The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The "Middle of the Pack" Argument

Remy

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Desi you ARE INSANELY correct.  That's you and Don Cherry who I've agreed with today.  I think the syphilococus has finally reached my brain.   :frantic:

the future Vancouver Senators. lol a bunch of two way guys, who can never reach elite status. How many years has it been since Ottawa has had the run. 

Quick retooling is all they do lol trade prospects for guys like Bobby Ryan. Kyle Turris and on lol 

draft players like Curtiz Lazar and call them locker room guys lol 

2 hours ago, Remy said:

The bottom line is this: if you're a team in the middle, you have options that can put you over the top. It might be a surprise draft pick that exceeds expectations, or it might be some free agent signings. It was a mix of both of those elements that brought the Canucks to the Stanley Cup Finals in 2011. Having been a mid-tier team the previous few years, you can see how they built on that playoff win against Dallas by developing their roster, adding some prospects gradually, and some key free agent signings (like Malhotra and Hamhuis). That's how it's done. 

I'm afraid it's not that simple. While it's true that the Canucks were a middle team, you can't just say that middle teams are the ones that become elite. Look at Chicago, for example.

2001-2002 Chicago was a playoff contender.

2002-2003 Chicago was 17th in the league, just falling short of a playoff spot.

2003-2004 they were second last in the league.

2005-2006 they were third last in the league.

2006-2007 they were fifth last in the league.

2007-2008 Chicago was 19th, so a bit short of a playoff spot.

2010 they won the cup, and of course you know what happens next.

While Canucks were definitely an elite team back in the 2010-2012 era, they were only that good for a couple of years. They went all out, it was either the Cup or bust, and unfortunately it was the latter.

Chicago on the other hand set themselves up for years, as they've been more or less one of the best teams the last 6-7 years. Can't argue with 3 Cups.

What I'm basically saying is that every team is different. Each has there ups and downs, and a lot of it depends on management as well as luck. A team needs to choose its path, whether tank and full on rebuild or just being eliminated in the first round every year. Look at Detroit. They were really good about 6 years ago, and now they've completely faded into the background, a playoff team that isn't really going anywhere with their aging core.

Chances are that with higher picks you'll do better, so logically tanking would be the right course of action as opposed to just missing the playoffs. That of course is my opinion, but I think my point is made.

1 minute ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

the future Vancouver Senators. lol a bunch of two way guys, who can never reach elite status. How many years has it been since Ottawa has had the run. 

Quick retooling is all they do lol trade prospects for guys like Bobby Ryan. Kyle Turris and on lol 

draft players like Curtiz Lazar and call them locker room guys lol 

and miss out on signing guys like Bobby Sanguineti.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

and miss out on signing guys like Bobby Sanguineti.

deflection is a heck of thing. how do you deny this team is not following the route of the Senators. lol how many elite stars do Ottawa have. Ever since Alfredson has retired, similar to how we are heading. Youj need top 5 guys on your team, or the future is the senator route lol

14 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

deflection is a heck of thing. how do you deny this team is not following the route of the Senators. lol how many elite stars do Ottawa have. Ever since Alfredson has retired, similar to how we are heading. Youj need top 5 guys on your team, or the future is the senator route lol

1297641398786_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&si

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

1297641398786_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&si

what does Karlson have to do with anything. One player is not going to make them elite. They lack goaltending and scoring in a elite way. They have been mediocre for how many years. They kept there leader Chris Phillips until 2015 - similar us - Hamhuis

they rely on a key piece that is nothing more then a grinder who scores here and there - Chris Neil - similar us - DORSETT!!

they have made a bunch of trades after there run to do a quick retool. 

more similarites, they gambled with a trade for Kyle Turris and at that time Turris was in the same boat as SVEN Baerstchi- another similarity 

They kept there old captain till the end of his career, Alfredson- who had 1 kick at the cup and similarity for us the Sedins

They have a boat load of two-way players, who are never going to be top 10 in the NHL. 

list goes on and on. 

3 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

This argument is flawed. Can't use the Oilers as a precedent for a team wanting to tank.

...anyways this has been discussed to death here and I'm sure majority of the fans are ready to tank.

Thing with us being a "middle of the pack team" is we have nothing to fine tune. Once you realize that, it's obvious we have to rebuild as we have no set foundation for the future. 

Fine then I'll use the 76's as an example or maybe the Marlins, Astros (took them 10 years), Browns and so many other examples that exist

2 hours ago, Remy said:

Nothing that I wrote is at odds with that. I think some people are getting bogged down in semantics, particularly with how I mentioned the Oilers. 

My point certainly wasn't that high picks are bad. They obviously aren't. But if you can't transition to being a mid-team, it's not like you're going to go from bottom-feeder to contender. 

That's really all there is to it. My point was simply that it's not a BAD thing to be a team in the middle. Hopefully we get back there soon. 

It's not bad to be a mid-pack team if you're on the ascent. When your'e a team like the Canucks and just tread water for years being in the middle, putting bandaids over holes in the roster, then that becomes a problem. Fortunately it looks like we're finally ready to sink to or near the bottom and with any luck we'll be able to draft a couple/few gems and rise to the top again.

Why are we discussing this. The management has made it clear that tanking is not in their vocabulary. We had a Torts year that gave  us a high pick and this year we are introducing a lot of youth. This is not a tank it is just inevitable. So lets rejoice if we get into the top 5.

10 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Lol. Different sport. 

Like comparing apples to oranges. Invalid.

A sport franchise is a sports franchise. The idea is still the same, I'm sure if you go back far enough there are tons of examples of this. But then again you're probably too young to even remember  anything beyond the early 2000's

Alanta Thrashers

http://www.hockeydb.com/stte/atlanta-thrashers-4682.html

Florida Panther (pre Tallon)

http://www.hockeydb.com/stte/florida-panthers-5763.html

I love seeing us play good but im so on the tank side for atleast this year. Other than the Oilers i have seen what a top pick can do for a rebuilding franchise. I dont even care though to be honest, if we get a 8-10 pick there are a lot of good D availiable. I just got major Mathews and Puljajarvi fever. Sean Day will be a great pickup if we can get him in the 2nd round.

Im not going to pick any im going with the flow and we will see how it plays out over the offseason. This offseason will be the biggest in out retool phase.

Archived