The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NBA Discussion

BoKnows

11 minutes ago, Mj2345 said:

Fred Vanvleet signs with Rockets 3 years $130 million

I hadn't watched the NBA in years until I started watching again during this past season's playoffs so I'm pretty much unfamiliar with all the current NBA stars.

But if this Vanvleet person is getting paid over $40 million a year I'm guessing he's a pretty good player?

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

I hadn't watched the NBA in years until I started watching again during this past season's playoffs so I'm pretty much unfamiliar with all the current NBA stars.

But if this Vanvleet person is getting paid over $40 million a year I'm guessing he's a pretty good player?

I mean, he’s “good”, but he’s not 40m/yr good.

Just to put it into perspective, he’s making more money than Anthony Davis, Devin Booker, Trea Young, Jayson Tatum, Luka Doncic, Kyrie Irving, and a lot more better players. Of course some of these guys, are only coming off their entry level contracts.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, shiznak said:

I mean, he’s “good”, but he’s not 40m/yr good.

Just to put it into perspective, he’s making more money than Anthony Davis, Devin Booker, Trea Young, Jayson Tatum, Luka Doncic, Kyrie Irving, and a lot more better players. Of course some of these guys, are only coming off their entry level contracts.

FVV got that huge contract partly so the Rockets could reach the cap floor: https://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/cap/. They were about $40 million below the floor before he signed, which is almost exactly the AAV on his new deal.

There's very little chance Fred would have gotten that kind of money without a team desperate to add salary. I certainly didn't want him back with the Raptors at that price.

14 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

He has quite the story, went undrafted, started in the g league with the Raptors 905…grinded his way up, won a championship in ‘19 and now a max contract

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mj2345 said:

Damian Lillard has requested a trade out of Portland

Just saw an article that said Miami is his preferred destination, but that San Antonio is another possibility.

So here's the question:

If a hypothetical deal is made with the Blazers that has the Spurs parting with picks and prospects, does a Lillard - Wembanyama combo put the Spurs immediately back in the playoff picture?

7 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

FVV got that huge contract partly so the Rockets could reach the cap floor: https://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/cap/. They were about $40 million below the floor before he signed, which is almost exactly the AAV on his new deal.

There's very little chance Fred would have gotten that kind of money without a team desperate to add salary. I certainly didn't want him back with the Raptors at that price.

I checked out the link you included and saw this:

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Text

Am I reading this correctly?  Does Houston have 34.91% of their cap tied up in this one player?

If so, isn't that insane?  Or is this common for NBA teams?

Also, if they simply wanted to met the cap floor, why wouldn't they pay the player, say 30 million and sign another player for 10?  Shelling out all that money on one player simply to quickly meet the floor sounds like very dubious cap management to me.

Just read an article that suggested Fred and Pascal had become frustrated with Scotty and some of the other young guys on the Raptors, creating a schism in the locker room that neither Nurse or Ujiri could bridge.

FVV is a Rocket and now there is talk about the Raps exploring trades for Siakam. Word is, Atlanta has been kicking the tires....

Not sure what the Hawks are offering, but it feels like a player of Pascal's caliber should fetch a good return of prospects and/or picks. (and maybe a veteran shooter, if they need to make the dollars work)

I think it's probably time to pull the trigger. This team isn't contending next season, with or without Pascal.

• Upvote 2

On 7/1/2023 at 2:23 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

Just saw an article that said Miami is his preferred destination, but that San Antonio is another possibility.

So here's the question:

If a hypothetical deal is made with the Blazers that has the Spurs parting with picks and prospects, does a Lillard - Wembanyama combo put the Spurs immediately back in the playoff picture?

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/272400/Damian-Lillards-Agent-Warning-Teams-Beyond-Heat-Theyd-Be-Trading-For-Unhappy-Player

Aaron Goodwin, agent for Damian Lillard, has called prospective trade partners with a "warning against trading for his client," sources tell ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Lillard strongly prefers a trade to the Miami Heat.

"Goodwin is telling organizations outside of Miami that trading for Lillard is trading for an unhappy player," writes Wojnarowski.

The Portland Trail Blazers are attempting to broaden the trade market for Lillard beyond the Heat. Other teams interested in trading for Lillard include the Philadelphia 76ers and Los Angeles Clippers.

Lillard is owed $216 million over the next four seasons on his contract.

Edited by Mj2345

31 minutes ago, Mj2345 said:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/272400/Damian-Lillards-Agent-Warning-Teams-Beyond-Heat-Theyd-Be-Trading-For-Unhappy-Player

Aaron Goodwin, agent for Damian Lillard, has called prospective trade partners with a "warning against trading for his client," sources tell ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Lillard strongly prefers a trade to the Miami Heat.

"Goodwin is telling organizations outside of Miami that trading for Lillard is trading for an unhappy player," writes Wojnarowski.

The Portland Trail Blazers are attempting to broaden the trade market for Lillard beyond the Heat. Other teams interested in trading for Lillard include the Philadelphia 76ers and Los Angeles Clippers.

Lillard is owed $216 million over the next four seasons on his contract.

It always baffles me when I see things like this....

I get that a veteran player wants to pick where he ends up, but by going public, he's completely tied the Blazers' hands. It seems like the smart move would have been to put DL on the open market to see what kind of offers there were and then circle back to the Heat to see if they would match.

Now Miami knows they're in the catbird seat and can go ahead and lowball Portland.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Mj2345 said:

Vegas Summer League starts Today, I think Wemby is playing tonight on TSN, I may check it out but I’m not huge into Summer League

WTH???

Wembanyama didn't get a triple double!

And he didn't leap over the backboard!

And he didn't walk on water!

The guy's a bust!

• Haha 2

The NBA officially unveiled the rules and format for its newly formed In-Season Tournament on Saturday.

"New traditions take time. But, all throughout sports, we are seeing new innovations, and now is the time for this NBA in-season tournament," said Adam Silver while presenting the new format.

The group play portion of the tournament will run from November 3-28, with Tuesday and Friday games counting towards the standings (there will be no games on Election Night on November 7). 

The winner of each group, along with the highest-finishing team that didn't win a group, will advance to the knockout rounds. 

The quarterfinals will take place on December 4 and 5, with the semifinals taking place on December 7. The championship game will take place on Saturday, December 9. East and West teams will not play each other until the title game. 

The winner will then take home the NBA Cup, with players from the winning team receiving $500,000 each. 

The official groups for the tournament are below:

Group 1: Philadelphia 76ers, Cleveland Cavaliers, Atlanta Hawks, Indiana Pacers, Detroit Pistons

Group 2: Milwaukee Bucks, New York Knicks, Miami Heat, Washington Wizards, Charlotte Hornets

Group 3: Boston Celtics, Brooklyn Nets, Toronto Raptors, Chicago Bulls, Orlando Magic

Group 4: Memphis Grizzlies, Phoenix Suns, Los Angeles Lakers, Utah Jazz, Portland Trail Blazers

Group 5: Denver Nuggets, LA Clippers, New Orleans Pelicans, Dallas Mavericks, Houston Rockets

Group 6: Sacramento Kings, Golden State Warriors, Minnesota Timberwolves, Oklahoma City Thunder, San Antonio Spurs

• Thanks 1