The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yannick Weber Frustration Thread

hockeydude474

3 hours ago, Visp said:

wow... seriously. Weber is not as bad as you all make out, I am actually a fan of his though agree that now that his scoring has dried up, that the best option for team and player would be to not re-sign for next season. Hamhuis has been terrible, Bartkowski has been terrible, Edler on occasion has been absolutely terrible, no need for a "frustration thread" on Weber as you could make one on nearly every player. Let me remind you he was the top goal scoring D-man last season, that's why we re-signed him and 1.5 mill is not a huge gamble.

I wonder if the team has considered utilizing him in a role where his strength (big shot) could be made useful and his weakness (lack of defensive ability) could be sheltered, by dressing him as a forward during even strength. 

Although the wing spots are currently occupied (Danny, Hansen, Sven, Radim, Etem*, Jake*, Prust, Dorsett), say if Jake can't prove that he's ready and management decides to send him down for seasoning (however unlikely), I wouldn't mind seeing Yannick get a shot on the 3rd line right side.  Thing is, Prust, Cracknell and Dorsett have played decently well together and they are all similar players in that they play hard-nosed hockey, not something that Yannick provides.  The wingers in the top-6 are gelling so I think the 3rd line would have a spot for him if Jake doesn't keep his.

If all else fails (or Etem - McCann/ Vey - Virtanen clicks as a line) then I wouldn't be opposed to cutting Yannick loose also.       

4 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

I wonder if the team has considered utilizing him in a role where his strength (big shot) could be made useful and his weakness (lack of defensive ability) could be sheltered, by dressing him as a forward during even strength. 

Although the wing spots are currently occupied (Danny, Hansen, Sven, Radim, Etem*, Jake*, Prust, Dorsett), say if Jake can't prove that he's ready and management decides to send him down for seasoning (however unlikely), I wouldn't mind seeing Yannick get a shot on the 3rd line right side.  Thing is, Prust, Cracknell and Dorsett have played decently well together and they are all similar players in that they play hard-nosed hockey, not something that Yannick provides.  The wingers in the top-6 are gelling so I think the 3rd line would have a spot for him if Jake doesn't keep his.

If all else fails (or Etem - McCann/ Vey - Virtanen clicks as a line) then I wouldn't be opposed to cutting Yannick loose also.       

Under Torts, Weber had about 1/2 of his 49 games as a right winger on the 4th line, and as QB on the 2nd PP unit

I don't really like to get nasty about a particular player, everyone has bad nights, but it is getting to the point when I have to ask... what will it take to have Weber benched?

Once again he made a bone-headed play in the 3rd period by taking the puck deep into Florida's end, and then getting caught.

Florida was 3 on 1... that should have been the game sealer for them... but luckily Markstrom bailed us out.

Is it not time to give Pedan a chance to learn?

Weber is just not learning from his mistakes... I start to squirm every time he handles the puck... almost all of his decisions are bad ones...  bad passes, turning the wrong way in the D zone, waiting too long to move the puck in the D zone... when he rushes the puck, he almost always gets caught... even when he gets a chance, he shoots wide.

There are very few positive upsides to his game.  Don't know if the team is trying to trade him and show casing him, but it is not working.

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I don't really like to get nasty about a particular player, everyone has bad nights, but it is getting to the point when I have to ask... what will it take to have Weber benched?

Once again he made a bone-headed play in the 3rd period by taking the puck deep into Florida's end, and then getting caught.

Florida was 3 on 1... that should have been the game sealer for them... but luckily Markstrom bailed us out.

Is it not time to give Pedan a chance to learn?

Weber is just not learning from his mistakes... I start to squirm every time he handles the puck... almost all of his decisions are bad ones...  bad passes, turning the wrong way in the D zone, waiting too long to move the puck in the D zone... when he rushes the puck, he almost always gets caught... even when he gets a chance, he shoots wide.

There are very few positive upsides to his game.  Don't know if the team is trying to trade him and show casing him, but it is not working.

The most boneheaded part about that play was that he is the one who initiated the contact with the Florida player. Like, he skated forward, bumped into the Florida player on purpose whilst throwing the puck to the middle of the ice so that he could get trapped and turn the puck over at the same time. 

It's like Weber mastered the old Chinese proverb, "catch two birds with one stone." Weber turned the puck over and got trapped in one move. Pure genius.

Archived