The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

RECALL - Taylor Fedun

mll

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let this mean a Weber deal is in place. PLEASE?

You could tell Willie was pissed at him for his poor performance including costly turnovers and unnecessary icings. And yet he still puts him out there. I wonder if someone has gone over his head about Weber by forcing Willie's hand in order to salvage Weber's value who was once an asset.

Now I'd be okay with Weber being out there if we can get a guarantee that we are in tank mode and that Weber will be dealt at the deadline for anything no matter what. At this point, I'd trade Weber for Rick DiPietro's contract.

Both Sbisa and Hansen are off the IR

Left Wing Lock ‏@Left_Wing_Lock  45m45 minutes ago

Jannik Hansen: Has been activated from IR. http://www.leftwinglock.com/news #nhl #Canucks

Luca Sbisa: Has been activated from IR. http://www.leftwinglock.com/news #nhl #Canucks

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Fedun sent back down.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=798072&hootPostID=325ada346111c811528a6ecc8d191c64

So we get Weber in the press box where he belongs, his replacement plays OK and even gets a point, and then he gets sent back down after a win?  What the hell is WD smoking?

I don't get it either...Fedun plays a much more reliable game than Weber..IMO..,but I'm sure WD and JB have their reasons..?

27 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Both Sbisa and Hansen are off the IR

Jannik Hansen: Has been activated from IR. http://www.leftwinglock.com/news #nhl #Canucks

Luca Sbisa: Has been activated from IR. http://www.leftwinglock.com/news #nhl #Canucks

Weber or Bartkowski, please pick up your clipboard and proceed upstairs.

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Fedun sent back down.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=798072&hootPostID=325ada346111c811528a6ecc8d191c64

So we get Weber in the press box where he belongs, his replacement plays OK and even gets a point, and then he gets sent back down after a win?  What the hell is WD smoking?

1.  WD didn't assign Fedun to the minors.

2.  Weber and Bartkowski have both been really bad this season.  The defence core as a whole has been bad this season.  

Fedun is 27.  He has never been anything more than an injury fillin in the NHL.  He has a total of 12 NHL games, including the Hurricanes game last night.   Is there anybody out there that really thinks that Fedun was called up to be more than a short-term injury fill-in?  Is there anyone out there that really thinks his one game was intended to constitute a tryout?

It was not a tryout.  Fedun was fine.  Perhaps the Canucks liked what they saw.  But the defensive core was bad, the entire defence was bad, the Canucks got lucky that Markstrom played superhero and Bo continued his hot streak.  There's no reason to think he was so impressive that he was going to change the management's mind in one game, nor that Canuck management and coaches are so crazy as to put much emphasis on performance or scoring in a single game. 

3. Has anyone looked at how depleted the Canucks system has been?  Not long ago the Comets had a total of one available defenceman available that was signed to a Canucks' contract.

Fedun can be returned to the AHL without being placed on waivers.  Weber can't.  One of them will sit in the pressbox in Vancouver.  The other will play a key role in a still badly short-handed Utica. Why further deplete the system by risking losing another defenceman on waivers, rather than keep one of your marginal NHL'ers in the pressbox and play the other in the minors?  (Yes, either Weber or Bart might clear.  Then again, they may not.  Some thought Corrado would clear, too.  Some previously highly thought of d-men have cleared lately-but note Gormley and Rundblad have not been so impressive as to earn themselves as many NHL games as Weber had at the same ages they are now.  In Rundblad's case it's really close, in Gormley's it isn't)

4.  Like most everybody I think the Canucks' d-core is really poor.  I thought it last summer, during the preseason and at all times since.  I think it's fair to criticize JB for not providing a better set of defencemen this season.  It's even fair to question the decisions made in the preseason about who was making the team.

I don't, though, think that it makes any sense to keep treating injury callups as if they were tryouts or expect that a game or two is likely going to change the minds of management or coaches.  It can happen that somebody is impressive enough that he stays.  Biega appears to be that rare exception.  People will be a lot less frustrated, though, if they realize that when a player fills in for an injured player, he's here temporarily and isn't trying out.  It isn't like the old baseball movies with the kindly minor league manager saying "This is your big chance, Kid. I know you'll make the best of it."

It isn't their big chance.  It's really not intended to be any chance at all.

5. Imo comments like what is so and so smoking are only fair if the decision is totally illogical and unsupportable.

It isn't totally illogical nor unsupportable to keep someone with 265 NHL games who last season enjoyed reasonable success in the NHL over a player of the same age and size who has been a career minor leaguer.

