The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yannick Weber Frustration Thread

hockeydude474

10 minutes ago, LarsEller said:

That has nothing to do with the fact that he is a turnover machine and has cost us half the games we've lost in OT this year. 

Take a look at the better "stud" defensemen in the league as in their expressions, intensity, etc, They look and play like they just downed a pot of coffee. Edler, most days, looks like you just woke him up from a nap. Maybe the trainer needs to hide ammonia sticks in his helmet.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Not to mention he coughed the puck up on the ensuing faceoff and then failed to do anything to try to force a turnover along the boards after the icing.  It must be disconcerting to the rookies to see a guy who is so utterly useless in his own end continue to get undeserved ice time.  At this point it is up to Benning to solve the problem.  Either get rid of Weber to keep him out of our lineup or hire a coach with the intelligence not to use him.

Edler Tanev

Hutton Biega

Pedan Bartkowski

Sautner

Subban

Emergency Briesbrois callup

Fin

Can't possibly be any worse than dressing a defenseman who can't play defense.

Bartowski is left sided do you know he can play on the right? If it had been that easy we would have played Ballard on his wrong side, after all we were paying him $4.2M a year to sit in the press box.

15 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Bartowski is left sided do you know he can play on the right? If it had been that easy we would have played Ballard on his wrong side, after all we were paying him $4.2M a year to sit in the press box.

Pretty sure he can, at least better than Weber.

On 2015-12-14 at 2:48 AM, hockeydude474 said:
On 2015-12-14 at 2:48 AM, hockeydude474 said:

Didn't see a thread on Yannick Weber although i've seen his name bounced around in a lot of different topics. I've decided to make a thread here to combine everyones thoughts on Yannick Weber into a singular place. Lets make him into scapegoat / vent our frustration / talk about his endless defensive lapses etc. 

Weber has absolutely not one thing to give to our team other constant mistakes that give the other teams good scoring chances.  Watching him on the ice only baffles my mind why the hell Willie even plays him and how anyone cold do a better job.  Play one of our minor players for crying out, like Pedan.  I thnk Willie has done a good job, but how can any coach be this blind to see how bad a player is and keep playing him? lol. 

For the love of God can this guy just please GO AWAY!!!! I literally cringe EVERY time he is on the ice. He has now added untimely penalties to his repetoire. Honestly any warm breathing body would be an improvement and I don't even care whether he is a defenseman or not.

22 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Now that Higgins will be gone, please send Weber with him!! Weber is AHL calibre at best.... sick of this liability!  He can't defend, can't take a good shot, takes dumb penalties.... Why da hell are we still playing him ahead of Pedan???? 

This has been discussed at lenght. Why do YOU think he is playing ahead of Pedan?

3 hours ago, coastal1 said:

This has been discussed at lenght. Why do YOU think he is playing ahead of Pedan?

Nobody can explain but WD himself! Afraid of losing Weber to waivers? Still believe he got upside? I don't see how he deserves to play as a liability on the ice..

3 hours ago, coastal1 said:

It can't be explained from a hockey performance POV.  It's contracts and roster spots.  It's the business part, that's why he's playing.  

4 hours ago, coastal1 said:

I can't speak for the guy you're quoting, but at this point, there's no excuse for playing Weber.  The guy is not, and never will be, even a marginal NHLer.  I think he did, however, adequately outline why WD is making a huge mistake in playing that plug.

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It can't be explained from a hockey performance POV.  It's contracts and roster spots.  It's the business part, that's why he's playing.  

What does that mean 'contracts and roster spots'? Yes he has a contract. I doubt it says he has to be in the line up? And roster spot, yes, my question is why does he have one. Not because he is good, we know that. Is it because he is better than the alternative? It is not because WD wants to lose. It is not because WD doesn't know what it takes to win.

5 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

What does that mean 'contracts and roster spots'? Yes he has a contract. I doubt it says he has to be in the line up? And roster spot, yes, my question is why does he have one. Not because he is good, we know that. Is it because he is better than the alternative? It is not because WD wants to lose. It is not because WD doesn't know what it takes to win.

WD is not trying to lose.  His hands are tied.

wow... seriously. Weber is not as bad as you all make out, I am actually a fan of his though agree that now that his scoring has dried up, that the best option for team and player would be to not re-sign for next season. Hamhuis has been terrible, Bartkowski has been terrible, Edler on occasion has been absolutely terrible, no need for a "frustration thread" on Weber as you could make one on nearly every player. Let me remind you he was the top goal scoring D-man last season, that's why we re-signed him and 1.5 mill is not a huge gamble.

Just now, Visp said:

wow... seriously. Weber is not as bad as you all make out, I am actually a fan of his though agree that now that his scoring has dried up, that the best option for team and player would be to not re-sign for next season. Hamhuis has been terrible, Bartkowski has been terrible, Edler on occasion has been absolutely terrible, no need for a "frustration thread" on Weber as you could make one on nearly every player. Let me remind you he was the top goal scoring D-man last season, that's why we re-signed him and 1.5 mill is not a huge gamle.

He was also a huge reason we lost in the playoffs to Calgary.  The guy is absolute trash in our own end, negating any offense he could theoretically supply.  The guy had to introduce himself to Miller the first time WD decided to send him out on the PK:

Weber: "Hey, I'm not sure why the hell I'm playing, but what do you want me to do on point shots?"

Miller; "Skate to the damn bench you useless plug."

Was pretty relieved when I saw Weber headed to the dressing room with what looked like and injury last night.

But then he came back, fell over and coughed up the puck.

Hope they can package Weber in with the Higgins trade for an actual defenseman. That'd be great

IDK why people are surprised by Weber. His stats speak for themselves. He has always gotten points but still winds up scratched, demoted or traded. The fact that we got one serviceable season out of him is a miracle.

He has a monster shot but not much else. I was a little upset we kept him for more than a season but our D is a serious weak point.

We need to trade Weber & Hamhuis for assets asap. 

I am the last person to promote Sbisa but before dude got injured, he strung together 3-5 VERY good games. If he can maintain that he might just reach his top-4 ceiling.

2016/2017

Edler - Tanev

Sbisa - Biega

Hutton - Subban

Bartkowski

Archived