The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Blackhawks bad asset management

Z Hockey

13 minutes ago, JV77 said:

And after getting rid of useful players for absolutely nothing, they are still contenders...How does that work?

Look at how many players they had to trade after the 2010 run.  And yet still remained a contender.  After the 2013 cup, they had to move key players and still remained a contender.  After the 2015 cup, they had to trade key players.  And again still a contender this year. 

People have said that they aren't gonna be good anymore after ever single cup...

You are seriously missing the point, yes they traded away half the roster basically many times, but they turned it into other good pieces that got them cups, over the years they've had to move Saad, Sharp, Byfuglien, Ladd, Brouwer, Versteeg, Leddy, Bolland, Stalberg, Kopecky, etc.   But what did they get out of those pieces?   They did quite good with moving those pieces, they got

Anisimov, Pokka, Dano, a lot of draft picks and cap space, and other depth players,  then they brought Versteeg back for very cheap and he helped them get another cup. They they turned Dano into bringing Ladd back, but then they very recently got sloppy with gaining assets back, RECENTLY they now have turned a lot of quality and quantity into barely some quantity.

1 minute ago, Z Hockey said:

You are seriously missing the point, yes they traded away half the roster basically many times, but they turned it into other good pieces that got them cups, over the years they've had to move Saad, Sharp, Byfuglien, Ladd, Brouwer, Versteeg, Leddy, Bolland, Stalberg, Kopecky, etc.   But what did they get out of those pieces?   They did quite good with moving those pieces, they got

Anisimov, Pokka, Dano, a lot of draft picks and cap space, and other depth players,  then they brought Versteeg back for very cheap and he helped them get another cup. They they turned Dano into bringing Ladd back, but then they very recently got sloppy with gaining assets back, RECENTLY they now have turned a lot of quality and quantity into barely some quantity.

I think you're missing the point and what the basic goal is of all 30 NHL teams...

2 minutes ago, Z Hockey said:

Yes Rangers, Nash recently came off an injury, think when he gets going, they also have arguably the best D corp in the league, and just added Eric Staal. Forget about that acquisition did you?

Nash-Stepan-K. Hayes

E. Staal-Brassard-Zuccarello

Kreider-O.Lindberg-J.T. Miller

Glass-D.Moore-Stalberg/Fast

Girardi-McDonagh

Yandle-Boyle

M. Staal-Klein

Nash doesn't impress me in the playoffs. Didn't forget. Didn't care. Stall hasn't had a sniff for a long time and he might be primed for a run. I haven't seen how well he's fit into their lineup since the deadline, maybe he turns out to be their version of Ladd.

If I had a choice I'd take the defensive corps of LA, Chicago, or even Washington over the Rangers. I think they snuck into the finals in a year the east was a bit sloppy, and while they are a decent team I don't see them getting through the rest of the east this year.

Tell you one thing though, the west will probably have an actual challenge no matter who gets there. Some stingy teams/goalies coming out of the east this season.

4 minutes ago, Devon Jade said:

Idc for the post. The only thing I'm concerned about regarding this thread is how discombobulated it is!

Does everyone on CDC have a broken keyboard?

Pretty pointless comment, it's called I was typing fast. Don't barge in with your Hawks pics and not give any opinion, info, or insight.

During the second intermission of the Rangers/Kings game tonight, Stan Bowman was talking about how he treats this as a business first and foremost and that if you start getting emotional attachments to players, you're never going to go anywhere and I thought this was bang on as to why he's been able to keep Chicago a contender for nearly a decade. While it's easy to say this, Bowman really follows through when he has to make the right business decision on trading players to keep the team playing at an elite level

55 minutes ago, JV77 said:

Their core is fairly young and I'm confident Bowman will do fine.  Every year they have new kids in their lineup.  Saad, Shaw, Tevo, lose Saad, in comes Panarin this season.

Seems like you and the OP rather have good asset management that cups...

Agreed...The core players for the Hawks are all young..As long as he has those players,he can afford to slip up..Plus, they're always finding impact players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds  of the draft (As are the Kings....Should be noted that the Canucks drafting through the 2nd and 3rd rounds has been awful )

1 hour ago, JV77 said:They don't need to make many moves when you have Kane, Toews, Hossa, Keith, and Seabrook locked up.  And I would say getting Ladd is a pretty good move.

Who has won anything this year?  Last time I checked playoffs haven't even started.  And I'm sure you like many others said they will be bad after every cup run.

Who cares that they have a core locked up? Even Vancouver's core locked up is still good with the Sedins being in the top ten in scoring, we just don't have the top six/nine depth like them, that's where we're really re-building is in that area at the moment. So many teams have just as good a core and a better bottom nine 

Stars have Seguin, Benn, Sharp, Nichushkin, Goligoski, and Klingberg

Ducks have Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Fowler, Vatanen, and just added Perron, J. McGinn and Pirri, Hawks added Ladd??

