The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] From Sportsnet Article - Value for Stamkos from Calgary

Mark Spector posted an article about how Flames GM Brad Treliving is madly working the phones to shake up his roster.  He mentioned how he inquired about pending UFA Stamkos. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flames-seeking-a-big-trade-to-clean-up-a-big-mess/

Obviously I think there is a VERY slim chance of this deal happening (pretty much 0% chance), as superstars are almost never traded BUT for fun, with all of Calgary's young assets, what do you think the price would be for Stamkos from Yzerman?

My opinion is that they would ask for Monahan, Russell, Ferland and a first round pick

lol clean up a large mess? they are a few months removed from their best season in a long time and sure they are off to a bad start but its only 6 games in....

Sportsnet just trying to boost hits to their site and network from Alberta, no way  Stamkos goes to the lames.

but for discussions sake..

2 first round picks, Hudler, Geaudreau. Bennett and change for Stammer and later picks at least, he wont be cheap.

High end young gun like Monahan, Gaudreau, or Bennett, plus  Brodie/Hamilton, and at least a first and a second. If not a first and a second then maybe two firsts. BUT In my opinion  this won't solve any of Calgary's problem. Goaltending  is the main concern. So this does very little for the Flames. Yes adding Stamkos would be extraordinary, but they need someone who can stop a puck every now and then. 

I highly doubt Stammer's going anywhere tbh.  

Eric Staal on the other hand...

I would wonder why Calgary would give up all their youth. Their youth is their depth and a growing part of their core. That bodes well.  Even a player like Stamkos, without all that, will set their rebuild back a fair bit?

Plus you would like to think you have negotiated a new deal!

I don't think they will pull off Stamkos. Not as a trade anyway.

I'm curious if cowtown is going to extend Hudler.  His time in Calgary has been a huge success so far.  Seen exponential growth.  But an extension will come at fairly high cost one would think.

I think that is extremely interesting as well!  A big success!

But is he what drove the improvement or just an opportunistically thriving around others?  I would think the emergences of Gio, Monahan and Brodie, now Pee Wee Hockey are all more significant.   

With Monahan, Bennett assuming he develops and I think he will, plus Backstrom up the middle > I could see Hudler easily gone next year or sooner. 

The salaries of Jones, Hudler & Russell would pay for Stamkos if he would come. It would also make room for a BIG package of Milan Lucic & Dustin Byfuglien.

Spector is one of the worst journalists out there. Not a chance in H E double hockey sticks does Stamkos get traded to Calgary. Calgary is not trading any of Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett, or Brodie. As was already mentioned these are all part of their youth development. What they really need, as was also previously mentioned, is a goaltender.

Back to the article though, I recall that all these supposed hockey insiders, experts, ex-players were drooling over the Flames. Some were even predicting they would be #1 in the West at the end of the year. I know it's only 6 games in for the Flames but their goaltending has been horrible, Giordano has looked mediocre at best, Hamilton has been horrible. The only reason the Flames have one win this year is because Gaudreau, Monahan, and Frolik are the only players that have shown up to play. Mr. I am 18 Bennett has been scratched already this year. I believe that the Flames are this years Avalanche. How could the Flames sustain any success with the awful possession stats they had last year????

Once again an awful article by an awful journalist.

Spector is one of the worst journalists out there. Not a chance in H E double hockey sticks does Stamkos get traded to Calgary. Calgary is not trading any of Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett, or Brodie. As was already mentioned these are all part of their youth development. What they really need, as was also previously mentioned, is a goaltender.

Back to the article though, I recall that all these supposed hockey insiders, experts, ex-players were drooling over the Flames. Some were even predicting they would be #1 in the West at the end of the year. I know it's only 6 games in for the Flames but their goaltending has been horrible, Giordano has looked mediocre at best, Hamilton has been horrible. The only reason the Flames have one win this year is because Gaudreau, Monahan, and Frolik are the only players that have shown up to play. Mr. I am 18 Bennett has been scratched already this year. I believe that the Flames are this years Avalanche. How could the Flames sustain any success with the awful possession stats they had last year????

Once again an awful article by an awful journalist.

bang on.  The Flames are going down this year.  They are going to do just badly enough to get Hartley fired - I can't stand that idiot.  But not so badly as to get a top ten pick.  That's my prediction.  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived