The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

College free agents

Looking at the right handed defenseman on this list.

Brevig 

Defence, Ohio State Buckeyes, Junior (6’2″ 194 lbs)

Brevig isn’t a big scorer, as the 23-year-old has just two goals and 14 points in 30 games this season.  However he is a smooth skater, with excellent agility, pivots and edgework that allow him to cover a lot of ice.  He plays strong positionally, cuts down passing lanes, and is wiling to block shots.  His quick stick causes turnovers and he makes a good first pass out of the zone and is willing to join the the rush at times.  He needs to work on his slapshot.

Gross Right Defence, Notre Dame Fighting Irish, Sophomore (5’10” 190 lbs)

The Sophomore defenceman has put up huge numbers for the Fighting Irish this season with 8 goals and 30 points in 34 games this season.  Like, Grezelcyk he is a little undersized, but has excellent skating ability.  Gross has very good vision and hockey sense, thinking the game very well and he almost always makes the right play with or without the puck. He also has an excellent wrist shot and one-timer, with a knack for getting them on net through traffic. Gross could stay in school as he has two more years of eligibility remaining.

Casey Nelson, Right Defense, Minnesota State Mankato, Junior (6’2″ 183 lbs)

The 23-year-old is likely the most sought after free agent defenceman in this class. He has put up 4 goals and 20 points in 33 games this year. Nelson has ideal size and a right handed shot that will contribute to him being very sought after. He is a strong skater with good speed and accleration in both directions, and strong pivots.  This helps in all aspects of his game, as he moves the puck effectively and can lead the rush or join as a trailer. He makes smart passes on the breakout or in controlling the puck at the blue line and has an accurate wrist shot, and a good slapshot. When defending his skating allows him to be able to keep the attackers in front of him and force them to the outside.  He could stand to add a little more muscle to his frame and be a little more physical going forward, but has the opportunity to be an effective two-way defenceman at the NHL level. He’ll need a little bit of AHL time to develop though, as he isn’t as dominant and NHL ready as a Danny Dekeyser was a couple of years ago.

Ethan Prow, Defence, St. Cloud State University, Senior (5’11” 185 lbs)

The 23-year-old defender is putting up better than a point-per-game with 31 points in 30 games for St. Cloud State this year. He’s another undersized but highly offensive defenceman.  He has the poise to control the puck at the blue line and make plays on the powerplay, with good vision and passing skills.  Prow also has a knack for keeping his shot low and on net, allowing teammates to set screens and get rebounds and deflections.  He is a strong skater who can join the rush and get back defensively as well.  Prow must add strength to his frame to be able to handle the bigger forwards he will face at the next level.

Andy RyanRight Defense, Notre Dame Fighting Irish, Senior (6’1″ 205 lbs)

The Irish’s 22-year-old alternate captain is not the biggest scorer with two goals and 10 points in 34 games this season.  However he is a good skater, with good speed in both directions, and excellent pivots and edgework.  Ryan uses his skating skills to keep defenders in front of him and force them to the outside.  He understands how to step up and make a hit at a key moment, and is physical in the corners and in front of the net.  Ryan shows the ability to be a valuable stay at home defender with good mobility and a first pass out of the zone.

Troy Stecher, Defence, North Dakota Fighting Hawks, Junior (5’10 190 lbs)

The 20-year-old defender has put in a very solid season for North Dakota. The only undrafted player who is a regular on the UND blueline, he has arguably been UND’s best defenceman, playing big minutes and in all situations. In 32 games he has 22 points.  Stecher is an outstanding skater, with great speed, tremendous edgeweork, and the ability to cover all areas of the ice.  He is confident with the puck on his stick and makes great breakout passes, and plays from the blue line.  His shot could use a little more power, but its not bad.  Defensively Stecher is extremely tough to beat one on one, and uses his lower body strength and excellent balance to win one-on-one battles with bigger forwards.  Stecher is likely one of the most sought after defence prospects on the market.

7 hours ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

I was excited by Stecher then I read he is 5'10 and 190. That's pretty small. I have never seen him play and know absolutely nothing about his game, anyone who has seen him can you say he will be potentially a NHL player? 

Also seen him listed at 5'11, which at 190 is above Krug/Spurgeon/ and at least Ellis/Barrie size.  He's apparently a big Canuck fan and was at prospects camp in 2014.  If he were signed, I'd expect that might be the end of Subban.

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Also seen him listed at 5'11, which at 190 is above Krug/Spurgeon/ and at least Ellis/Barrie size.  He's apparently a big Canuck fan and was at prospects camp in 2014.  If he were signed, I'd expect that might be the end of Subban.

why would that mark the end of Subban? Subban would be 1-2 years away, maybe 3 years  from making the NHL full time. it's not bad to have more right handed defensive prospects. and it's not like we have a ton of those in our system anyways. good to stockpile. 

18 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

why would that mark the end of Subban? Subban would be 1-2 years away, maybe 3 years  from making the NHL full time. it's not bad to have more right handed defensive prospects. and it's not like we have a ton of those in our system anyways. good to stockpile. 

Just going by the pattern, he could still keep him.  Yes he's a couple years away still, but Larsen isn't the biggest either, and JB won't want to many small players back there.

I like the sound of Hampus Gustafsson. He's a 6'4" centre. Plays a power forward style game. He sounds very much in line with what the Canucks want in a player. I'm curious if he can switch to the wing. He sounds like a very ideal 3rd/4th line centre.

The 22-year-old Swede plays a straight-line power forward game, scoring 25 points in 34 games.  He has a good skating stride, and generates decent speed; but is much more willing to bowl over a defender to get to the net, then to try and stickhandle around him.  He punishes defencemen on the forecheck.  He can also effectively use his size and balance to shield the puck on the forecheck and grind out a possession game.  Gustafsson has good defensive skills, including strong positioning; a long, active stick and good face-off skills.  That two-way game, coupled with his size will certainly have NHL teams making offers, and he will need to choose between going pro and returning for his senior season at Merrimack.

4 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Ahti Oksanen from BU

6'3" 205lb shoots left

Is a defenseman but has also been playing forward

If I'm Benning, I'm offering this big Finn a spot on the team next year

We have a log jam of players, would be great to sign 1 or 2 of the good college free agents, but we cant gift them a roster spot. camp invite and playing time in Utica.

we got lots of left D, but Oksanen is a player we should be after for sure. We might be drafting Juolevi so we can have the twin towers and maybe a finnish pairing down the  road

I can only assume Benning is making some moves at the draft with a couple of our players, or we may not qualify 1 or 2 of them and let them become ufa's

caggiula in Utica next year would be a nice addition. If we sign a rhd also it may be to replace Fedun if he doesnt return, or maybe Subban gets moved as ppl here seem to think that will happen. I hope not, guy is on a tear with Utica in his 1st pro year

24 minutes ago, Yotes said:

Casey Nelson the rhd from minnesota state?

wonder if there's any news on that front with regards to collegiate free agents. Benning has his eye on any of them? 

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

wonder if there's any news on that front with regards to collegiate free agents. Benning has his eye on any of them? 

hopefully he does. Stretcher seems to be the best bet as he is a local kid. We saw that factor in to the mike reilly signing and Dekeyser one in the past

We have been offloading contracts so I see a couple of these signings.  We pretty much know what our current crop of prospects are, and I suspect even more of them will be moved out and replaced by different guys to take a look at.

We have pulled a lot of young players from the farm system this year, and lots of them will stick next year or be traded for picks/assets.  They need to be replaced and anyone we pick this draft (aside from our 1st round) doesn't need to be signed right away as they won't be ready until well down the road.

Archived