The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No CHL prospects joining the Comets?

snizzle_

I was wondering why none of our CHL prospect have joined the comets since being eliminated from the playoffs. I guess since the Canucks season ending allowed many loaned players to return and therefor have no space for them? Just seems like every teams has junior players joining their AHL affiliates and just getting a taste/accustomed to the organization on a more professional level.

6 minutes ago, junglesniper said:

I was wondering why none of our CHL prospect have joined the comets since being eliminated from the playoffs. I guess since the Canucks season ending allowed many loaned players to return and therefor have no space for them? Just seems like every teams has junior players joining their AHL affiliates and just getting a taste/accustomed to the organization on a more professional level.

I'd honestly suspect that most of them aren't good enough to make the team at the moment. Also, they'd mess with the chemistry already in place.

Next year, Utica's going to be stacked. Gaunce could be their for another year, Grenier maybe, if he clears waivers but I think its time to give Grenier a clear shot. 

Jasek, Stetcher, Neill, possibly McCann, etc.

Neill's the only one. He'll probably get a one-game audition before the playoffs but that's about it. There wasn't really much sense in sending their players to Utica since they aren't good enough to crack the playoff roster and all of them except for Zhukenov are defencemen (Neill, Olson, Brisebois) - Utica's problems have been up front, their defense has been solid and healthy for the most part.

33 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Next year, Utica's going to be stacked. Gaunce could be their for another year, Grenier maybe, if he clears waivers but I think its time to give Grenier a clear shot. 

I thought Gaunce would have to clear waivers next season

could be wrong though

22 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It's a shame that Virtanen and McCann couldn't join the Comets.

Both their CHL teams have been eliminated from the payoffs.

I wonder if this is a missed opportunity to get these guys some playoff hockey in the AHL.

Are they eligible? Did the Canuck management mess up this opportunity by not putting them on some list?

1 minute ago, Stanky Legs said:

Are they eligible? Did the Canuck management mess up this opportunity by not putting them on some list?

I think if they had put them on the roster before the freeze they could be playing in Utica right now. So yes they probably did.

59 minutes ago, Odd. said:

demko.....? maybeeeee/hopefully

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It's a shame that Virtanen and McCann couldn't join the Comets.

Both their CHL teams have been eliminated from the payoffs.

I wonder if this is a missed opportunity to get these guys some playoff hockey in the AHL.

I think it's because the management crew decided against "paper"ing them. Meaning they were allowed if we included them on a list, but they decided not to.

10 minutes ago, kazin! said:

I think it's because the management crew decided against "paper"ing them. Meaning they were allowed if we included them on a list, but they decided not to.

I don't think Virtanen and McCann were eligible to be "papered". Being papered involves you being sent down legally, which means that Virtanen and McCann would have had to have been sent to their Junior teams to have been eligible to play in Utica at season's end. However, if sent down to Junior they could not be recalled to the NHL even if it was just "papered".

Or atleast that's my understanding of it.

I thought maybe Zhukenov and Olson could have atleast been sent to practice/learn in Utica under Travis Green.

20 minutes ago, kazin! said:

Doesn't make sense to me. Does anyone here think that McCann and Virtanen are too good for the AHL right now?

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Doesn't make sense to me. Does anyone here think that McCann and Virtanen are too good for the AHL right now?

If it was up to me both should be doing full time in Utica next season.

JB should only let Matthews play for the Canucks next year.

17 minutes ago, junglesniper said:

I don't think Virtanen and McCann were eligible to be "papered". Being papered involves you being sent down legally, which means that Virtanen and McCann would have had to have been sent to their Junior teams to have been eligible to play in Utica at season's end. However, if sent down to Junior they could not be recalled to the NHL even if it was just "papered".

Or atleast that's my understanding of it.

I thought maybe Zhukenov and Olson could have atleast been sent to practice/learn in Utica under Travis Green.

You are correct. Virtanen and McCann were not eligible to be papered and could not join the Comets after the NHL season ended. They were 19 year old NHL players and not junior players.

1 minute ago, UticaHockey said:

You are correct. Virtanen and McCann were not eligible to be papered and could not join the Comets after the NHL season ended. They were 19 year old NHL players and not junior players.

I thought if they were on the roster at some point, even on a conditioning stint, they could be sent down. No?

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I thought if they were on the roster at some point, even on a conditioning stint, they could be sent down. No?

You can't just be placed on a conditional stint under normal circumstances. There shouldn't be loopholes like that. I'm glad the rules are in place the way they are, to be honest. 

Glad to hear that Neill made the trip Utica.

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hey!  That's brilliant DeNiro.  Now why did JB and his boys not think of that?  Oh gee, could it be because they are...(you fill in the blank)

Archived