16 minutes ago, tyhee said:

Fedun can be returned to the AHL without being placed on waivers.  Weber can't.  One of them will sit in the pressbox in Vancouver.  The other will play a key role in a still badly short-handed Utica. Why further deplete the system by risking losing another defenceman on waivers, rather than keep one of your marginal NHL'ers in the pressbox and play the other in the minors?  (Yes, either Weber or Bart might clear.  Then again, they may not.  Some thought Corrado would clear, too.  Some previously highly thought of d-men have cleared lately-but note Gormley and Rundblad have not been so impressive as to earn themselves as many NHL games as Weber had at the same ages they are now.  In Rundblad's case it's really close, in Gormley's it isn't) 

I'd prefer if Weber didn't clear to make sure he isn't in the lineup again.  I've seen enough to realize he'll never be able to be anything more than a giant liability in his own end.  Even if he's scoring, he's do bad defensively that he has no business playing in the NHL.

Fedun has been solid for Utica and this was a reward until Sbisa gets back.  He isn't as good a skater, and can be a little more passive than, Biega.  His athleticism is ok, but he has been held back by injuries over the years.  Wouldn't count him out of the NHL just yet.  Travis Green can get people ready for the big show, and I hope the Canucks keep him under contract.  We need him down on the farm.  

1 hour ago, hobart16 said:

Fedun has been solid for Utica and this was a reward until Sbisa gets back.  He isn't as good a skater, and can be a little more passive than, Biega.  His athleticism is ok, but he has been held back by injuries over the years.  Wouldn't count him out of the NHL just yet.  Travis Green can get people ready for the big show, and I hope the Canucks keep him under contract.  We need him down on the farm.  

This. If it wasn't for Fedun's injury, he would have been in the top 6 instead of Weaksauce Weber. I seriously hope the only reason why he was in the lineup is because they want to increase his trade value.

On January 14, 2016 at 11:37 AM, Lost_Viking said:

Good opportunity for Fedun to get back into NHL action (or least get a nice pay bonus). Makes sense to send Pedan down as he needs to play and not spend too much time in the press box.

As far as Weber vs Beiga vs Etc, generally the 7/8 defensemen aren't going to make or break your blueline. Our success lies in the health and performance of our top 4.

Trust me Weber has broken a lot 

5 hours ago, tyhee said:

1.  WD didn't assign Fedun to the minors.

2.  Weber and Bartkowski have both been really bad this season.  The defence core as a whole has been bad this season.  

Fedun is 27.  He has never been anything more than an injury fillin in the NHL.  He has a total of 12 NHL games, including the Hurricanes game last night.   Is there anybody out there that really thinks that Fedun was called up to be more than a short-term injury fill-in?  Is there anyone out there that really thinks his one game was intended to constitute a tryout?

It was not a tryout.  Fedun was fine.  Perhaps the Canucks liked what they saw.  But the defensive core was bad, the entire defence was bad, the Canucks got lucky that Markstrom played superhero and Bo continued his hot streak.  There's no reason to think he was so impressive that he was going to change the management's mind in one game, nor that Canuck management and coaches are so crazy as to put much emphasis on performance or scoring in a single game. 

3. Has anyone looked at how depleted the Canucks system has been?  Not long ago the Comets had a total of one available defenceman available that was signed to a Canucks' contract.

4.  Like most everybody I think the Canucks' d-core is really poor.  I thought it last summer, during the preseason and at all times since.  I think it's fair to criticize JB for not providing a better set of defencemen this season.  It's even fair to question the decisions made in the preseason about who was making the team.

I don't, though, think that it makes any sense to keep treating injury callups as if they were tryouts or expect that a game or two is likely going to change the minds of management or coaches.  It can happen that somebody is impressive enough that he stays.  Biega appears to be that rare exception.  People will be a lot less frustrated, though, if they realize that when a player fills in for an injured player, he's here temporarily and isn't trying out.  It isn't like the old baseball movies with the kindly minor league manager saying "This is your big chance, Kid. I know you'll make the best of it."

It isn't their big chance.  It's really not intended to be any chance at all.

5. Imo comments like what is so and so smoking are only fair if the decision is totally illogical and unsupportable.

It isn't totally illogical nor unsupportable to keep someone with 265 NHL games who last season enjoyed reasonable success in the NHL over a player of the same age and size who has been a career minor leaguer.

You took that much space to basically say we may as well stick with plumbers like Weber because odds are we won't have anyone better? 

Burnaby winter club has better defenceman we could call up so I am pretty sure we can slot a player from Utica in and make an improvement.

Archived