The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NBA Discussion

BoKnows

I'm cautiously optimistic about the next round (and beyond) but there's one huge factor that worries me...

Canada has already qualified for the Paris Olympics....as has the US, Japan, Australia and South Sudan. (and of course, the host country, France)

But qualification for European countries is still up in the air. With Slovenia, Lithuania, Germany, Serbia, Italy and Latvia all still alive and only 2 spots in Paris available those six teams are going to be playing desperate basketball.....and USA and Canada are in their way....

Bottom line: I don't think Canada can afford another mediocre performance. Start strong....finish strong....

One caveat to the above: There is another avenue of qualification for teams that fail to do so in this tournament. There are four qualifying tournaments taking place next summer, with the winners earning an Olympic berth....but those things are a crapshoot. I doubt any of the teams in this tournament are banking on a "second chance" qualification.

57 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Happy that the qualified for the Olympics next year.  If healthy, I don't see any Canadian NBA player saying no.  

Evidently Canada Basketball asked players to make a three-year committment to the national team for this Olympic qualifying cycle starting last year, so it's possible they turn down anyone who decided to skip out, which includes Wiggins. Murray was gonna play at this World Cup before dropping out due to fatigue, so I think he's safe to pencil in next year.

They could grant a few players exceptions to join the roster, mind you. There are others besides Wiggins that would be useful additions (Sharpe, Mathurin, Clarke, Boucher etc.)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm cautiously optimistic about the next round (and beyond) but there's one huge factor that worries me...

Canada has already qualified for the Paris Olympics....as has the US, Japan, Australia and South Sudan. (and of course, the host country, France)

But qualification for European countries is still up in the air. With Slovenia, Lithuania, Germany, Serbia, Italy and Latvia all still alive and only 2 spots in Paris available those six teams are going to be playing desperate basketball.....and USA and Canada are in their way....

Bottom line: I don't think Canada can afford another mediocre performance. Start strong....finish strong....

One caveat to the above: There is another avenue of qualification for teams that fail to do so in this tournament. There are four qualifying tournaments taking place next summer, with the winners earning an Olympic berth....but those things are a crapshoot. I doubt any of the teams in this tournament are banking on a "second chance" qualification.

I think that Slovenia is the easiest opponent in the next round. Guys need to slow down Luka and  I like our chances (knock on wood 3 times ).

• Cheers 2

Canada will play Serbia in the semi-finals of the FIBA World Cup, after a 100-89 victory over Slovenia:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nba/2023-fiba-world-cup-canada-beats-slovenia-to-reach-semifinals-as-doncic-gets-ejected/ar-AA1gkFSI?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=c1381cd5ec5c4e0eaede958f5ab2f805&ei=14

Canada's impressive run at the 2023 FIBA World Cup continued on Wednesday with a 100-89 win over Luka Doncic and Slovenia.

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander led the way for Canada with 31 points, while RJ Barrett added 24 in the win. 

Doncic paced Slovenia with 26 points before being ejected for his second technical foul with 6:37 remaining in the fourth quarter.

The game was tied at halftime before the Canadians seized control with a strong third quarter, outscoring their opponent 30-21 in the frame.

Canada will play Serbia in the semifinals on Friday. Germany and the United States meet on the other side of the bracket.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Great game by our team. Luca is a very talented offensive player, but he is very  lazy on the defensive side of the ball and he needs to work hard on his conditioning.

Now Canada facing the best team of the World Cup, in my opinion. My bold prediction- whoever wins this semifinal- will win the final. 

56 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

Great game by our team. Luca is a very talented offensive player, but he is very  lazy on the defensive side of the ball and he needs to work hard on his conditioning.

Now Canada facing the best team of the World Cup, in my opinion. My bold prediction- whoever wins this semifinal- will win the final. 

I didn't see the game live, but I saw the replay of Luka getting his second T and I have to say, it was a pretty dumb thing to do for a player of his caliber...

From the angle I saw, he jumped into Dort, expecting to get the call. Olynyk might have gotten him on the arm, but it was a borderline call either way. Bottom line is that Luka was already on a technical and should have known better. It's like a soccer player yelling at the ref a few minutes after being shown a yellow.

56 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I didn't see the game live, but I saw the replay of Luka getting his second T and I have to say, it was a pretty dumb thing to do for a player of his caliber...

From the angle I saw, he jumped into Dort, expecting to get the call. Olynyk might have gotten him on the arm, but it was a borderline call either way. Bottom line is that Luka was already on a technical and should have known better. It's like a soccer player yelling at the ref a few minutes after being shown a yellow.

It  is all the direct result of fatigue, he needs to hire the best condition coach available and work hard on endurance. I would say, that endurance is the main advantage of this version of Canada Team. Games against Latvia, France, now Slovenia were won in the second halves of the 3rd q, when fatigue became a factor

• Cheers 2

Semi finals Friday:

Canada vs Serbia at 1:45 AM

USA vs Germany at 5:40 AM

3rd place game and Final on SUNDAY

3rd place game at 1:30 AM

FINAL at 5:40 AM

Based on how things went for us in this tourney, the Olympic tourney is going to be must see TV.

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

@Silent Man What do you think of Germany's chances against the Americans?

I see they were a missed three pointer away from losing to Latvia, but they still managed the W despite Schroeder being colder than Murmansk....

Germans had the easiest path imaginable  to the semifinal. Having sad that , nobody score much against them, I think Australia managed to score over 80 points, that's all. So , defensive game is a plus for them, but I don't think it will be enough for them to stop USA, who seems to take very seriously that defeat from Lithuania. So , 95% for USA.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

@Silent Man What do you think of Germany's chances against the Americans?

I see they were a missed three pointer away from losing to Latvia, but they still managed the W despite Schroeder being colder than Murmansk....

that's an excellent analogy.::D He was 0/9 in the first half and had a terrible day. I really do believe that Germany has a decent chance to win the game against the United States, because this German team has a great mentality, he necessary depth for such a tournament and of course an outstanding coach in Herbert. Guys like Schröder or Franz Wagner are both NBA players and have the necessary experience when it comes to crunch time to make plays and get points. They need to bring their A-Game to beat the United States, tough.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

that's an excellent analogy.::D He was 0/9 in the first half and had a terrible day. I really do believe that Germany has a decent chance to win the game against the United States, because this German team has a great mentality, he necessary depth for such a tournament and of course an outstanding coach in Herbert. Guys like Schröder or Franz Wagner are both NBA players and have the necessary experience when it comes to crunch time to make plays and get points. They need to bring their A-Game to beat the United States, tough.

The good news for Germany is that no matter what happens against the US, they have qualified for the Paris Olympics. (as has Serbia)

Those "play-in" tournaments that will round out the Olympic field are going to feature some real dog fights. The likes of Spain, Lithuania, Slovenia, Latvia, Greece, Montenegro and Italy are all currently on the outside looking in....

• Upvote 2

On 9/6/2023 at 8:55 PM, Wolfgang Durst said:

Germany wins it against the United States with 113-111.  I knew from the beginning that the German  Team had a decent chance to win this game. Headcoach Herbert is truly a mastermind and the team has proven that it can execute a gameplan flawlessly. Key was the winning mentality and the pure determination to win it against the mighty team USA.