The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

5 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

So AC is above where I bought it... wtf.

Should I sell it for a marginal profit but guarantee no loss? or risk it climbing for another couple days?

5 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Played it safe and sold.

On 4/6/2020 at 10:58 AM, Shift-4 said:

I tend to agree. 

Can't see a lot of travelers until vaccine is out.

Hope we're all right about this! 

29 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Almost time to start thinking about where to buy a new laptop

22 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I just saw ... LOL

Stock went up when those 16,500 employees got laid off, and they're going up while they're being rehired with this emergency wage subsidy. 

Details of the CEWS are still outstanding, but are intended to generally reimburse employers suffering revenue declines exceeding 30 per cent, which is the case for Air Canada. As a result of the crisis, Air Canada has abruptly reduced its seat capacity by 85 to 90 per cent and is incurring significant revenue losses. Any near-term recovery is reliant on the lifting of domestic and international travel restrictions and return of passenger traffic.

2 minutes ago, HI5 said:

Stock went up when those 16,500 employees got laid off, and they're going up while they're being rehired with this emergency wage subsidy. 

So you think it'll come crashing down given the domestic and international travel restrictions won't be lifted anytime soon?

1 minute ago, NucksPatsFan said:

So you think it'll come crashing down given the domestic and international travel restrictions won't be lifted anytime soon?

Yes.  

Almost without question.  We're 2-3 months from regular international travel.

Look at cruise stocks too for longer term decent roi

1 minute ago, NucksPatsFan said:

If this virus sticks around, I would think it should standpat or come crashing down. 

24 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

It’s gonna hit 19 ffs 

It's all reactionary, end of the day they still can't fly and theirs articles coming out suggesting social distancing could go as far as 2022. Until mandatory quarantine after travel and international bans get lifted, Air Canada is making no money. 

But man, the Skip account balance would have been nice!

4 minutes ago, HI5 said:

It's all reactionary, end of the day they still can't fly and theirs articles coming out suggesting social distancing could go as far as 2022. Until mandatory quarantine after travel and international bans get lifted, Air Canada is making no money. 

But man, the Skip account balance would have been nice!

Yup. I'm not expecting it to last. Just disappointed that I didn't wait the extra day. Hindsight. 

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Going to keep my direct investing account on Questrade but thinking about signing up with BPS Wealth Management. Anyone hear of them before?

BPS seems to be a CIBC Woody Gundy advisor. Don't know them.  How do you like Questrade? I deal thru Qtrade and they are pretty decent actually. 

Wish I didn't take profits from Restaurants International a couple days ago but with the yo-yo-ing going, the smart move is to take profits as they rise and buy back when they fall imo. Virus isn't going anywhere yet while stocks are going up and down over 20% in a matter of days. 

15 hours ago, Duodenum said:

Wish I didn't take profits from Restaurants International a couple days ago but with the yo-yo-ing going, the smart move is to take profits as they rise and buy back when they fall imo. Virus isn't going anywhere yet while stocks are going up and down over 20% in a matter of days. 

AC up another 10% today. 

Hope they start dropping soon

20 hours ago, Boudrias said:

BPS seems to be a CIBC Woody Gundy advisor. Don't know them.  How do you like Questrade? I deal thru Qtrade and they are pretty decent actually. 

The Globe and Mail did an article a year ago comparing various online brokerages which can be found here:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/investing/article-which-online-brokerage-is-best-rob-carrick-ranks-your-options/?utm_source=Carrick on Money&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=2020-4-7_19&utm_content=CarrickonMoney&utm_term=broker_rankings

Edited by UnkNuk
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Requires an account to read that article.

7 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

AC up another 10% today. 

Hope they start dropping soon

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Even if airlines re-open in 2-3 months who is going to be traveling while this thing is still out on the loose? From the sounds of things, many governments are contemplating re-opening even with positive cases still ongoing. Your going to have a long time to potentially pick away at this if you want. Right now is just the initial rally but it'll come back down. In the long term, expect this to be more of an L - shaped recovery rather than a V o U shaped recovery.