The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Connor McDavid Injured

NHL'er

All things equal I say Larkin would win it.

Age has to be considered. What Larkin is doing is much more impressive.

If we're going to use other outside factors other than performance in their rookie years, Panarin came over from Russia, didn't speak a word of English, and has had to adjust to North American ice....something he's never played on before, whereas Larkin has grown up playing on NHL ice. Not that Larkin is bad, I'm just saying there are other circumstances to consider on Panarin's side of things as well.

If we're going to use other outside factors other than performance in their rookie years, Panarin came over from Russia, didn't speak a word of English, and has had to adjust to North American ice....something he's never played on before, whereas Larkin has grown up playing on NHL ice. Not that Larkin is bad, I'm just saying there are other circumstances to consider on Panarin's side of things as well.

Panarin is 5 years older. He played professional hockey in the second best league in the world for 6 years before coming to the NHL.

Adjusting to North American ice and a language barrier is a minimal factor when comparing a 24 year old to a 19 year old coming from 1 season of college hockey.

But at ~5 years older he should be expected to be able to do that with more overall experience playing hockey. Not saying one or the other is definitively better, but the 24 year old should always play better hockey than the 19 year old. If they are at par, then it's more impressive for the teen to be at that level.

This is the risk you take putting 18 year olds into the lineup.

Sure they may be ready skill wise, but they're rarely ready physically.

I think a 24 yr old who weighs 220 lbs would have been hurt on that play, watch the replay, its not due to being physically 'ready' (which McDavid is btw). It was a bad trip near the boards, 2 200lb players on top of him and hitting the boards with his shoulders at full speed.

Sorry but even Todd Bertuzzi would be hurt on that

Linden v Brian Leetch same thing...Linden should have won the Calder, Leetch had 3 years in college over him....but ...didn't matter. If age and experience mattered Linden would have won regardless of the fact that Leetch had 11 more points (and an amazing season, don't mean to take anything away from him). But as a rookie on a crap team, Linden had 30 goals...

Linden v Brian Leetch same thing...Linden should have won the Calder, Leetch had 4 years in college over him....but ...didn't matter. If age and experience mattered Linden would have won regardless of the fact that Leetch had 11 more points (and an amazing season, don't mean to take anything away from him). But as a rookie on a crap team, Linden had 30 goals...

Defensemen vs forwards is a different story though. A young D-man playing top pair minutes and putting up that many points has a little bit more weight to it IMO. 

It's alot easier for a forward to hide from mistakes as a rookie. Not a D-man.

Dylan Larkin's chance at the Calder may have just improved.

I think Larkin is a safe bbet for 4th runner up for the Calder if mcdavid is injured... 

The top 3 should be Jared mccann, Ben Hutton, and Jake Virtanen. In no Particular order =) 

source?

seriously?

Do you follow hockey outside Vancouver?

Anyhow this will certainly shorten his season considerably. The Oilers offense has been good, Hall, Rnh, Mcjesus and Yakupov all are putting up very good numbers so far.

I guess the one bright spot for the Oilers is Leon is absolutely ripping it up.

Defensemen vs forwards is a different story though. A young D-man playing top pair minutes and putting up that many points has a little bit more weight to it IMO. 

It's alot easier for a forward to hide from mistakes as a rookie. Not a D-man.

I'm just saying, impact to his team, the fact Linden had NOTHING around him, and I actually had season tickets that year. He was deserving of the Calder, how many rookies get 30 goals with nothing around them?

The point I was responding to was also (not taking anything away from Leetch who is a Hall of Famer for reason), that the age difference matters on the ice but not in the voting process (in regards to another post). An 18 yr old scoring 30 goals and 59 pts as a center vs a 22 yr old Dman scoring 71 (even though amazing, those 3 years make a difference in terms of preparation. Especially when playing vs men in US college over that period)

There is no doubt being older and more experienced helps on the ice (its exactly the point you made earlier on being physically ready as well), my point was simply it makes no difference in the voting apparently, and the Linden/Leetch point was an example.

Linden v Brian Leetch same thing...Linden should have won the Calder, Leetch had 3 years in college over him....but ...didn't matter. If age and experience mattered Linden would have won regardless of the fact that Leetch had 11 more points (and an amazing season, don't mean to take anything away from him). But as a rookie on a crap team, Linden had 30 goals...

If I'm not mistaken, Leetch was 20 and put up almost 70 points as a rookie Dman. That's tough to stand up to. 

Archived