The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lets Build the Las Vegas Roster

2 minutes ago, Screw said:

My guess is that you will see older players, especially ones with high cap hits, left unprotected.  My bet is that the twins are left unprotected and don't get claimed.

If there's one team in expansion, you could leave one unprotected.

1 minute ago, thejazz97 said:

If there's one team in expansion, you could leave one unprotected.

If you were worried. I doubt any team would want one and not the other.  However that could claim one and then trade one back to the Canucks.

2 hours ago, Nas19 said:

Pittsburgh is going to have a hell of a time. Who do you protect Fleury or Murray?

Same with Tampa. Big Ben or Vasilevsky? I'm ok with them saying the new team has to be competitive right away, but it's gonna screw some teams over hard. 

In the order you laid out in each post, picking one from each unprotected list (and assuming a one team expansion):

CGY: Backlund

ANA: Anderson

VAN: Edler

EDM: Yakupov

LAK: Martinez

SJS: Braun

ARI: Stone

DAL: Spezza

CHI: Shaw

STL: Berglund

NSH: Ekholm

COL: Grigorenko

MIN: Suter

WPG: Armia

WSH: Bowey

NYR: Hayes

NYI: Nelson

PIT: Hagelin

PHI: Laughton

CAR: Nash

NJD: Smith-Pelly

CBJ: Wennberg

FLA: Smith

BOS: Subban

TB: Stamkos! (but really Bishop)

DET: Abdelkader

OTT: Hoffman

MTL: Eller

BUF: Moulson

TOR: Hyman

Assuming they'd be going for a 23-man roster with these picks (and they could sign/trade further players from the 23) I've 'scratched' 7 of the picks as ones they might pass on. The D is probably too offensive (would they do something like pick Tryamkin instead of Edler to get more size/defence?) and I didn't really account for forward positions although I'm sure I have a number of centers in there.

3 minutes ago, Screw said:

If you were worried. I doubt any team would want one and not the other.  However that could claim one and then trade one back to the Canucks.

Or keep him for the year. It's going to be their inaugural year. Either one of the Sedins would be the best player that was left unprotected. It would be useful getting casual fans on board with a bonafide Star and future HOFer.

I wouldn't risk it tbh. The media would have a field day criticizing this franchise if they lose a legend like this. 

6 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

In the order you laid out in each post, picking one from each unprotected list (and assuming a one team expansion):

CGY: Backlund

ANA: Anderson

VAN: Edler

EDM: Yakupov

LAK: Martinez

SJS: Braun

ARI: Stone

DAL: Spezza

CHI: Shaw

STL: Berglund

NSH: Ekholm

COL: Grigorenko

MIN: Suter

WPG: Armia

WSH: Bowey

NYR: Hayes

NYI: Nelson

PIT: Hagelin

PHI: Laughton

CAR: Nash

NJD: Smith-Pelly

CBJ: Wennberg

FLA: Smith

BOS: Subban

TB: Stamkos! (but really Bishop)

DET: Abdelkader

OTT: Hoffman

MTL: Eller

BUF: Moulson

TOR: Hyman

Assuming they'd be going for a 23-man roster with these picks (and they could sign/trade further players from the 23) I've 'scratched' 7 of the picks as ones they might pass on. The D is probably too offensive (would they do something like pick Tryamkin instead of Edler to get more size/defence?) and I didn't really account for forward positions although I'm sure I have a number of centers in there.

Not a bad line up, the backend is definitely solid.

Berglund Spezza  Moulson

Nelson Eller Yakupov

Shaw Backlund Grigorenko

Abdelkader Laughton Smith-Pelly

Armia Wennberg

Edler - Suter

Martinez –Braun

Ekholm - Stone

Bowey

Bishop

Anderson

it's going to be really hard to make the expansion team exciting when most of the players left unprotected are teams cast offs. 

The NHL has said they want the team to have a chance to be competitive, so they've opened it up enough that teams will have to leave some good players unprotected. It'll depend on availability from there and trying to find players to fill needs out of the gate. Draft for talent and you can always find size and grinders on the cheap in free agency and trades.

