The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[mafia] All the way up (Game on)

otherwise

2 hours ago, JAY JAY said:

You have a tp catch phrase? I truly didn't know that!

And your point?

I will accept, WOAT sheriff, WOAT tp, or even WOAT player, but NOT WOAT doctor! I was following a plan, and it worked!

:P

sometimes when I'm TP, I'll say my catch phrase to prove I'm TP... which means you should prolly save me cause the mafia are gonna try and kill me :P

35 minutes ago, Dral said:

sometimes when I'm TP, I'll say my catch phrase to prove I'm TP... which means you should prolly save me cause the mafia are gonna try and kill me :P

Dude you need to lay that to rest; it's totally against the spirit of the game. 

Pretty much every other mafia forum that I know of outright prohibits things like that.

Trust Tell

A Trust Tell is a specialized behavior a player may use to "prove" their alignment in any arbitrary game via a personal meta argument. For instance, a player may promise that they are Town if and only if they actually are Town in a game, and will use that self-imposed rule when they draw Town as an argument to confirm their alignment whenever they see fit.

The purpose of a trust tell is not to break it at some point in the future and coast on it to win. It's far more effective to keep it up indefinitely, as it will "prove" the player's alignment in game after game.

Definition

A trust tell fits both of the following criteria:

• The player insists that they only do this behavior as a certain alignment, and never as any other alignment.
  • The player, over the course of multiple games, only does this behavior as a certain alignment, and never as any other alignment.

The first criterion on its own may be a lie, but may still be punishable as a trust tell in the making, depending on the severity (see also the rule on promises). The second criterion is a meta tell. There is a blurry line at a player knowing that they only perform some behavior as a given alignment and the player actively advertising it for personal gain - typically this activity is punishable when the latter occurs.

In addition, trust tells often degrade your chances of winning as one alignment (usually scum) for an increased chance of winning as another alignment (usually town). This is playing against your Win Condition and punishable in its own right.

Punishment

Trust tells are banned sitewide at mafiascum.net for these reasons:

• They constitute an out-of-game influence in the game. For instance, the red text of truth (i.e. all text in red is guaranteed to be true to the player's knowledge) is a construct outside the game used for personal meta purposes.
  • They degrade the quality of the game and are tedious to deal with. For instance, establishing a meta of always self-hammering when placed at L-1 as scum means that the optimal play is to always run that player to L-1 at the start of every game.

Players found to use trust tells will be forcibly replaced and banned from signing up for new games for a length of time.

I will say this on the game... I feel much as BW does. And it would extra suck if I was a Mafia this game. There is no doubt AVs role was OPed and there was no counterbalance given to the Mafia.

That being said I had a lot of fun this game getting to be in on the slaughter, and otherwise did warn us that it was a Dral themed game. 

I have gotten madder over less in this game but have come to learn that really the results don't matter so much just playing and having fun with you lot of nerds is my joy from it. I think if this role was ever to be included again (and I do like the role and have thought about it in the past but was never sure how to implement it) there would need to be at least two Mafia teams to make it work and something extra given to the Mafia to compensate, just so it isn't an automatic win should the agent succeed in infiltration.

11 hours ago, Beluga Whale said:

Dude you need to lay that to rest; it's totally against the spirit of the game. 

Pretty much every other mafia forum that I know of outright prohibits things like that.

Trust Tell

A Trust Tell is a specialized behavior a player may use to "prove" their alignment in any arbitrary game via a personal meta argument. For instance, a player may promise that they are Town if and only if they actually are Town in a game, and will use that self-imposed rule when they draw Town as an argument to confirm their alignment whenever they see fit.

The purpose of a trust tell is not to break it at some point in the future and coast on it to win. It's far more effective to keep it up indefinitely, as it will "prove" the player's alignment in game after game.

Definition

A trust tell fits both of the following criteria:

• The player insists that they only do this behavior as a certain alignment, and never as any other alignment.
  • The player, over the course of multiple games, only does this behavior as a certain alignment, and never as any other alignment.

The first criterion on its own may be a lie, but may still be punishable as a trust tell in the making, depending on the severity (see also the rule on promises). The second criterion is a meta tell. There is a blurry line at a player knowing that they only perform some behavior as a given alignment and the player actively advertising it for personal gain - typically this activity is punishable when the latter occurs.

In addition, trust tells often degrade your chances of winning as one alignment (usually scum) for an increased chance of winning as another alignment (usually town). This is playing against your Win Condition and punishable in its own right.

Punishment

Trust tells are banned sitewide at mafiascum.net for these reasons:

• They constitute an out-of-game influence in the game. For instance, the red text of truth (i.e. all text in red is guaranteed to be true to the player's knowledge) is a construct outside the game used for personal meta purposes.
  • They degrade the quality of the game and are tedious to deal with. For instance, establishing a meta of always self-hammering when placed at L-1 as scum means that the optimal play is to always run that player to L-1 at the start of every game.

Players found to use trust tells will be forcibly replaced and banned from signing up for new games for a length of time.

I would say  bite me you big fatty fat fat, but you need to go on a diet, so please don't bite me

2 minutes ago, fwybwed said:

Ugh....if that means what I think it means....that seems painful...:sick:

I means exactly what you think it does, if you think it means: bumfiddle  - to pollute or spoil something, in particular by scribbling or drawing on a document to make it invalid. Someone who does so is a bumfiddler. And it is painful especially if that document was very important like a birth certificate or important legal documents. 

1 hour ago, Aladeen said:

I means exactly what you think it does, if you think it means: bumfiddle  - to pollute or spoil something, in particular by scribbling or drawing on a document to make it invalid. Someone who does so is a bumfiddler. And it is painful especially if that document was very important like a birth certificate or important legal documents. 

Yep that's it...damn painful indeedy.

Since no one else wants to host...

I propose someone new steps up and I'll co-host with them.. I don't have time to play or really host, but I'd love to lend my knowledge, wisdom, experience and bat shiz craziness to the cause to try and keep this game running... 

Any suckers ermm I mean volunteers want to step up ? If not, I'll just host a Dral game to end all Dral games... spoiler alert - you all lose!

4 hours ago, Dral said:

Since no one else wants to host...

I propose someone new steps up and I'll co-host with them.. I don't have time to play or really host, but I'd love to lend my knowledge, wisdom, experience and bat shiz craziness to the cause to try and keep this game running... 

Any suckers ermm I mean volunteers want to step up ? If not, I'll just host a Dral game to end all Dral games... spoiler alert - you all lose!

Everyone always loses when you host! 

If no one new wants to host a game and have their brains polluted with Dral knowledge, wisdom, experience and bat $&!#e... then I am willing to host a super Vanilla, no PMing, no flavour game.

13 Players 

3 Mafia

1 Sheriff

9 VT

22 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

If no one new wants to host a game and have their brains polluted with Dral knowledge, wisdom, experience and bat $&!#e... then I am willing to host a super Vanilla, no PMing, no flavour game.

13 Players 

3 Mafia

1 Sheriff

9 VT

go for it!

I'm out :P

Archived