The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver vs Toronto, 4:00pm

Odd.

Whether he plays or not, tonight's gonna be a good night for Hunter Shinkaruk. FORT NUCKS:

What a day

“How do I get to the ice,” Hunter Shinkaruk asked an usher outside the Canucks dressing room at Air Canada Centre.

“Through that door and to the right,” answered Mike, the elderly gentlemen.

As Shinkaruk walked the tunnel opened up to reveal the home of the Maple Leafs, I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas began playing.

“Tonight’s definitely gonna be a good night,” grinned Shinkaruk.

The 22-year-old forward woke up in Utica, New York, this morning to his cell phone ringing. It was Comets head coach Travis Green on the other end and he delivered the news Shinkaruk has been waiting to hear: you’re been called up to the Canucks.

“It was 9 a.m. when he called,” said Shinkaruk, “and he told me my flight was at 11 a.m. It takes an hour to get to the airport in Syracuse, and I still had to pack and get my gear. I still don’t know how I made it.”

He did and when he arrived at the Canucks hotel in Toronto at 1 p.m., Jake Virtanen rushed out of the lobby to greet him. The two hugged before Shinkaruk was even out of the cab; these are exciting times for the youngsters.

Shinkaruk described his day as a whirlwind, yet he somehow managed to get in a 90-minute nap this afternoon. How? He’s not sure, but he did.

He’s not sure if he’s in the line-up either. Shinkaruk, who has never been recalled by the Canucks, will at least take warm-up, that much he knows. And that’s enough for his parents to pick up everything and head to Toronto from Calgary. They caught an early afternoon flight and will be here to see their son take a twirl pre-game.

“It’s funny how quickly this has all happened,” laughed Shinkaruk, two-hours before puck drop Saturday night.

No one is laughing about the call-up, however.

Shinkaruk, who was selected by the Canucks 24th overall in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, has 10 goals and 13 points in 12 games with Utica this season, including a goal in a 6-3 loss in Springfield less than 24 hours ago. Through November 13th, the left-winger’s 10 goals are tied for the AHL lead.

He credits his stellar play with more ice time, more opportunity and more responsibility; Shinkaruk has been a mainstay on the power play and has rewarded the Comets with five power play goals.

If he gets into the line-up Saturday remains to be seen, but at the very least, he’s earned his turn in the spotlight.

That seems to be a familiar story of late for Vancouver’s young guns.

Derek (@NoJoryous)

I will NEVER be able to be around my Father again should we lose...he hates the Leafs (mostly their fans and the media).  It will be unbearably painful and he will not let it go for months.  He will probaby catch the flu if we lose.

I am still embarrassed (but slightly amused) at one of his fondest memories:  he was with my son when they found a Maple Leafs hat at a camp site.  With tongs (they dare not touch it), they placed it on a wooden stake and burned it in a celebratory style.  My Dad sat on the wooden bench as he allowed my son to light it and they triumphantly raised their arms and cheered as it was set ablaze.  Yes, I come from a long line of rednecks.

#MustWin

I approve.

because I would totally be involved in something like this.

So guys, I have tickets to tonight's game here in Toronto!  Born and raised Torontontian, but I've been a Canucks fan for over 20 years!  And get this... it's my FIRST time seeing a Canucks game!!!  (not many chances when they come here only once a year)

So I have a question.  While I'm at the game tonight, is there way that I can listen to a live radio broadcast so that I can follow along on some of the analysis?  I figured listening to a feed online won't work because there will be a lag.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Enjoy yourself KC..Cheer on our west coasters to victory!

I will NEVER be able to be around my Father again should we lose...he hates the Leafs (mostly their fans and the media).  It will be unbearably painful and he will not let it go for months.  He will probaby catch the flu if we lose.

I am still embarrassed (but slightly amused) at one of his fondest memories:  he was with my son when they found a Maple Leafs hat at a camp site.  With tongs (they dare not touch it), they placed it on a wooden stake and burned it in a celebratory style.  My Dad sat on the wooden bench as he allowed my son to light it and they triumphantly raised their arms and cheered as it was set ablaze.  Yes, I come from a long line of rednecks.

#MustWin

Holy cow; this sounds like my father in law?

The West Australian equivalent is that Melborne is the centre of the Universe. And its Aussie Rules AFL teams are dog crap. He has not jumped the plane over from Perth in 20 years. "Cant stand em pieces o' $&!#e! Frackin Victorians!"

Its so bad w have lived here now for 11 months and he still has not come. By contrast he used to visit us in once a year in Vancouver. Even made it to Edmonton and Winnipeg.

Two years ago I bought him a Collingwood Magpies (he barracks for the West Coast Eagles) floor mat for Christmas. The concept was his guests could stomp on it every time they walked in? It was in the bin covered in kitty litter the moment I tried to slip off to the beer fridge... :lol:

Archived