The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC Earthquake Preparedness -What could happen/Being prepared. (must watch)

nux4lyfe

Thought I'd try to help out a bit, Very good video...would have put it in the 'OMG Earthquake' thread but felt it would prob get buried, and since there is a lot of good info in this video I think it should be shared...Stay safe CDC and Happy NY.

http://www.victoriabuzz.com/2015/07/watch-simulation-on-what-can-happen-if-a-9-0-earthquake-hit-bc-and-tips-to-survive-from-survivors/

3 minutes ago, Grapefruits said:

So what are the real stats?  I mean this one states basically a 33% chance in the next 50 years. I've read other reports of 10% in 50 years.  I've seen other numbers as well.

Seems to me they are just pulling numbers out of their ass.

Don't think chances have anything to do with anything..It's all about if or when it happens..could be today, tomorrow..next 50 yrs..who knows..

53 minutes ago, Grapefruits said:

So what are the real stats?  I mean this one states basically a 33% chance in the next 50 years. I've read other reports of 10% in 50 years.  I've seen other numbers as well.

Not being able to accurately and precisely tell you when an earthquake is coming is not the same as just making shart up. 

2 hours ago, Grapefruits said:

Earthquakes cannot be predicted. It's not the weather we're talking about.

We can look at  the frequency of historical earthquakes, recent tremors etc. and try to develop a rough prediction based on that, but at the end of the day it'll happen when the stress on the plates / fault builds up to the point where it has to be relieved.

2 hours ago, nux4lyfe said:

Don't think chances have anything to do with anything..It's all about if or when it happens..could be today, tomorrow..next 50 yrs..who knows..

Or 50,000 years or 5 million years......All my life Ive been hearing about how the "big one" is gonna happen anyday now and 47 years later Im still waiting. There are much better things to do with your time/money than prepare for the Mega earthquake/zombie apocalypse/collapse of civilization etc.  Otherwise rational people turn into foaming at the mouth conspiracy theorists whenever the subject is raised as if the whole thing is gonna come crashing down around us at any time. Life as we know it will continue as we know it whether you like it or not so spend your time/money dealing with that instead.

29 minutes ago, Offensive Threat said:

Or 50,000 years or 5 million years......All my life Ive been hearing about how the "big one" is gonna happen anyday now and 47 years later Im still waiting. There are much better things to do with your time/money than prepare for the Mega earthquake/zombie apocalypse/collapse of civilization etc.  Otherwise rational people turn into foaming at the mouth conspiracy theorists whenever the subject is raised as if the whole thing is gonna come crashing down around us at any time. Life as we know it will continue as we know it whether you like it or not so spend your time/money dealing with that instead.

Huh.

The other way to look at it is.... to get it done and then not worry about it anymore. But...on the other hand... I'll take the competitive advantage you're passing up.

And just because an inevitability hasn't happened in your 47 years it would extremely naive to believe that constitutes any validity to the question of whether it WILL happen in the future.

40 minutes ago, The Weasel said:

I don't care what anyone says. I'm running outside as fast as I can. There's no way I could handle sitting under a table for minutes. Plus, it's faster for me to go outside than hide under a table in my house.

I went to High School with a kid that was in the San Francisco quake of 89.  He said there was no way he could have ran without being tossed to the ground from the shaking.  Best bet would be to hide under that table.

1 hour ago, The Weasel said:

I don't care what anyone says. I'm running outside as fast as I can. There's no way I could handle sitting under a table for minutes. Plus, it's faster for me to go outside than hide under a table in my house.

You're likely safer under the table.

1 hour ago, Grapefruits said:

I went to High School with a kid that was in the San Francisco quake of 89.  He said there was no way he could have ran without being tossed to the ground from the shaking.  Best bet would be to hide under that table.

Outside is closer than my kitchen table. :P

18 minutes ago, John Tortorella said:

Guess what % of your day is spent in the kitchen

Like zero. lol.

It's also going to depend on how far away we are from the epicentre. There are plenty of people that were able to run during other major quakes that may have been a bit further away. 

edit: not telling other to run because they don't recommend that. Just for myself. I will definitely try. I legit jumped out of my bed in the last earthquake that I was in during the middle of the night (years ago).

3 hours ago, The Weasel said:

All praise to you if you manage to stand while ground is shaking.

7 hours ago, JV77 said:

And then the building collapses and crushes the table you are under...

It's possible, and that would suck, but it depends on the building.  In general, I believe there's a better chance of someone being crushed by falling debris outside than there is of having the entire building come down on top of them if they stay inside.  If this wasn't the case, wouldn't the message in the case of an earthquake be 'get the hell out'?

The only thing missing from the start of that movie was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBDSEKl_zhE

It's possible that The Weasel would be able to run outside in a large earthquake, but a very large quake could see the ground moving over a foot in any direction. For comparisons sake, to stand and balance on a surfboard in the ocean you only need to overcome 1-2 inches of movement beneath your feet.

So yeah, could be tricky unless your house is built on clay which wobbles like jello. Don't hope for that though as it would be disaster for your house.

Archived