Perron, Silfverberg ,McGinn, Pirri    >>>   Hossa and Ladd (Hossa recently inured AGAIN and right before playoffs)

Blues when healthy will have Tarasenko, Steen, Backes, Schwartz, Berglund, Brouwer, Pietriangelo, Shattenkirk

Hawks forward group compared to other teams 

Kings

Panarin-Anisimov-P. Kane                      Lucic-Kopitar-Toffoli

Ladd-Toews-Hossa                                 Pearson-Carter-Lecavalier        When Gaborik gets healthy, LA 

Fleischmann-Teravainen-Shaw     =       Brown-Shore-Versteeg               will be just as dangerous as

Mashinter-Desjardins-Weise                  Clifford-King-Lewis                      Chicago or probably better.

Rasmussen/Panik                                  Nolan/Andreoff

(Kruger injured)          

Rangers

Panarin-Anisimov-P. Kane                    Nash-Stepan-K. Hayes                Those top six are equal and I'd 

Ladd-Toews-Hossa                               E. Staal-Brassard-Zuccarello       rather have Kreider, Miller, &

Fleischmann-Teravainen-Shaw   <       Kreider-O.Lindberg-J.T. Miller      Moore than Fleischmann, 

Mashinter-Desjardins-Weise                Glass-D.Moore-Stalberg/Fast       Weise and Desjardins in my 

Rasmussen/Panik                                Megna                                            bottom 9 Lol.

Ducks

Panarin-Anisimov-P. Kane                    Perron-Getzlaf-Perry               Extremely close matchup, Ducks

Ladd-Toews-Hossa                               Pirri-Kesler-Silfverberg           have the edge with their D depth.

Fleischmann-Teravainen-Shaw            Cogliano-Rakell-J. McGinn          

Mashinter-Desjardins-Weise                 N. Ritchie-Thompson-Garbutt

Rasmussen/Panik                                 Horcoff/Santorelli   (Chris Stewart injured)

Stars

Panarin-Anisimov-P. Kane                     Benn-Seguin-Sharp

Ladd-Toews-Hossa                                Hemsky-Spezza-Nichushkin

Fleischmann-Teravainen-Shaw    =       Roussel-Eakin-Janmark

Mashinter-Desjardins-Weise                  Faksa-Fiddler-Eaves

Rasmussen/Panik                                   Sceviour/Moen

1 hour ago, JV77 said:

I think you're missing the point and what the basic goal is of all 30 NHL teams...

Yeah....... Ok then... Let me know how Chicagos blueline handles the playoffs with Trevor Van Riemsdyk and his no experience

being rushed into top four minutes in the playoffs and freaking Michal Roszival there as depth ahaha. Ehrhoff won't be much help for D depth either. Many other teams like the Rangers D depth would crush the Hawks,

Marc Staal and Kevin Klein as their bottom pairing? That's a top pairing on an ok team any day of the week.

18 minutes ago, Z Hockey said:

Yeah....... Ok then... Let me know how Chicagos blueline handles the playoffs with Trevor Van Riemsdyk and his no experience

being rushed into top four minutes in the playoffs and freaking Michal Roszival there as depth ahaha. Ehrhoff won't be much help for D depth either. Many other teams like the Rangers D depth would crush the Hawks,

Marc Staal and Kevin Klein as their bottom pairing? That's a top pairing on an ok team any day of the week.

rozy.jpg

1 hour ago, Green Building said:

Nash doesn't impress me in the playoffs. Didn't forget. Didn't care. Stall hasn't had a sniff for a long time and he might be primed for a run. I haven't seen how well he's fit into their lineup since the deadline, maybe he turns out to be their version of Ladd.

If I had a choice I'd take the defensive corps of LA, Chicago, or even Washington over the Rangers. I think they snuck into the finals in a year the east was a bit sloppy, and while they are a decent team I don't see them getting through the rest of the east this year.

Tell you one thing though, the west will probably have an actual challenge no matter who gets there. Some stingy teams/goalies coming out of the east this season.

You'd take Chicagos D over the Rangers?? Ok let's first compare the top four

Keith-Seabrook                     =                 Girardi-McDonagh            Very close matchup in the top four.

Hjalmarsson-van Riemsdyk  =                Yandle-Boyle                      

Bottom pairing goes to NYR, not even close

Roszival-Ehrhoff      <<<     Klein-M. Staal

Staal/Klein- +19, 31 points, combined 39:58 ice time.

Ehrhoff/Roszival- -11, 20 points, combined 30:39 ice time (Roszival injured or a healthy scratch fairly often)

10 minutes ago, JV77 said:

rozy.jpg

Wow you got me there, so what he's got a cup? He was on a cup caliber team, Aaron Rome and

Andrew Alberts were depth D men on cup winning teams too, didn't make them great.  Roszival is now two years older, slower and this season has already had injury problems and been a frequent healthy scratch.

8 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

No doubt Chicago mortgages their future year after year but with 3 cups and a possible one either this year or next. Having 4 Cups in 8 years means the team will have a strong fan base even by the time the team has to rebuild.

