon.