The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Hamhuis. What To Do.

Boddy604

Not trading Hamhuis is not an option for this team, Edler injured or not. What does it take for fans to realize that this club has major challenges that can only be rectified with a huge infusion of talent. Even with that it will be years before they are legit CUP contenders. The Twins will not be playing by the time the Canucks are serious contenders again.

5 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Why would we want to lock in a senior citizen D man when are new core will not be competing for 3-4 yrs.

We want young D man not guys that get the seniors discount at Denny's

Because if you don't, there won't be any fans left to pay those youngens the big bucks they are going to want in a few years time. If you want to watch a bunch of young kids grow and develope into NHLer's then go watch Utica play. I prefer the mix we have now of a balance of young and older players which form a TEAM!!!!! Why do you think there is a Cap? if NHL teams just want to suit up a bunch of kids getting entry level salaries there would be no need for a salary cap.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Not trading Hamhuis is not an option for this team, Edler injured or not. What does it take for fans to realize that this club has major challenges that can only be rectified with a huge infusion of talent. Even with that it will be years before they are legit CUP contenders. The Twins will not be playing by the time the Canucks are serious contenders again.

Dude, you nailed it and I freaking don't know. Sometimes I think its the kool aid Valk and Mcintere and the clowns on team1040 are feeding them because they speak of the Sedins being drafted but the Sedins were drafted in the top 6! We had two 1ST ROUNDERS, it doesn't make any sense for the Canucks' to keep Hammer, but somehow ppl believe keeping Hammer will help the youth and use reasoning for that. It's way too risky to keep Hamuis regardless of our standing. As a fan its common sense this team has had 4 chances with the core, and its time to move and get prospects. If Benning doesn't trade him, I get it if he says no to his NTC, but Hamuis knows himself he wants a chance at a cup. He's Canadian and he cares about the Cup, there I said it.

2 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Dude, you nailed it and I freaking don't know. Sometimes I think its the kool aid Valk and Mcintere and the clowns on team1040 are feeding them because they speak of the Sedins being drafted but the Sedins were drafted in the top 6! We had two 1ST ROUNDERS, it doesn't make any sense for the Canucks' to keep Hammer, but somehow ppl believe keeping Hammer will help the youth and use reasoning for that. It's way too risky to keep Hamuis regardless of our standing. As a fan its common sense this team has had 4 chances with the core, and its time to move and get prospects. If Benning doesn't trade him, I get it if he says no to his NTC, but Hamuis knows himself he wants a chance at a cup. He's Canadian and he cares about the Cup, there I said it.

He's also at a point in his life where he makes decisions based on his family as much as his professional goals.

Trade all the UFA's we have--- are we a playoff team  NO. The only team with less wins than the Canucks are the last place Leafs! The only reason we are still in the race for a playoff spot is because of Bettman's loser points. Hammy is one UFA that will get a decent return and no matter what you call what we are supposed to be doing-- retooling, rebuilding or reloading what we have now aside from the young guys are not doing the job. This year is supposed to be a good draft years so take advantage of it and get as many picks as possible and the lower the better because the lower the pick the better the chance of success. Keeping or drafting a player,  prospect or draft pick just because the are local or from BC is silly unless they are the best available. Most if not all GM's would take the best player available no matter where they hail from. Selling or trading the UFA's is only good business and yes Canucks can either resign Hammy or some other UFA but right now seems Canucks are also up against the "Cap" so either they trade the UFA or they walk one way or another. Come on JB quit hedging see what youcan get for the now!  

3 minutes ago, TheHawk said:

Trade all the UFA's we have--- are we a playoff team  NO. The only team with less wins than the Canucks are the last place Leafs! The only reason we are still in the race for a playoff spot is because of Bettman's loser points. Hammy is one UFA that will get a decent return and no matter what you call what we are supposed to be doing-- retooling, rebuilding or reloading what we have now aside from the young guys are not doing the job. This year is supposed to be a good draft years so take advantage of it and get as many picks as possible and the lower the better because the lower the pick the better the chance of success. Keeping or drafting a player,  prospect or draft pick just because the are local or from BC is silly unless they are the best available. Most if not all GM's would take the best player available no matter where they hail from. Selling or trading the UFA's is only good business and yes Canucks can either resign Hammy or some other UFA but right now seems Canucks are also up against the "Cap" so either they trade the UFA or they walk one way or another. Come on JB quit hedging see what youcan get for the now!  

:lol: Sure glad your not the real GM!

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

In the end, it's entirely up to Hamhuis.......if he doesn't want to go, he doesn't go.  If he is willing to waive, JB has to weigh the return vs the value of keeping him.  Would you trade him if all you get his a 4th, or a mediocre prospect?  I know I wouldn't.

3 hours ago, snucks said:

Its only a matter of time before he gets injured again. They need bigger younger guys like Pedan.

You are absolutely right. That's the trouble with old guys. Their skills diminish more due to injuries and the propensity to be injured  than by the aging process.

11 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Crabcakes,  I think the play would be to trade hamhuis at the deadline for the playoff run.  Get a first and a prospect. 

Sign him again in Sept for Vancity for 2 year deal....

Ya, the Vermette manoeuvre.  How planned was that?  Chicago would have had first crack at re-signing if they wanted.  I think the Yotes did that because the Hawks didn't offer him a contract before July 1.

I don't mind the Canucks resigning Hamhuis next Sept for a 2 yr deal if it can be done at the right price.

Still sucks so bad losing Willie Mitchell . He would have probably put us over the top for the Cup if we would have had him..

I think the issue is that Hamhuis going to ask for major dollars and a  3-4 yr deal. This is last chance to hit a home run. 

2 hours ago, stawns said:

In the end, it's entirely up to Hamhuis.......if he doesn't want to go, he doesn't go.  If he is willing to waive, JB has to weigh the return vs the value of keeping him.  Would you trade him if all you get his a 4th, or a mediocre prospect?  I know I wouldn't.

Hamhuis is the best rental dman available right now. He will never have higher trade value than he does right now in all likelihood.

22 hours ago, mooby said:

Can we keep him and just get rid of Edler?  ::D

I'm salivating.  If only.  Imo Edler is at the heart of what's wrong with the D -- and not great for pk and pp either.  Ppl boast about the minutes he eats up. lol.  He was not missed tonight.  D got along fine without him, looked quicker.  Tanev suffered a little, I'll admit, but not as much as some were predicting.

In tonight's game in Ari someone on the show put up the list of Canucks who have varying degrees of no-trade and no movement clauses.  A small reminder from the Canucks, perhaps?, that JB can't just move everyone he wants in the way that is best for the future. Edler, Burr, and Higgins are on that list.  So is Hamhuis. 

Erhof placed on waivers today... a hint of things to come for the players who refuse to be traded?  How many buyouts can we use this summer?

23 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

if they don't trade him then lets hope Benning is ready to pack his bags up after two years max. Do you think this fan base will forgive him? Even if this team makes the playoffs and lets say gets eliminated in the 1st or 2nd round the fan base will not forget what a opportunity it had to get a decent prospect! So bye bye Benning nice seeing yah, because you will not create a contender with subpar players and no real defensive talent in your prospect pool dream on Benning.

lmao ...... 

Sit him down before the deadline. Tell him you want ro re-sign him in the off season but want to give a chance at a cup with a contender. Ask him what teams he would be willing to go to that could give the best chance. Trade him there for a plethora of riches. Re-sign him in the off season for a discount, or not.

Archived