The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music in 2017

GLASSJAW

On 11/29/2016 at 9:56 PM, GLASSJAW said:

i definitely have to be in the mood for Bat For Lashes, but i still think its way under-appreciated

DIIV is great at times, but just way too long. i think it sorta trails towards the end, considering he is a pretty one dimensional musician. i still love his style, but not for 63 minutes

I agree with you on Is The Is Are, that album was pretty inconsistent but when it was on point it was damn good.

my cobbled together list of albums from this year:

Childish Gambino-Awaken my Love

KAYTRANADA -99.9%

J.Cole- 4 your eyez only

Royce da 5'9"- Layers

Against me!- shape shift with me

* Pusha-T - Darkest before dawn, it came out last dec. and I doubt I put it on my list but it's still great.

already an album to check out if you're into rap.

Smoke Dza & Pete Rock just released something called "Don't Smoke Rock"

it doesn't re-invent the wheel, and it isn't going to make young white people lose their minds or anything, but if you're a fan of Pete Rock's production or more traditional NY style, then it's worth checking out. the biggest strike against this would be the weak hooks that pop up from time to time. Dza doesn't have the most dynamic voice, so the regular features are great. don't steal the show, but break up the monotony. 

i thought it was a bit boring at first, but now i'm really enjoying it. but that's just me, and NY boom bap is pretty much the only type of hip hop i can even enjoy anymore

On 1/2/2017 at 0:37 AM, GLASSJAW said:

already an album to check out if you're into rap.

Smoke Dza & Pete Rock just released something called "Don't Smoke Rock"

it doesn't re-invent the wheel, and it isn't going to make young white people lose their minds or anything, but if you're a fan of Pete Rock's production or more traditional NY style, then it's worth checking out. the biggest strike against this would be the weak hooks that pop up from time to time. Dza doesn't have the most dynamic voice, so the regular features are great. don't steal the show, but break up the monotony. 

i thought it was a bit boring at first, but now i'm really enjoying it. but that's just me, and NY boom bap is pretty much the only type of hip hop i can even enjoy anymore

How do you feel about Joey Bada$$?

1 hour ago, JoesRooster said:

How do you feel about Joey Bada$$?

i like him, but i didnt love b4.da.$$ like i loved 1999. will still check out whatever he releases next. but he's definitely more in line with my preferences 

you?

(official, non-leak) release of The XX is out if anyone wants to hear

new Flaming Lips album is streaming too

new Foxygen and Half Japanese also available. can't wait to hear the latter of the two, even though they have always been hit or miss

edit: new flaming lips is excruciatingly boring

1 hour ago, GLASSJAW said:

(official, non-leak) release of The XX is out if anyone wants to hear

new Flaming Lips album is streaming too

new Foxygen and Half Japanese also available. can't wait to hear the latter of the two, even though they have always been hit or miss

edit: new flaming lips is excruciatingly boring

New The xx is great. Maybe not quite as good as their self titled but still solid. The lyrics didn't resonate with me that much but the production and instrumentation were strong. Also some really good sampling for the hooks on a few of the better songs (On Hold, Dangerous, Say Something Loving).

Was excited for the new Flaming Lips but after seeing the reviews I'm so much less inclined to check it out, lol.

Yeah I loved We are 21st Century Ambassadors from Foxygen so I'll have to listen to that too but I don't think I'll set my expectations too high. 

i've never been a big Gorillaz fan, though I do love Blur and loooooved Albarn's last solo album. I like Gorillaz singles, but never been a fan of a full album. i'm not as excited for this new stuff as others are.

also never really understood the Japandroids hype, but they're local and i'm alone at work tonight so I'll give it a listen

new Japandroids is catchy as hell, but I'm still not sure I enjoy it haha

not hearing what you guys are in the new xx (the xx? god, typing their name mid-sentence is impossible). i didn't care for it much at all after two listens

also not big on that new Arcade Fire single

Archived