The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Hamhuis. What To Do.

Boddy604

39 minutes ago, Zetterbergs Beard said:

I dont know if we can spare Hammer with the injury to Edler. I mean we are going to tank anyways. mine as well try to keep and resign Hammer who stated he would take a pay cut

You're contradicting yourself. If we're going to tank, why wouldn't we trade our desirable UFAs? The whole point of 'tanking' is to transition to a younger team that will eventually be better than the team we currently have. I'm not saying we can't sign Hamhuis in the offseason but tanking = finishing near the bottom of the standings to improve our drafting position and acquiring assets for aging players, especially UFAs.

21 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

You're contradicting yourself. If we're going to tank, why wouldn't we trade our desirable UFAs? The whole point of 'tanking' is to transition to a younger team that will eventually be better than the team we currently have. I'm not saying we can't sign Hamhuis in the offseason but tanking = finishing near the bottom of the standings to improve our drafting position and acquiring assets for aging players, especially UFAs.

because they don't have the depth to lose 2 dmen......unless they get a young dman for hamhuis

1 hour ago, stawns said:

because they don't have the depth to lose 2 dmen......unless they get a young dman for hamhuis

but if they're trading hamhuis it's because they've given up on the playoffs, which means the depth is irrelevant. 

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yes , they do. Just got to bring up someone from Utica.

Pedan or Fedun is what i would do after trading Hamhuis. 

they are already bringing someone up for edler, if they bring up another player from utica, that's pretty much the death blow for the Comets playoff chances.  I'm not sure JB would be willing to do that, given how much value he places on the young guys getting playoff experience.

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

they are already bringing someone up for edler, if they bring up another player from utica, that's pretty much the death blow for the Comets playoff chances.  I'm not sure JB would be willing to do that, given how much value he places on the young guys getting playoff experience.

they don't HAVE to keep someone in the press box. 

bring up weber, put biega back in the lineup, utica is unscathed. 

16 hours ago, Boddy604 said:

Do you think he goes for it anyways? Playoffs be damned.

If we can get a prospect like Madison Bowey from the Caps, then do it and try to get Hamhuis back on a friendly contract this summer. If its just for a 2nd round pick or even the 28th or 29th 1st round pick, I think its better to keep him to mentor Hutton for the rest of the year. 

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Ya but we're talking about the tail end of a year in which we aren't going to make the playoffs. Benning has until next fall to reshape the roster. Whether that be trade deadline deals, draft deals, UFA signings...cap space and roster openings are exactly what we need. Plus, just because we trade Hammer doesn't mean we can't sign him July 1st. All we're talking about here is the supposed hole in our backend that this would create for the final part of the regular season. I'm all for bringing Hammer back at a reduced salary next year.

If Hammer really wants to stay in Vancouver why wouldn't he waive his NT for a chance to win a cup then resign in the summer and finish his career as a Canuck, then move to the office with Trevor and Jim. I can't see him holding out if it would benefit the team, he is not Kesler.

Archived