The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lets Build the Las Vegas Roster

6 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yes there is plenty of expansion league talk but I think there could be some interesting discussion on which players would be kept, not just for the Canucks but others teams.  Possibly we could determine which players will be protected by each team.  After all that, using all the unprotected players we could start building the roster for the, Las Vegas (insert).

There are some grey area’s so lets say the rules are:

• Expansion draft is held June 10th, 2017 (pre draft, post cup)
  • NMC CAN be moved as they could be willing to waive.

• First- and second-year pros -- including those playing pro hockey at any level -- will be exempt from the expansion draft. But if they're entering their third year of pro hockey, they're no longer exempt. (McCann, Hutton, Virtanen will have to be protected)

• Unsigned draft picks (think college or European players) are exempt from the expansion draft for two years from their draft year but not in Year 3, so teams will have to either rush to sign those guys or simply expose them in the expansion draft. (let’s just assume teams sign these players so no college picks are available)

• A team can protect 8 Skaters and 1 Goalie.

• A team can only one player per team can be claimed.

*yes some players could be not resigned or traded before them, so lets just assume the teams current roster is what they are going into the draft with. 

My Las Vegas Black Aces 23 man Roster:

Eriksson - Spezza -Yakupov

Ladd -Kesler -Moulson
Brouwer- Nelson- Brown
Hagelin -Richardson -Grigorenko

Rychel- Smith-Pelly

Edler- Suter
Enstrom- Staal
Ekholm -Kulikov

Bowey

Bishop

Condon

The sad thing is that team looks like they would kick our a** in a seven game series

Went with a different route and didn't hamper this team with lengthy contracts with NMCs, aside from Suter.

Burakovsky - Riberio - Eriksson

Hagelin - Spooner - Hoffman

Jokinen - Kruger - Hansen

Bouma - Boyle - Laughton

Bailey - Kassian

Bouwmeester - Suter

Martinez - Stone

Tyutin - Franson

Beaulieu

Andersen

Hutchinson

italics = Unclear whether they will be left unprotected.

Sorry I don't really know much about this topic. But does signing guys this year who are 'less valuable' for say a couple of years work for the expansion meaning you can then leave them unprotected, and somehow keep others in Ahl or something. Does it effect how teams will deploy guys from the minors etc? It seems like we are finally getting a pool of prospects seems a shame to lose those 'young Nbl ready guys' we have been getting like etem, tramkin, granlund. When if we foresaw this expansion happening should have we really been trading for picks? Maybe I'm missing those point sorry. 

7 hours ago, Lockhart said:

I think we could leave the Sedins unprotected, a team couldn't pick both and I doubt a team would want to take only one of them, especially at their age, cap hit and they wouldn't want to separate twins.

That's probably true.  Plus they will only have 1 year left on their contract till UFA and possibly retirement.  It would be a waste of a pick unless teams were really trying to be immediate cup contenders (which just isn't likely).  Teams are going to get really strategical in how they treat this process. 

13 hours ago, austy said:

Sorry I don't really know much about this topic. But does signing guys this year who are 'less valuable' for say a couple of years work for the expansion meaning you can then leave them unprotected, and somehow keep others in Ahl or something. Does it effect how teams will deploy guys from the minors etc? It seems like we are finally getting a pool of prospects seems a shame to lose those 'young Nbl ready guys' we have been getting like etem, tramkin, granlund. When if we foresaw this expansion happening should have we really been trading for picks? Maybe I'm missing those point sorry. 

Since the AHL still counts as a pro league it really wouldn't affect anything.  A player like gaunce for example would need to be protected whether we kept him in the AHL or NHL.  The thing is, a team can only lose one player, so it's not that scary, it's not like someone can come in and drain our entire prospect pool. For the most part anyone were concerned about losing we'd just protect.  

The defense is going to be tricky for all teams, there will be some good young players up for grabs.

Archived