The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Teen Charged With Encouraging Boyfriend to Kill Himself

nucklehead

She was fine up until she started challenging him regarding why he hadn't killed himself yet.

It wasn't like she bullied him into it, but the tail-end of the conversation sure makes her out to be a bad friend. If one of my friends wanted to commit suicide at the start of September but hadn't gone through with it at the end of September, I'd take that as I sign they may have doubts, not a sign that I should challenge them to follow through.

I could be totally wrong but one point that stands out is the young age of this kid. He did this at eighteen and had attempted at 16. I'm not dismissing that he was dealing with real issues as obviously he was.

But at 18 how much or how many traumatic experiences could he have had to bring him to this point? My thoughts are that the young age of 18, he was suffering from mental illness(s). I feel that mental illness can be treated/ dealt with.

In the texts, there were moments where he was unsure of following through with suicide and At these stages anyone, her in this case, should be taking that fleeting and maybe only chance to intervene.

There is no mention in this story of a kid who had suffered trauma, abuse, etc. so can we assume it's mental illness And treatable?

She was fine up until she started challenging him regarding why he hadn't killed himself yet.

It wasn't like she bullied him into it, but the tail-end of the conversation sure makes her out to be a bad friend. If one of my friends wanted to commit suicide at the start of September but hadn't gone through with it at the end of September, I'd take that as I sign they may have doubts, not a sign that I should challenge them to follow through.

Oh look a logical response. In b4 ex-banned poster tells you how much you're a troll.

The dude seemed like he had a really low self of esteem and had suicide on his mind for a long time. But her constantly encouraging and even peer pressuring him into doing it should result in some type of consequence. The repetitive nagging from her should warrant some jail time or fine for sure.

My question is what are the real factors that drive people to suicide? This world has seemed to create many lost souls where quite a few people feel distant from the so called "real world", a world where all you see is pain and continue to feel pain?

Lets get a good discussion going on what you think the causal factors are, since at least two of you have experienced this event.

Well, here's my story,

When I was 13 I was diagnosed with Epilepsy. Now at 13 I didn't exactly understand what was going on. Why all of a sudden do I have a splitting headache, why all of a sudden to I feel incredibly weak and so tired? I didn't know what Epilepsy was at that age. I had endless doctor appointments, went on several medications. Fast foward 11 years and I still have it, but now I have accepted it.

From the age of 17-19, I was having pretty brutal seizures. One was so bad that I had injured by body by banging on the floor. I hated Epilepsy, I hated that I would have this condition for the rest of my life, and hated that fact that I would always be a big burden on someone's life. During those years, I kind of just lost myself, didn't know who I was anymore. I didn't feel like a person, I more felt like I was just a burden on on my parents every single day because of my condition. I was terrible at school, didn't get a long with majority of my family members, from my brother to all my cousins and my aunts/uncles. I just had one cousin who I got a long with, turned out she was the only one I needed. I didn't have a lot of friends either. Everyday I kept thinking to myself, "If I wasn't here, would anyone even miss me?" and "if I wasn't here, maybe my parents wouldn't have such a big burden on themselves." I didn't know what my purpose was in life. I honestly felt like I was a waste of a body. I had thought about suicide a couple of times. I was sick and tired of everything, with school, with my condition, with my parents always checking up on me 24/7, 365. I felt like I was missing out on so many things regular people do. In highschool there were always these trips that everyone would go to, and I wasn't allowed to go. My parents were too scared for me to go. I honestly thought that my family and friends wouldn't miss me at all. I had only thought about suicide, never attempted it. Well more like I didn't have a chance to attempt it.

