The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

College free agents

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Ahti Oksanen played with Granlund internationally in the world juniors.

I wonder if he's laying some ground work for trying to go after him. 

The Canucks could become a very Finn friendly team in the next few months.

Benning is apparently look at a Finn that plays in the Sm-Liiga, I forgot his name but he appears to be a Power Forward.

Benning is also apparently high on Juolevi and could have see that we have a reasonable chance at getting Laine or Puljujarvi at the tradedeadline.

I think the Shinkaruk trade was mostly a hockey trade but there may have been some outside factors that influenced him to go through with it.

2 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

Benning is apparently look at a Finn that plays in the Sm-Liiga, I forgot his name but he appears to be a Power Forward.

Benning is also apparently high on Juolevi and could have see that we have a reasonable chance at getting Laine or Puljujarvi at the tradedeadline.

I think the Shinkaruk trade was mostly a hockey trade but there may have been some outside factors that influenced him to go through with it.

I think he sees that's there's a good possibility we could draft Laine or Pullijarvi.

Having some Finns here for them to start their career with could help the transition. Much like we had Sbisa here for Sven, and Pedan for Tryamkin.

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Why?  We have enough smallish forwards (plus Rodin coming in) of which he'd be the smallest, and no guarantee his skills will transfer.

He seems to like to go after players who have played together before and shown chemistry (Vey, Etem, Valk and Dorsett, Granlund and Baertschi)

Caggiula and Boeser have shown some great chemistry together at UND.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He seems to like to go after players who have played together before and shown chemistry (Vey, Etem, Valk and Dorsett, Granlund and Baertschi)

Caggiula and Boeser have shown some great chemistry together at UND.

I would rather take someone like Brendan Tanev than Caggiula. Sure Caggiula may turn into a top 6 player but when going the College free agent route I would rather take the safe pick as opposed to a boom or bust player

Stretcher IMO is the best College UFA defenseman. His skating ability is probably all ready at a NHL level and he could be protected playing with someone like Pedan or Trymakin

Just now, Gstank29 said:

I would rather take someone like Brendan Tanev than Caggiula. Sure Caggiula may turn into a top 6 player but when going the College free agent route I would rather take the safe pick as opposed to a boom or bust player

Stretcher IMO is the best College UFA defenseman. His skating ability is probably all ready at a NHL level and he could be protected playing with someone like Pedan or Trymakin

We already have safe bottom 6 players like Tanev. We don't need any more of those.

What we need is a dynamic skilled winger that can put the puck in the net. They didn't think they had that in Shinkaruk and there's no guarantees Rodin will be that guy.

Just now, DeNiro said:

We already have safe bottom 6 players like Tanev. We don't need any more of those.

What we need is a dynamic skilled winger that can put the puck in the net. They didn't think they had that in Shinkaruk and there's no guarantees Rodin will be that guy.

We are pretty set at Wing

Virtanen

Boeser

Baertschi

(if we don't go D, then it will be a winger. The only Centre in the top 7/8 is Matthews)

Rodin

Hansen

Dorsett

McCann?????

Gaunce

Grenier

Zalewski

and maybe a UFA (I think Benning is thinking of signing a UFA. He said Rodin will be competing for a 3rd line position)

Also College UFA look at a teams depth chart and ours is loaded at forward

Archived