Canucks Community

[Proposal] Rebuild

To Arz Sutter,Sbisa & 2nd rd 2017 

To Van Hanzal & Elliott 

To Nyr Higgins 

To Van 3rd rd 2016

To Nsh Vrbata & Hamhuis 

To Van Granberg,1st & 5th rd 2016 

To Ana Miller & McCann ( Van retains 1 mil of miller's contract) 

To Van Andersen  

This gives us Hanzal a big centre at 6'6 ,Elliott & Granberg both right hand d-men and Andersen a 6'4 goalie this gives a #1 Goalie  

Hanzal has 1yr left after this at 3.5 mil 

This free's up around 18 mil in cap space

In the off-season 

Sign/Re-sign

Lucic 5yr/33.5 mil 6.7 per 

Byfuglien 3yr/20.1 mil 6.7 per

Andersen 3yr/12 mil 4 per

Granberg 3yr/2.7 mil 900k per

Elliott 2yr/1.5 mil 750k per

This gives us big 1st line for size

Lineup

Lucic/Hanzal/Jensen 6'3/6'6/6'3 

Sedan/Sedin/Hansen 

Baertschi/Horvat/?

Kenins/?/Dorsett

Edler/Tanev

Hutton/Byfuglien

?/Granberg

Elliott

Andersen 

Markstrom 

i had to read this five times and still cant take it in. jensen on our first line? im still holding out hope for him but man....this one is hard to understand and have an opinion. lol. if we got big buff and milan in the off season i would say that the rebuild would be put on hold but this has about as good chance of happening as kaitlyn jenner posing for playboy.

19 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

There is no such thing as REBUILD ON THE FLY, it is in fact a rebuild.  PR stunt is all those words are.  They have just as many rookies in their lineup as those in the past and present that are rebuilding so don't be fooled.  The summit meeting should have been a good indicator for all.  You cant lose 50 even strength goals from vets like kassian, bonino, and mathias and not replace them and expect to make the playoffs, to much parity for that.   I'm sure next summit meeting the season ticket holders are going to be a little shy.   ONCE BITTEN YA KNOW.

yes but this next one can be a little more positive and realistic. its almost in full swing. do the real fans care about the failed rebuild on the fly? its still up in the air . we can still bring in these guys with a positive environment,it just may be harder than expected. and if we pull off a decent season that could mean great things for our young guys

1 hour ago, chilliwiggins said:

well I don't think this PR group that's currently running the show is qualified to transition this team.    Once a qualified G.M. comes available they should grab him.  Guys like Tallon, or san joses gm.  or st louises.   bennings not our guy.

yeah Doug Wilson and Doug Armstrong are exactly the  guys we want. The architects of two teams totally notorious for choking in the playoffs. You must be trolling.

2 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

There is no such thing as REBUILD ON THE FLY, it is in fact a rebuild.  PR stunt is all those words are.  They have just as many rookies in their lineup as those in the past and present that are rebuilding so don't be fooled.  The summit meeting should have been a good indicator for all.  You cant lose 50 even strength goals from vets like kassian, bonino, and mathias and not replace them and expect to make the playoffs, to much parity for that.   I'm sure next summit meeting the season ticket holders are going to be a little shy.   ONCE BITTEN YA KNOW.

Disagreeing with this post, I decided to take a quick look at franchise records to see if there was one that had completely rebuilt while not being terrible.

I only ended up getting as far as the first team Ilooked at (first alphabetically), being Anaheim.

In 2002-3, the Ducks lost in the Stanley Cup final.  The following year they missed the playoffs.

In 2013-14 the Ducks led the west with 116 pts.  In 2014-15 they had 109 pts, won their division and lost the conference finals to the eventual cup winners in 7 games.

In between they never had a pts % worse than .463.  There were 3 seasons in which they missed the playoffs including 2003-4.  They won one SC Final in that time.

There were precisely ZERO players on the 2003-4 roster that were also on the 2013-14 roster.  The team was completely rebuilt in that time, generally being good and never being really awful.

The next team on the alphabetical list is Arizona and I skipped them, thinking they've had some horrible years as the Coyotes and as the Jets.  Next was Boston.

In 2003-4 Boston had a pretty good team, getting 104 pts on the season, 1st in the NHL northeast.  The following season (which followed the strike season) they dropped to a .451 pts % (74 pts.)  In 2010-11 we all remember who won the Stanley Cup final.

There was precisely one player from the 2003-4 roster still with the Bruins 7 years later when they won the Cup-Bergeron, an 18 year old rookie in 2003-4.  In between, their worse season was 2005-6 (74 pts, .451 pts%, 5th worst in the league), there were only 2 seasons in which they failed to make the playoffs (consecutively, 2005-6 and 2006-7) and they never tanked in the sense of trying to be a bad team.  They almost completely changed their team in 7 years while trying to win-and they were below .500 for only two seasons in that span.

These teams weren't always winning teams, but mostly they were and they rebuilt without tanking in the sense of deliberately being bad.

I didn't bother continuing through the rest of the teams in the league.

I don't see the problem with having a goal of making the playoffs while rebuilding.  They may not always succeed, as the Ducks and Bruins didn't always succeed, but as a goal it seems quite reasonable to me.

Of course, how well management implements its plan will determine their level of success, but that is another matter entirely than whether the plan makes sense or whether there is any such thing, as chilliwiggins put it.   I think it both exists and makes sense as a goal.

Further, I think the plan is a well-chosen one for this market and support the management in its choice of plan.

That doesn't mean I support all of the individual moves made to implement the plan, but that is a different topic.

9 hours ago, devils999 said:

To Arz Sutter,Sbisa & 2nd rd 2017 

To Van Hanzal & Elliott 

To Nyr Higgins 

To Van 3rd rd 2016

To Nsh Vrbata & Hamhuis 

To Van Granberg,1st & 5th rd 2016 

To Ana Miller & McCann ( Van retains 1 mil of miller's contract) 

To Van Andersen  

This gives us Hanzal a big centre at 6'6 ,Elliott & Granberg both right hand d-men and Andersen a 6'4 goalie this gives a #1 Goalie  

Hanzal has 1yr left after this at 3.5 mil 

This free's up around 18 mil in cap space

In the off-season 

Sign/Re-sign

Lucic 5yr/33.5 mil 6.7 per 

Byfuglien 3yr/20.1 mil 6.7 per

Andersen 3yr/12 mil 4 per

Granberg 3yr/2.7 mil 900k per

Elliott 2yr/1.5 mil 750k per

This gives us big 1st line for size

Lineup

Lucic/Hanzal/Jensen 6'3/6'6/6'3