The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Hamhuis. What To Do.

Boddy604

12 hours ago, stawns said:

In the end, it's entirely up to Hamhuis.......if he doesn't want to go, he doesn't go.  If he is willing to waive, JB has to weigh the return vs the value of keeping him.  Would you trade him if all you get his a 4th, or a mediocre prospect?  I know I wouldn't.

For sure it is whether Hamhuis wants to go. Part of that decision will be whether Van plans on resigning him or not and where he would go if he agreed to a trade. A chance to play for a CUP might be a lure he cannot resist. I am assuming your 4th round option is an example of a cheap return that does not warrant the move. If so I agree but doubt very much that would be the offer. Hamhuis is still capable of top 4 play and I suspect the offer will be at least a 2nd Rounder. Benning has to take that deal.

The big question to me is whether Hamhuis wants that CUP opportunity. IMHO most players would take that op. Hammer might be selective but I can see him liking a Capitals offer and returning to Trotz coaching.   

17 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I For sure it is whether Hamhuis wants to go. Part of that decision will be whether Van plans on resigning him or not and where he would go if he agreed to a trade. A chance to play for a CUP might be a lure he cannot resist. I am assuming your 4th round option is an example of a cheap return that does not warrant the move. If so I agree but doubt very much that would be the offer. Hamhuis is still capable of top 4 play and I suspect the offer will be at least a 2nd Rounder. Benning has to take that deal.

The big question to me is whether Hamhuis wants that CUP opportunity. IMHO most players would take that op. Hammer might be selective but I can see him liking a Capitals offer and returning to Trotz coaching.   

I agree Boudrias.......if the price is higher, JB needs to do everything he can to get Hamhuis to waive.  But, I'm going off Bob Mackenzies comment that there hasn't been interest yet.  Dan is playing very well right now and is the top dman on the team, that's tough to give up too.

Honestly, with Edlwr out, I wonder if he's entertaining the thought of dangling Tanev out there.

How can there be no interest in him... that seems weird.  He'd help button down any contending blueline.

If we can't get anything for him, then fine.  But if we could get even a 2nd round pick, I'm all for trading him.  I'm also all for bringing him back as a UFA if he's willing to take a pay cut; I'm not sure how likely that would be.

10 hours ago, gameburn said:

I'm salivating.  If only.  Imo Edler is at the heart of what's wrong with the D -- and not great for pk and pp either.  Ppl boast about the minutes he eats up. lol.  He was not missed tonight.  D got along fine without him, looked quicker.  Tanev suffered a little, I'll admit, but not as much as some were predicting.

Our D was a tire fire in their own end most of the night. Miller was the main reason we won that game (that and ARZ didn't play very well either).

As for Hamhuis, though I doubt it happens now given the Edler injury, I'm on the 'sell him' side so long as he'll agree to it.

53 minutes ago, kloubek said:
53 minutes ago, kloubek said:

How can there be no interest in him... that seems weird.  He'd help button down any contending blueline.

If we can't get anything for him, then fine.  But if we could get even a 2nd round pick, I'm all for trading him.  I'm also all for bringing him back as a UFA if he's willing to take a pay cut; I'm not sure how likely that would be.

GMs are sitting back and waiting to see how Hamhuis handles the next few games.  So far he is looking very good, but I suspect they want to see a larger sample size.

Imo, he's worth more than a 2nd to a contending team.  There's some good opportunities to add to the d prospect pool or get a 1st.  Losing H could also mean a top 5 pick at the draft.

I can't imagine that Hamhuis would turn down the chance to play for the SC this year.  He sure isn't going to get that chance on this team.

I hope JB 'stays the course' and continues to build a future contending team.  Encourage the team to play their best, but don't overlook opportunities to quicken the rebuild.

Yeah, I can appreciate he might not want to leave his home and roots in Vancouver, and that's perfectly fair, but like you said - he certainly isn't going to be winning a cup here or even get to play in the playoffs so being traded for a couple of months would probably be in his best interests.

I would like to think we'd get more than a 2nd as well, but supposedly the market isn't that great for rentals right now, Hammer wasn't exactly playing well before he got injured, and apparently nobody has called about him either.  I'd be ok with a 2nd in light of all that.

5 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Yeah, I can appreciate he might not want to leave his home and roots in Vancouver, and that's perfectly fair, but like you said - he certainly isn't going to be winning a cup here or even get to play in the playoffs so being traded for a couple of months would probably be in his best interests.

I would like to think we'd get more than a 2nd as well, but supposedly the market isn't that great for rentals right now, Hammer wasn't exactly playing well before he got injured, and apparently nobody has called about him either.  I'd be ok with a 2nd in light of all that.

If teams think that he would be a rental only and would immediately re-sign with Vancouver once an UFA and that they have no chance of re-signing him, they aren't going to offer much, if anything I suspect.

Listened to Bob McKenzie on 1040...His message to Canuck fans was 'don't get your hopes up'...It would take the stars to align in a particular way for the Canucks to move Hamhuis (plus he has an NTC)....McKenzie also mentioned that just because teams were giving away 1st round picks for rentals last year,does not necessarily mean thats what the going rate is this year.

5 minutes ago, Quoted said:

If teams think that he would be a rental only and would immediately re-sign with Vancouver once an UFA and that they have no chance of re-signing him, they aren't going to offer much, if anything I suspect.

Even as a rental i think Hammer gets us a  first ( in the 25-30 ) range overall or a very high second .   He could be a critical piece for a stanley cup contender. 

I would hope that this rumor about Washington really wanting him pans out. Would love to see us getting a first for him. After the season, possibly resign him for a couple of years to school guys like Hutton, Pedan, and Subban, among others. If the offer is a second, then hopefully a depth prospect would be added. If nothing but low ball (4th or worse) comes around, Hammer goes nowhere.

