The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No CHL prospects joining the Comets?

snizzle_

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I thought if they were on the roster at some point, even on a conditioning stint, they could be sent down. No?

Any player in the NHL has to be on the AHL roster at 3pm on TDL day to be sent to eligible to play in the AHL after TDL day. It's  CBA rule.

1 minute ago, UticaHockey said:

Any player in the NHL has to be on the AHL roster at 3pm on TDL day to be sent to eligible to play in the AHL after TDL day. It's  CBA rule.

So technically they could have been held out of the Canucks roster and sent down on a conditioning stint.

25 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So technically they could have been held out of the Canucks roster and sent down on a conditioning stint.

I can't see that being a possibility unless you faked 2 injuries. Even then I'm sure they'd block it. 

41 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Doesn't make sense to me. Does anyone here think that McCann and Virtanen are too good for the AHL right now?

It was explained to me that for them to get some games in Utica they would have had to wait for their Junior teams' season to end; however, they would have had to be on that team when that happened. But the deadline for them to be sent down was much earlier in the year (January I think), so in order for them to able to play for Utica "now" they would have missed experience in about 30 NHL games, in which they were both getting significantly more ice time. 

Depends on what you see as more valuable to their development: increased ice time in the NHL or playoff experience in the AHL.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Corrado?  

He finished his junior season so he could go to the ahl after, just like Jake did last year. We didn't keep him as a 19yr old. 

Nobody is going to pull that fast one on the league and you'd look like a dummy for even trying. 

9 minutes ago, thad said:

He finished his junior season so he could go to the ahl after, just like Jake did last year. We didn't keep him as a 19yr old. 

Nobody is going to pull that fast one on the league and you'd look like a dummy for even trying. 

Corrado for the Leafs this season?  The league let that slide?

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

As a few have mentioned the only way McCann and Virtanen could have played for the Comets was being sent back to Juniors and playing at least 10 regular season games and finishing the year with their junior team. Once their team was eliminated then they could have been sent to the AHL, no conditioning stint could have changed that rule.

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

Corrado for the Leafs this season?  The league let that slide?

I don't really know what you're asking? It's not even remotely the same situation. Corrado was a 23yr old sent down without waivers on a conditioning stint because they sat him out for a few weeks. Jake and Jared are 19. You could sit them 15 games, send them down and say "hah gotcha! They were on a conditioning stint and on the roster, so you have to let them play in the playoffs when the season is over!!"... The leagues just going to say "nice try bud, have fun explaining your sixth overalls stunted development to your fans.. He's not playing"

Honestly, jim must be doing a good job if people have to reach for these kinds of "missed opportunities" to crucify him. 

Archived