The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Hawks interested in Hamhuis and Vrbata

Nail

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

I believe Vrbata has a limited NTC so he can tell us which teams he won't go to but can't kibosh any trades to teams not on the list? I could be way wrong though and if I am, I'm sure someone will be happy to correct me. 

As for Hamhuis, I just can't see him refusing a trade to a contender. Obviously, I have no special insight into him or his motivations but I'm not seeing him squash a trade.

That is correct - and his list is 8 teams.

Hamhuis will waive if he wants a run at the Cup. He won't waive if he wants a good contract in the summer.

When you look at good players going to a stacked team ready to make a run at the Cup they rarely do well on the new team and end up losing money on next contract.

Kaberle is a prime example, he would have made a tonne of money as a UFA, he waved to go to Boston, won a Cup but had an unimpressive playoff. He lost millions on his next contract. 

Last year Vermette went to Chicago, same thing happened, he was known for being a very good two way C, had a poor showing in Chicago and lost millions on his next contract. The list goes on. If Hammer wants to make money he shouldn't waive.

Yandle is another player who won't make as much as he would have had he never been traded out of ARZ. Sather thought of him as a top pair D and paid a ransom for him with Duclair and a 1st + 2nd. Yandle will lose millions on his next contract because he didn't live up to his reputation in NYR.

I don't believe re-signing Hammer was ever in the plan. And I don't think that was a knock on him from management, it's just the realities of rebuilding an aging roster. He's more valuable to another team than he is to us at our arc. 

Every year, if you don't make roster changes, you get 23 years older on aggregate to your squad. That means to remain the same average age you need to remove 23 years from your roster each season. That's hard to do. Skip a year, like when you're contending, and then you have to do 46 the following year. 

Now, naturally, this isn't a straight line...but it's true in general principle. If a front office decides, for sake of argument, that the optimum average age is 27 years old with a mix of vets and youth, then the easiest way is to move older players for younger players to make up that ground in a significant chunk rather than whittle away on several player spots. In fact, it's the only real viable way since changing over half your roster each year is impractical. 

By removing Hammer, even if for a temporary downgrade, allows you to shed 10 of those years at once then you have to do it in our situation. Those are what they call the hard decisions. 

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Sounds to me like he is prepared to go.

Yup he does want to win a cup, but team has not approached him. I think they know where he would go and wont approach him till a trade has been completed and just needing his signature for approval

Archived