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 7:06 AM, higgyfan said:

Or...they trade Hamhuis + Gaunce for Honka.  Pick up Demers in the off season.

Edler Demers

Hutton  Tanev

Sbisa  Honka

Biega/Pedan

With Edler and Suter out, there's no way this team will be making the playoffs.  Hamhuis' departure results in a top 5 pick.  Rebuild quickening!

A huge part of the conversation is return.  If there was a way to get one of the premium young D prospects out there? Theodore, Honka, Pouliot, Bowey, etc > You pretty much have to go all in!

But lets assume, as its a fair possibility, that there is only a secondary return? Then the question, because its believed Dan wants to return, Are our young LHD prospects ready for a regular shift?

That's where JB's real value is. He should have the expertise to project whether Tryamkin and Pedan can be effective in the NHL for us next year.  If so he can spend Hamhuis salary elsewhere...

How ready for action Pedan and Tryamkin are, plus whether the bigger Russian will sign, and again JB will have been into the agents ear to get a feel for this, should determine our action plan.

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Sergachev is a Russian Mafia Assassin.  Think a bigger, heavier, better skating, Dennis Potvin. (Potvin was a very nasty dude.)

I'm very curious about you Alf.  Just 6 months ago you were a very green and wet behind the ears CDC rookie. And asked lots of questions. Often challenging CDC mindset. But always wanting other peoples answers. 

Now you seem very determined to lead CDC mindset. On Coach Willie. On driving the tank. Even here you have a pre-determined distinct opinion that this prospect will be similar, but bigger and better version of one of the greatest players in several generations at his position.

You have become a very different furry beast my alien friend. Whats next?

Alf for President of CDC!

3 minutes ago, arcanuck said:

I would hope that this rumor about Washington really wanting him pans out. Would love to see us getting a first for him. After the season, possibly resign him for a couple of years to school guys like Hutton, Pedan, and Subban, among others. If the offer is a second, then hopefully a depth prospect would be added. If nothing but low ball (4th or worse) comes around, Hammer goes nowhere.

Makes sense... Yup.

2 minutes ago, arcanuck said:

According to Bob McKenzie,the capitals have not contacted the Canucks,which makes all these rumours completely baseless....Personally,I'd just as soon keep him around.

14 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Even as a rental i think Hammer gets us a  first ( in the 25-30 ) range overall or a very high second .   He could be a critical piece for a stanley cup contender. 

We'll just have to see I guess. I've never been good at mind reading GMs.

On 2/10/2016 at 10:51 PM, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

if they don't trade him then lets hope Benning is ready to pack his bags up after two years max. Do you think this fan base will forgive him? Even if this team makes the playoffs and lets say gets eliminated in the 1st or 2nd round the fan base will not forget what a opportunity it had to get a decent prospect! So bye bye Benning nice seeing yah, because you will not create a contender with subpar players and no real defensive talent in your prospect pool dream on Benning.

Is it Benning?    OR is it the OWNERS still calling the shots.  WOW!  My guess is the latter. . .

7 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

A huge part of the conversation is return.  If there was a way to get one of the premium young D prospects out there? Theodore, Honka, Pouliot, Bowey, etc > You pretty much have to go all in!

But lets assume, as its a fair possibility, that there is only a secondary return? Then the question, because its believed Dan wants to return, Are our young LHD prospects ready for a regular shift?

That's where JB's real value is. He should have the expertise to project whether Tryamkin and Pedan can be effective in the NHL for us next year.  If so he can spend Hamhuis salary elsewhere...

How ready for action Pedan and Tryamkin are, plus whether the bigger Russian will sign, and again JB will have been into the agents ear to get a feel for this, should determine our action plan.

I'm very curious about you Alf.  Just 6 months ago you were a very green and wet behind the ears CDC rookie. And asked lots of questions. Often challenging CDC mindset. But always wanting other peoples answers. 

Now you seem very determined to lead CDC mindset. On Coach Willie. On driving the tank. Even here you have a pre-determined distinct opinion that this prospect will be similar, but bigger and better version of one of the greatest players in several generations at his position.

You have become a very different furry beast my alien friend. Whats next?

Alf for President of CDC!

What's CDC? :frantic:

2 minutes ago, Quoted said:

We'll just have to see I guess. I've never been good at mind reading GMs.

Yupp. Who knows ? Exciting to think we could  actually get a top prospect for renting out one of our players for 35 games. New ground for the canucks....

19 minutes ago, Quoted said:

Teams looking to actually go on a cup run (not just playoffs) will pay handsomely for a player of Hamhuis' calibre. Rental or otherwise.

In fact, most of them are counting on him not re-signing as they likely can't afford him other than as a deadline rental anyway.

Benning has already stated he's not making any decisions until after their team meetings and even then Hamhuis will still have to agree to any move. THAT's why GM's aren't calling. We aren't presently selling. If you guys honestly think none of those GM's will have interest in adding a Hamhuis to their cup run closer to the TDL...you're out to lunch.

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Teams looking to actually go on a cup run (not just playoffs) will pay handsomely for a player of Hamhuis' calibre. Rental or otherwise.

In fact, most of them are counting on him not re-signing as they likely can't afford him other than as a deadline rental anyway.

Benning has already stated he's not making any decisions until after their team meetings and even then Hamhuis will still have to agree to any move. THAT's why GM's aren't calling. We aren't presently selling. If you guys honestly think none of those GM's will have interest in adding a Hamhuis to their cup run closer to the TDL...you're out to lunch.

If it is a team that truly believes he will make the difference between a cup or not, yes, I agree. Just a decent playoff run, less so I would think. Hamhuis is a proven leader and a solid D-man. And I agree, whether or not anyone is calling today doesn't mean much.

Archived