I said that I only had one cousin that I get a long with, she's basically a sister to me. She lives in Toronto so I couldn't really just go to her whenever I was feeling down and just rant about how my life was going. We were speaking on the phone on October 7, 2010 a day before her birthday. I had decided that on October 9th I was going to attempt it. While we were talking about random things, she had told me that I was speaking in a different tone. She kept asking if I was okay, I told her I was fine. We ended up having a conversation about the future. Where we'd be, where we'd be working, if we would be successful, who we'd be with etc etc. I had started crying on the phone, and she had never heard me cry. She asked me again if I was okay, I said I was fine. But she knew something was up. When you're really close to someone, when something is wrong with them, you can just tell, and she could tell completely that something was wrong. The next day I had called her to wish her happy birthday but it went straight to voicemail. Called her an hour later and it again went to voicemail. I was wondering what was wrong, why wasn't she answering her phone. A couple of hours later, she had called me and told me to open the door. I was so confused, I asked her what door, she told me to open my house door. She took the earliest flight from Toronto to Vancouver to come and see me. She said to me that she had to come, she knew something was wrong and right there I started breaking down, I was crying so much that I couldn't even breathe. I told her everything, that I was feeling useless, that I was thinking of suicide, I told her that I was thinking of attempting it the next day.

My parents had no idea that I was feeling like this, they thought everything was fine, because I made it seem like that. When my cousin came, I didn't want them to know she was here. They would start asking a lot of questions. It was beginning October, she's in grade 12, why would she come to Vancouver right now? She ended up getting a hotel near my house. She said she wasn't going to go back to Toronto until I was better, until I got over this feeling. She had asked me if she could tell her parents because they would be asking the exact same questions. I said sure, so she told them everything. They had spoken to me and promised me that they wouldn't say anything to my parents, and they didn't. Months went by and my cousin came with me to talk with a councilor, she was there for every appointment and helped me get through this difficult time in my life and I love her for it. 5 years later and I can proudly say that I have a great life, I finally figured out what I want to do with school, I have great friends, I have a great boyfriend, I'm starting to get along with my family members and the #1 thing is that I've finally accepted my Epilepsy. I had a seizure recently in December, while I do get sad over it sometimes, I just rub it off my shoulders. I'm going to have this condition for the rest of my life, and I realized that I can't cry over spilt milk. Lastly, I became thankful that I do have parents who are concerned about me and take care of me, something that I didn't realize before. Anything can drive people towards thinking about suicide and then actually commiting it. These were my reasons why I thought of it, and I'm thankful that I had a cousin that went to the ends of the earth to make me get over this feeling.

This girl who encouraged her boyfriend, who she claimed to be the love of her life to kill himself, thats just messed up. "You cant think about it.You just have do it do.You said you were gonna do it. Like I don't get why you aren't" That right there shows that this girl was messed up. "Like I don't get why you aren't" Well maybe he had second thoughts? Maybe he thought eventually everything would get better? If she truly loved him, then she would've done everything in her power to make him stop. Like how my cousin did with me, and eventually things did get better. Suicide is never the answer for anything. Even though he had his mind set, there always something, or someone that could've saved his life. But this girl didn't care one bit. She didn't even try, and that's what makes me really sad.

To everyone who has read my post(very very lengthly post...) If there is anyone you know that are having these thoughts, please help them. Even if you don't know them personally. A friend of a friend, or your friend's cousin, anybody. Help them, make sure they know that there is always a light at the end of the tunnel, tell them that things will eventually get better.

Ps. I truly do apologize for my lengthly post. I just felt like it needed to be said.

Well, here's my story,

When I was 13 I was diagnosed with Epilepsy. Now at 13 I didn't exactly understand what was going on. Why all of a sudden do I have a splitting headache, why all of a sudden to I feel incredibly weak and so tired? I didn't know what Epilepsy was at that age. I had endless doctor appointments, went on several medications. Fast foward 11 years and I still have it, but now I have accepted it.

