The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Hawks interested in Hamhuis and Vrbata

Nail

25 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Hamhuis will waive if he wants a run at the Cup. He won't waive if he wants a good contract in the summer.

When you look at good players going to a stacked team ready to make a run at the Cup they rarely do well on the new team and end up losing money on next contract.

Kaberle is a prime example, he would have made a tonne of money as a UFA, he waved to go to Boston, won a Cup but had an unimpressive playoff. He lost millions on his next contract. 

Last year Vermette went to Chicago, same thing happened, he was known for being a very good two way C, had a poor showing in Chicago and lost millions on his next contract. The list goes on. If Hammer wants to make money he shouldn't waive.

Yandle is another player who won't make as much as he would have had he never been traded out of ARZ. Sather thought of him as a top pair D and paid a ransom for him with Duclair and a 1st + 2nd. Yandle will lose millions on his next contract because he didn't live up to his reputation in NYR.

Disagree based on kaberle never was the dman that hamhuis is.

not even close.

he had an unimpressive playoffs in Boston because he was never really that good in the first place.

Hammer wants to remain a canuck. He's open to being moved at the deadline and re-signing in the summer if the canucks wanted him back.  He brought up the Vermette situation last season.  He wants to a win a cup but hes always wanted to win one in vancouver!

Just now, Rush17 said:

Hammer wants to remain a canuck. He's open to being moved at the deadline and re-signing in the summer if the canucks wanted him back.  He brought up the Vermette situation last season.  He wants to a win a cup but hes always wanted to win one in vancouver!

Then we should get him one.

5 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

Sounds like Hammer's open to coming back, if he is traded.

I hope so.  Both for him and his family if he likes it here, and as far as the team goes, it's not like the team is currently bursting with NHL-caliber defensemen.

As discussed previously I simply do not see him being resigned next fall. He will want multiple years and money that will be too expensive as a 3LD. Quite frankly his game has fallen off in a big way. His TOI has to go to a younger dman.

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

As discussed previously I simply do not see him being resigned next fall. He will want multiple years and money that will be too expensive as a 3LD. Quite frankly his game has fallen off in a big way. His TOI has to go to a younger dman.

Have you been watching him play? He's looked pretty good as of late and he's not really that old. 

Price and and term may be an issue but he's not a 3 LD 

Just now, TimberWolf said:

Then we should get him one.

Yeah I was surprised he said that publicly.  Might impact his trade value but hes a stand up guy.  Theres no garauntees canucks have plans for him.  But I think he would be a good 3rd pairing d man down the road. that experience could be huge for the team.

depends if anything else shakes out with the rest of the d-corp. I've seen wierd thing happen and i'm a never say never believer.

Just now, J-Dizzle said:

Have you been watching him play? He's looked pretty good as of late and he's not really that old. 

I agree.  He looks like his old self.  I would rather deal Edler. Hammer is his prime was a large part of our 2011 playoff success. After he got injured the team fell apart. He is looking like his old self again.  That 2011 playoff injury messed with his head I think.  I think this most recent injury might of helped him come back stronger.

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Hamhuis: We don't know (if I'd waive) for the right situation. That's going to be an in-the-moment decision. We'd have an open mind

Perfect way to spin it to keep value up. :)  He did say in the interview stuff that was more direct then the I don't know if i'd waive.  It sounded like he was 100% willing but when directly asked he gave that answer.  He knows he has to make a decision now or at years end if the team wants to replace him.  I hope he returns.  Just means Pedan would get little ice time and sbisa would be stuck on the right side.

1 minute ago, J-Dizzle said:

Price and and term may be an issue but he's not a 3 LD 

I was impressed with his first 2 games and then he started to get beat again. The d-core is weak no doubt. An acquiring team

might have a partner that fits well for Hamhuis. My 3LD comment had more to do with Hutton's development and that it would

be a step back for the org to put Hutton back to 3LD when he has been 2LD almost all season. Hutton has been the 1LD since

Edler went down and not looked that bad.

I was impressed with his first 2 games and then he started to get beat again. The d-core is weak no doubt. An acquiring team

might have a partner that fits well for Hamhuis. My 3LD comment had more to do with Hutton's development and that it would

be a step back for the org to put Hutton back to 3LD when he has been 2LD almost all season. Hutton has been the 1LD since

Edler went down and not looked that bad.

That's a fair assessment. As crazy as this might sound I would almost rather have Hammer as 2d and move Edler in the off season. 

Unlike a lot of others I like Edler still but if we're going youth movement I think Hammer is a solid veteran presence on the back end and a consummate professional. 

Just now, J-Dizzle said:

That's a fair assessment. As crazy as this might sound I would almost rather have Hammer as 2d and move Edler in the off season. 

Unlike a lot of others I like Edler still but if we're going youth movement I think Hammer is a solid veteran presence on the back end and a consummate professional. 

Edler is 30. Only 3 years younger then Hamhuis.

Pokka could be in play. He's not a Chicago pick, so there always seems to be a tendancy for teams to flip assests they didn't choose themselves.

There's a lot of combinations of prospects and players that could help us. Benning always seems pragmatic in his dealings. I'll be happy with a solid D prospect, a pick, and a bad contract on a usable player.

Archived