I'm not just talking about mortgaging future, they've lost good veterans in Sharp, Daley, Garbutt, and Scuderi AND then youngsters in Johns and Sekac. Now all they have is Ehrhoff to show for it who will likely walk as a UFA, and Chicago will not be winning the cup again, they will be crushed by much deeper teams.

3 minutes ago, Z Hockey said:

You'd take Chicagos D over the Rangers?? Ok let's first compare the top four

Keith-Seabrook                     =                 Girardi-McDonagh            Very close matchup in the top four.

Hjalmarsson-van Riemsdyk  =                Yandle-Boyle                      

Bottom pairing goes to NYR, not even close

Roszival-Ehrhoff      <<<     Klein-M. Staal

Staal/Klein- +19, 31 points, combined 39:58 ice time.

Ehrhoff/Roszival- -11, 20 points, combined 30:39 ice time (Roszival injured or a healthy scratch fairly often)

Lol are you serious the Rangers defense is so overrated.

Girardi is overpaid, overplayed and frankly just not that good anymore. Staal has also declined significantly. Using +/- is a pitiful argument. Maybe you should ask Rangers fans how they feel about their defense. 

You seem unfamiliar with the Hawks as they have two young defenseman that have really impressed this season in Gus and Svedberg. Ehrhoff has been decent in his brief stretch. Oduya was always overrated, Hjalmarsson was the straw that stirred the drink on that pairing.

It is true that the Hawks have not managed their assets very well. Danault, Dahlbeck, 2 1sts, 2 2nds, Paliotta, Saad, Johns, Sharp, Dano were all traded for less valuable assets but what the Hawks could use to win a Cup. They need to capitalize on Keith and Seabrook's remaining years. Asset management goes out the window when you are chasing your 4th Cup in 7 years and a chance at cementing your team as a dynasty. The Hawks time is now, you can never know when that window will close.

16 minutes ago, Z Hockey said:

Wow you got me there, so what he's got a cup? He was on a cup caliber team, Aaron Rome and

Andrew Alberts were depth D men on cup winning teams too, didn't make them great.  Roszival is now two years older, slower and this season has already had injury problems and been a frequent healthy scratch.

End of thread...

48 minutes ago, Toews said:

Lol are you serious the Rangers defense is so overrated.

Girardi is overpaid, overplayed and frankly just not that good anymore. Staal has also declined significantly. Using +/- is a pitiful argument. Maybe you should ask Rangers fans how they feel about their defense. 

You seem unfamiliar with the Hawks as they have two young defenseman that have really impressed this season in Gus and Svedberg. Ehrhoff has been decent in his brief stretch. Oduya was always overrated, Hjalmarsson was the straw that stirred the drink on that pairing.

It is true that the Hawks have not managed their assets very well. Danault, Dahlbeck, 2 1sts, 2 2nds, Paliotta, Saad, Johns, Sharp, Dano were all traded for less valuable assets but what the Hawks could use to win a Cup. They need to capitalize on Keith and Seabrook's remaining years. Asset management goes out the window when you are chasing your 4th Cup in 7 years and a chance at cementing your team as a dynasty. The Hawks time is now, you can never know when that window will close.

I'm not unfamiliar with any team, I never usually use plus minus or stats at all I was just trying to make a point. But regardless of the Rangers D, it is better and all around deeper than the Hawks, I am aware of Gustafsson who's been OK. Shame Edmonton let Gustafsson get away, and Svedberg is in Rockford again. Ehrhoff is only an offensive upgrade on Scuderi, Scuderi has more cup winning experience and leadership.  About the Rangers D again, McDonagh is a pretty frickin good 2-way D man and Yandle is still a 50 point great D man, Klein is zoned in defensively always and has had career high in offensive numbers with NYR, Staal is steady and better than Chicagos bottom pairing man in Roszival. Teams are getting stronger around the Hawks and their asset management is getting shakier and they are running out of options. I think St. Louis fully healthy could knock Chicago out in the first round.

1 hour ago, Z Hockey said:

They ran with TvR last year in the playoffs and they turned out fine. Won a Cup riding on Keith, Seabrook, and Hjalmarsson. They'll do the same this postseason.

56 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Your not looking at it too 1+1=2. They made bad trades they also aquired arguably the best player traded at the deadline. One does not happen without the other. Adding Ladd makes their lineup much harder to match than they were before said bad trades.

Big deal, LA added Lecavalier, L. Schenn, and Versteeg, then they will get Gaborik healthy next, imagine that top six. Anaheim added J. McGinn and Pirri, with Chris Stewart healthy the Ducks will have a crazy amount of depth, Boston added Stempniak and Liles, Pittsburgh since adding Hagelin, Hagelin has been fantastic with Sid, then they added J. Schultz. Colorado added Boedker, Matthias, and Eric Gelinas. So many teams got just as strong or stronger than Chicago, Ladd means diddly squat for that top six if Hossa gets injured again, which he likely will, they're without Kruger right now too, if Hossa is injured again Chicago is for sure toast.

Teravainen, Fleischmann, or Panik, aren't gonna replace him lol.

I just don't see the depth they had before compared to previous seasons especially on D.

Archived