+1 for doing the lineup though, I thought about it and said I've wasted enough time as is!

3 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

At the end of next season VIrtanen will heading into his 3rd year pro. 

Anyways, the point about this thread isn't about discussing the rules, we already have 3 of those, it's about discussing which team players will keep so that we can start to build the vegas roster. 

Teams gotta be smart, McCann has to put in the AHL, that way you can protect more players. Now I don't see a reason in protecting Sedins in 2 years, they will be on a huge decline.

41 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Not a bad line up, the backend is definitely solid.

Berglund Spezza  Moulson

Nelson Eller Yakupov

Shaw Backlund Grigorenko

Abdelkader Laughton Smith-Pelly

Armia Wennberg

Edler - Suter

Martinez –Braun

Ekholm - Stone

Bowey

Bishop

Anderson

it's going to be really hard to make the expansion team exciting when most of the players left unprotected are teams cast offs. 

trading Edler at the draft makes more sense then ever now. Grab some picks and move on. Because you are going to lose him for nothing now Benning, and this changes the whole idea of Benning's plan, we will suffer the most from this. Look at the players we are going to lose. 

Pedan, Tyramkin, atleast brought some excitement but if Trykramin gets going then you just know he will be nabbed. Doesn't make sense, young players shouldn't be eligible.

I notice a lot of you have Bowey as unprotected. I also know a lot of people wanted us to try and scoop him at the deadline for Hamhuis / Vrbata. Would this potential situation make him less expensive to pick up, knowing they might lose him anyway in a draft? Would it be to our advantage to try and trade for him and then protect him ouselves over someone else (Edler, Sbisa, etc)?

13 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

trading Edler at the draft makes more sense then ever now. Grab some picks and move on. Because you are going to lose him for nothing now Benning, and this changes the whole idea of Benning's plan, we will suffer the most from this. Look at the players we are going to lose. 

Pedan, Tyramkin, atleast brought some excitement but if Trykramin gets going then you just know he will be nabbed. Doesn't make sense, young players shouldn't be eligible.

I suspect we are going to see a lot of that this year.  The vote is expended to happen before the draft, so all the details should be figured out before then.  Teams will likely be wheeling and dealing at the draft in preparation for getting assets on players they might lose.  Goalies will like likely be one to watch.  A number of teams will have to choose whether they go with the young guy as a number 1 or still with the older player.  Pits, Stl, TB, WPG, ARZ will all be in that spot. 

It’s also important to remember that just because a team doesn’t protect a player doesn’t mean that player will get picked up.   

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I've long been made cross eyed even thinking about it. FSM bless those of you with the time and patience to go through all 30 teams and the as yet grey rules surrounding this.

Pure speculation at this point and the rules are hardly set in stone either. So basically I'm saying it wasn't worth my effort since it'll all change as we find out more in the coming weeks about what criteria they settle on. :(

I doubt Minnesota will protect Sprugeon or Brodin over Suter. Also, you're assuming this upcoming class of UFAs and RFAs are going to re-sign with their current club, for the 2017 season. 

On Detroit, Mantha will need to be protected, as well.

1 minute ago, shiznak said:

I doubt Minnesota will protect Sprugeon or Brodin over Suter. Also, you're assuming this upcoming class of UFAs and RFAs are going to re-signing with their current club, for the 2017 season. 

On Detroit, Mantha will need to be protected, as well.

From the minni fans I've talked to they would like to get rid of the sutter contract. Way to much term still left. And yes I'm assuming the players that are ufa this year are still under contract, it would be too hard to determine which players go and if they become a protected player. 

it is something Canucks will have to consider this summer when we sign a ufa. 

Good catch on Mantha

11 minutes ago, Lockhart said:

So an expansion team can come in and instantly build a playoff team. That's not right.......

It depends on how much money they are willing to spend and if they are willing to take on lengthy contracts.

Archived