From the age of 17-19, I was having pretty brutal seizures. One was so bad that I had injured by body by banging on the floor. I hated Epilepsy, I hated that I would have this condition for the rest of my life, and hated that fact that I would always be a big burden on someone's life. During those years, I kind of just lost myself, didn't know who I was anymore. I didn't feel like a person, I more felt like I was just a burden on on my parents every single day because of my condition. I was terrible at school, didn't get a long with majority of my family members, from my brother to all my cousins and my aunts/uncles. I just had one cousin who I got a long with, turned out she was the only one I needed. I didn't have a lot of friends either. Everyday I kept thinking to myself, "If I wasn't here, would anyone even miss me?" and "if I wasn't here, maybe my parents wouldn't have such a big burden on themselves." I didn't know what my purpose was in life. I honestly felt like I was a waste of a body. I had thought about suicide a couple of times. I was sick and tired of everything, with school, with my condition, with my parents always checking up on me 24/7, 365. I felt like I was missing out on so many things regular people do. In highschool there were always these trips that everyone would go to, and I wasn't allowed to go. My parents were too scared for me to go. I honestly thought that my family and friends wouldn't miss me at all. I had only thought about suicide, never attempted it. Well more like I didn't have a chance to attempt it.

I said that I only had one cousin that I get a long with, she's basically a sister to me. She lives in Toronto so I couldn't really just go to her whenever I was feeling down and just rant about how my life was going. We were speaking on the phone on October 7, 2010 a day before her birthday. I had decided that on October 9th I was going to attempt it. While we were talking about random things, she had told me that I was speaking in a different tone. She kept asking if I was okay, I told her I was fine. We ended up having a conversation about the future. Where we'd be, where we'd be working, if we would be successful, who we'd be with etc etc. I had started crying on the phone, and she had never heard me cry. She asked me again if I was okay, I said I was fine. But she knew something was up. When you're really close to someone, when something is wrong with them, you can just tell, and she could tell completely that something was wrong. The next day I had called her to wish her happy birthday but it went straight to voicemail. Called her an hour later and it again went to voicemail. I was wondering what was wrong, why wasn't she answering her phone. A couple of hours later, she had called me and told me to open the door. I was so confused, I asked her what door, she told me to open my house door. She took the earliest flight from Toronto to Vancouver to come and see me. She said to me that she had to come, she knew something was wrong and right there I started breaking down, I was crying so much that I couldn't even breathe. I told her everything, that I was feeling useless, that I was thinking of suicide, I told her that I was thinking of attempting it the next day.

My parents had no idea that I was feeling like this, they thought everything was fine, because I made it seem like that. When my cousin came, I didn't want them to know she was here. They would start asking a lot of questions. It was beginning October, she's in grade 12, why would she come to Vancouver right now? She ended up getting a hotel near my house. She said she wasn't going to go back to Toronto until I was better, until I got over this feeling. She had asked me if she could tell her parents because they would be asking the exact same questions. I said sure, so she told them everything. They had spoken to me and promised me that they wouldn't say anything to my parents, and they didn't. Months went by and my cousin came with me to talk with a councilor, she was there for every appointment and helped me get through this difficult time in my life and I love her for it. 5 years later and I can proudly say that I have a great life, I finally figured out what I want to do with school, I have great friends, I have a great boyfriend, I'm starting to get along with my family members and the #1 thing is that I've finally accepted my Epilepsy. I had a seizure recently in December, while I do get sad over it sometimes, I just rub it off my shoulders. I'm going to have this condition for the rest of my life, and I realized that I can't cry over spilt milk. Lastly, I became thankful that I do have parents who are concerned about me and take care of me, something that I didn't realize before. Anything can drive people towards thinking about suicide and then actually commiting it. These were my reasons, and I'm thankful that I had a cousin that went to the ends of the earth to make me get over this feeling.

This girl who encouraged her boyfriend, who she claimed to be the love of her life to kill himself, thats just messed up. "You cant think about it.You just have do it do.You said you were gonna do it. Like I don't get why you aren't" That right there shows that this girl was messed up. "Like I don't get why you aren't" Well maybe he had second thoughts? Maybe he thought eventually everything would get better? If she truly loved him, then she would've done everything in her power to make him stop. Like how my cousin did with me, and eventually things did get better. Suicide is never the answer for anything. Even though he had his mind set, there always something, or someone that could've saved his life. But this girl didn't care one bit. She didn't even try, and that's what makes me really sad.

To everyone who has read my post(very very lengthly post...) If there is anyone you know that are having these thoughts, please help them. Even if you don't know them personally. A friend of a friend, or your friend's cousin, anybody. Help them, make sure they know that there is always a light at the end of the tunnel, tell them that things will eventually get better.

Ps. I truly do apologize for my lengthly post. I just felt like it needed to be said.

I don't know you but you are awesome.

Reading this made me feel better and I was already in a good mood!

Thank you.

Edit:

And your friend is amazing which you know. Real friend as it gets.

Well, here's my story,

My parents had no idea that I was feeling like this, they thought everything was fine, because I made it seem like that. When my cousin came, I didn't want them to know she was here. They would start asking a lot of questions. It was beginning October, she's in grade 12, why would she come to Vancouver right now? She ended up getting a hotel near my house. She said she wasn't going to go back to Toronto until I was better, until I got over this feeling. She had asked me if she could tell her parents because they would be asking the exact same questions. I said sure, so she told them everything. They had spoken to me and promised me that they wouldn't say anything to my parents, and they didn't. Months went by and my cousin came with me to talk with a councilor, she was there for every appointment and helped me get through this difficult time in my life and I love her for it. 5 years later and I can proudly say that I have a great life, I finally figured out what I want to do with school, I have great friends, I have a great boyfriend, I'm starting to get along with my family members and the #1 thing is that I've finally accepted my Epilepsy. I had a seizure recently in December, while I do get sad over it sometimes, I just rub it off my shoulders. I'm going to have this condition for the rest of my life, and I realized that I can't cry over spilt milk. Lastly, I became thankful that I do have parents who are concerned about me and take care of me, something that I didn't realize before. Anything can drive people towards thinking about suicide and then actually commiting it. These were my reasons why I thought of it, and I'm thankful that I had a cousin that went to the ends of the earth to make me get over this feeling.

Thanks for sharing your story. Cousin is a terrific person.

I don't know you but you are awesome.

Reading this made me feel better and I was already in a good mood!

Thank you.

Edit:

And your friend is amazing which you know. Real friend as it gets.

You're welcome! Always makes me happy to put someone in a good mood, well for you I guess it would be a better mood! She's my cousin, but I consider her a friend and also a sister. I feel like calling her my cousin doesn't really do justice to who she is. She is much more than that. She saved my life, and I hope everyone has a cousin/friend/sibling like her.

Thanks for sharing your story. Cousin is a terrific person.

You're welcome! And yeah she really really is. I owe her my life, literally.

Reminds me of a Supernatural episode. Instead of being charged for encouragement to suicide Blood Mary was trying to kill her.

On the real side. Damn 18? Buddy had so much ahead.

On another side note her forehead is bigger than her face.

Sad that he lacked the wherewithal to know better. Doubly sad that there is someone out there with a serious lack of forehead because this dope got twice her share.

No need to apologize, it was nice to have someone share their story as well. As much as it's my wife who has depression, I'm battling it along with her and it can be a struggle for everyone. I only imagine what you and her are going through/have went through.

Give her a hug for me, from all the people who help support people who are really fighting the battles. I'm just glad I can be that support to somebody, and I'm glad she can be yours too.

No need to apologize, it was nice to have someone share their story as well. As much as it's my wife who has depression, I'm battling it along with her and it can be a struggle for everyone. I only imagine what you and her are going through/have went through.

Give her a hug for me, from all the people who help support people who are really fighting the battles. I'm just glad I can be that support to somebody, and I'm glad she can be yours too.

I'm glad that you're there for your wife. I've heard a lot of stories were one person in a relationship jumps ship when the other is battling with depression, as well as other illnesses. I don't know you, but thank you for being the type of person that will stick by their loved ones when times are tough. As for your wife, let her know that she can survive this, tell her that there is always hope. Even though times are tough right now, in the end everything will be perfect. I hope you and her can win this battle together.

Give your wife a hug from me too. Tell her that a random girl from a Canucks forum believes that she'll win the battle.

Archived