The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Benning part with more Vets?

Totes McGoats

You're right it doesn't make sense unless you look at it from his standpoint. He's a Gold Meddle (I made a mistake, take note) Winner, A Champion... he's represented his country on numerous occasions.

He's been a stealer(OH MY GOD another mistake, TAKE NOTE) player for the Vancouver Canucks for years now, yet he has to endure the ridicule of disrespectful fans on a constant bases.

He should retire a Canuck, not be traded or ever considered ready for the trash heap!!

He's set, he's got money, a loving family and a life full of opportunities for the future.

Why shouldn't he bow out gracefully... even though the Canack Fan Base thinks "Grace" is a waitress!!

I've edited this for you so you can begin to understand why I offened some of you so often... Sorry As Hell !!

Its your opinion! But it has nothing to do why a player should retire. Do you really believe he's the only Canuck thats been ridicule. You make it sound like all the fans have been on his back.

Its your opinion! But it has nothing to do why a player should retire. Do you really believe he's the only Canuck thats been ridicule. You make it sound like all the fans have been on his back.

Holy $&!#.. Leave it alone, you Hockey Purists ... do you really Love the "Sound" of Beating A Dead Horse !!!

Well in good time yes, for instance vrbata, prust and hamhuis are all ufas at seasons end.

Sedin-sedin-virtanen

Baerschi-horvat-burrows

Higgins-sutter-hansen

Kenins-McCann-dorsett

Gaunce

Edler-tanev

Sbisa-corrado

Bartkowski-weber

Hutton-fedun

But what about those lucic wants to come to Vancouver in the off season rumours? So then that might push out burrows and/or Higgins/hansen.

Personally, I feel vrbata and prust will be deadline deals as well as one of burrows, Hansen or Higgins and hamhuis will stay because we have no young blue chip prospects that are demanding ice time on the blue line. Then we'll have lots of cap space and roster spots for next season...also hoping vey gets shipped out along the way

Lucic-horvat-virtanen

Sedin-sedin-burrows

Baerschi-sutter-hansen

Kenins-McCann-dorsett

Gaunce-shinkaruk

Without lucic

Sedin-sedin-virtanen

Baerschi-horvat-burrows

Gaunce-sutter-Hansen

Kenins-McCann-dorsett

Shinkaruk

50/50 between youth and vets

Anyone else got the feeling Trader Jim's working the phones?

I think they were fairly sure about Jake and possibly Gaunce making the team, but likely no others, and almost certainly none on D.

If things continue, Linden Vey might just come up with a phantom injury in a week or so.

It wouldn't surprise me, but what would is if he could get decent value for a vet at this time of year. After Willie's comments last night about some of our vets being in danger of losing their jobs, it's clear that management is taking notice of what McCann and Hutton are doing. But it remains to be seen how much of this is about motivating sluggish vets and how much of it is serious. Interesting times!

It's a sad state for sure to be considering how many vets should be moved...it makes us look desperate...and we probably should be. In my opinion the semi-rebuild is not working out the way we all hoped; it is going to leave us in the middle of the NHL, same place we've been for most of the Canucks history. We have 2 aging stars (Sedins) that need to be replaced, and if they can't net the return we need from a trade (I doubt they would ever be traded anyways - I think they would have been moved by now if they could have been or if they wanted it), then the alternative is to draft/trade/FA sign a young stud or 2 to step up. I honestly don't see any of our current prospects playing above the 2nd line or 2nd pairing right now (I hope a few of them pan out better)...but as was stated in another thread about our current and past GM's, we've been left with a giant gap between vets and rooks.

After watching the highlights from the past few pre-season games I've come to the conclusion that the fastest turn-around will be the focus on our defensive/possession game. If we continue to turn over the puck and allow players to sneak in behind our coverage as I've noted in preseason, we are gonna get killed in the regular season. If we allow the Yotes' players to step out in front of our net the way they did last night, then how are we gonna fair against McDavid, Kopitar, Gaudreau, Monahan, Getzlaf, Perry etc. doing the same thing? That will absolutely kill us. It won't matter how many prospects make the team and tear up the score sheet. We have been giving up far too many high quality scoring chances (we look like the Oilers from the past 6 years - doesn't matter what the offense looked like, it was their inability to reduce the quality chances that got them killed). A couple of defensive minded trades (Sutter / Prust) will not solve the problem. We need a D-stud that will give our forwards confidence, and inspire them to play 200ft every shift , every game.

We're in no rush to do so.

Vets will continue to be moved in order to give young guys who have proven themselves ready on a yearly basis.

It's almost certain Vey will be sent down or be traded unless he "suddenly" gets injured in the next week - which is a distinct possibility. Too bad and hope he can turn things around before the inevitable happens.

The scary thing about moving Vbrata is unless Jake is ready canucks don’t really have a top 6 RW. Burrows can hold his own with the twins still but he’s better suited as a 3rd line player. In an ideal world, Burrows plays the year with the twins, Vbrata on the 2nd line and then Jake, Hansen, and Dorsett would rotate bottom 6 RW duties.

At the deadline we then move Vbrata and we hopefully Jake is ready to be bumped him into a 2nd line role.

I don’t think Hansen will be moved this year. Grenier and Jensen don’t look quite ready to consistently replace what Hansen brings and Vey has a completely different skill set. The only player I think that could push Hansen out is if Kenins is able to play on his off wing (similar to Burrows). If Kenins can and also improve his defensive game, that would allow us to move on from Hansen, Unless that happens we don’t have the RW depth to move both Vbrata and Hansen this year.

The real question is what happens next year. Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Kenins will all be fighting even more for roster spots on the LW. With Sedin and Baertschi looking up top 6, we only have two spots open. If we let Prust walk, that would seem like poor asset management (unless we move him at deadline this year too).

It’s really a nice feeling to have all these prospect in our system for once. Finally isn’t not just one player were hoping can make the jump, we have 2-4 guys all looking to crack the roster.

Archived