The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New grading scale for some schools in California means 50% is now a C

Armada

If we're gonna play that game...

Hey, I never said I was a scholar when it comes to the English language and my C- average can attest to that B).  Although it would be a solid C+ average if I went to this school district.  'Gonna' leave this thread now hehe.

School isn't for everyone. I usually only stayed for half the class's. Still passed. Shit id even get up half way through the class and leave if its just a waste of my time. Like i give a fuck what river some explorers rowed down to trade beaver pelts. Or how many rings Saturn has around it. Just HELL NO.

Saying school isn't for everyone is damn near the same as saying Education isn't for everyone, and that is pure bullshit. You passed because of ideas like this thread is promoting; the lowering of the grade scale, instead of trying to actually educate you, they just lowered things until your half assed approach was enough for you to scrape by so they could pump another under-educated, non-critical thinking citizen into the workforce under prepared for what society will actually throw at you.

Ignorance is the cause of so many of our societies problems, your attitude towards school is the result of a failed, standardized system - take it from somebody who had the benefit of spending most of his High School years away from "Public Education"

You don't have the freedom to learn about anything you want, and you haven't been taught to proper value of the basics, and that is a damn shame. I sincerely pity you for that and hope that one day your opinion grows and changes.

Saying school isn't for everyone is damn near the same as saying Education isn't for everyone, and that is pure bull$&!#. You passed because of ideas like this thread is promoting; the lowering of the grade scale, instead of trying to actually educate you, they just lowered things until your half assed approach was enough for you to scrape by so they could pump another under-educated, non-critical thinking citizen into the workforce under prepared for what society will actually throw at you.

Ignorance is the cause of so many of our societies problems, your attitude towards school is the result of a failed, standardized system - take it from somebody who had the benefit of spending most of his High School years away from "Public Education"

You don't have the freedom to learn about anything you want, and you haven't been taught to proper value of the basics, and that is a damn shame. I sincerely pity you for that and hope that one day your opinion grows and changes.

You really going to defend public education? Its daycare. I spend half my time at school in pointless class's such as gym computer class. CAP. cooking, art. Being forced to take these bull$&!# class's to get "credits" to get your "grade 12". We dont learn anything about current events, We dont learn anything about the difference's of political parties.. I passed because it moves at a snails pace and it designed for dumb people. Our school system and our education is a &^@#ing joke compared to other places in the world. Passing school and getting your grade 12 just means you're not a retard.

It's actually worse than this.  Participation trophies at least reward effort, showing up and making an attempt to try something even if you don't succeed.  Whereas this system punishes risk taking.

This doesn't promote self-esteem at all.  This says "we have to dumb things down for you".  We should be saying "yes it might be hard, but you're capable of achieving it and we'll help you".

Agreed!

There is competition, but you don't get grades in real life either.

Ever had a performance review???  There may not necessarily be letter grades, or a structured system like in school, but plenty of employees get "graded" on their work.

We're talking high-school kids here.  They are going to be in the labor force soon enough, so they better learn quickly that they won't be coddled as much as they are now.

You really going to defend public education? Its fucking daycare. I spend half my time at school in pointless class's such as gym computer class. CAP. cooking, art. Being forced to take these bullshit class's to get "credits" to get your "grade 12". We dont learn anything about current events, We dont learn anything about the difference's of political parties.. I passed because it moves at a snails pace and it designed for dumb people. Our school system and our education is a fucking joke compared to other places in the world. Passing school and getting your grade 12 just means you're not a retard.

giphy.gif

You really going to defend public education? Its fucking daycare. I spend half my time at school in pointless class's such as gym computer class. CAP. cooking, art. Being forced to take these bullshit class's to get "credits" to get your "grade 12". We dont learn anything about current events, We dont learn anything about the difference's of political parties.. I passed because it moves at a snails pace and it designed for dumb people. Our school system and our education is a fucking joke compared to other places in the world. Passing school and getting your grade 12 just means you're not a retard.

lol. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

WOAH! 

YOU CAN DROP THE F BOMB AFTER THIS CDC UPDATE? 

Saying school isn't for everyone is damn near the same as saying Education isn't for everyone, and that is pure bull$&!#. You passed because of ideas like this thread is promoting; the lowering of the grade scale, instead of trying to actually educate you, they just lowered things until your half assed approach was enough for you to scrape by so they could pump another under-educated, non-critical thinking citizen into the workforce under prepared for what society will actually throw at you.

You never know. As unlikely as it is, he/she could just be one of those people who can teach themselves and don't need to put in much (or really any) effort at all to do well. 

Wait... You can curse now?

Apparently.  As for the topic, I think it's crap!

I already deal with young people who were part of this type of stem where everyone is a winner and no one fails.  They are the worst kind of workers.  They figure showing up everyday is enough to get a raise. It's brutal!

Jim Jefferies has a bit on this, but I can't really post it here. You can always look up "Jim Jefferies Call it a day America."

You really going to defend public education? Its &^@#ing daycare. I spend half my time at school in pointless class's such as gym computer class. CAP. cooking, art. Being forced to take these bull$&!# class's to get "credits" to get your "grade 12". We dont learn anything about current events, We dont learn anything about the difference's of political parties.. I passed because it moves at a snails pace and it designed for dumb people. Our school system and our education is a &^@#ing joke compared to other places in the world. Passing school and getting your grade 12 just means you're not a retard.

oh my God!  This is beautiful.  Thank you.  are you sure about the retard exclusion.  It sounds like you passed:P

Apparently.  As for the topic, I think it's crap!

I already deal with young people who were part of this type of stem where everyone is a winner and no one fails.  They are the worst kind of workers.  They figure showing up everyday is enough to get a raise. It's brutal!

Jim Jefferies has a bit on this, but I can't really post it here. You can always look up "Jim Jefferies Call it a day America."

I worked with a guy in his 30s who was like that. Back when everyone was confused about Mulcair wanting to have a wage raise to $15/hr, this guy who barely did anything thought his work was worth a full $15 (would have been $16 because of nights). It just pissed everyone off.

He also thought prices wouldn't go up and people wouldn't lose their jobs, but that's another story. 

Kids are not employees and shouldn't be treated the same, especially in elementary. 

We're talking about high school here though. You're right that we should go easier on younger kids, but we already do that, even under the traditional grading system.

Typical, blame teachers instead of parents for not instilling the drive to succeed in their own children. 

Guess what, it's the administrators and district superintendants who make up the policies and the parents who are complicit - but hey, why not blame the teachers instead of the people who are really responsible. 

You're partly right, I should have mentioned the parents.  In reality it's both, but teachers play a huge part, when they are the ones teaching the material and they see the kids 6 hours a day.

Archived